Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Are road cassette the same as MTB cassette?
  • DickBarton

Got a request from someone in the bike club to help swap a road cassette on their bike. I’m assuming a road cassette (Shimano) is HG the same as MTB and the HG cassette lockring remover will fit the same?

If not, I’m going to look very stupid!

njee20
    Free Member

11 speed no, MTB are narrower, road ones need a proper 11 speed free hub body.

10 speed road are 0.75mm narrower technically, but come with the requisite spacer to sort it out, so non-issue.

7-8-9 speed identical.

simondbarnes

and the HG cassette lockring remover will fit the same?

Correct

DickBarton

Nice one thanks…so my HG remover will work on the road cassette and I can fit the new road cassette on the existing road wheel.

I was asking as I’ve only ever had MTB kit so I know the HG remover works fine on MTB cassettes.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, that’ll work fine, apologies, assumed you meant you were swapping between road/MTB cassettes. No different tools needed!

DickBarton

Ideal thanks…I should have made it clearer on my first post.

ferrals
    Free Member

If they are different lengths does that mean you can’t switch a 10sp freehub for an 11sp one on a road bike? Was wondering about converting my 9sp to 11sp and was thinking it would be possible to switch freehub body and keep same hub

njee20
    Free Member

Depends on the hub. Most of the big brands do 11 speed freehub bodies, they’re only 2.5mm wider, so still fit in ok.

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers njee. stans hub and saw a conversion kit (i think) but was then wondering if it would fit frame but 2.5mm not much difference!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Are road cassette the same as MTB cassette?’ is closed to new replies.