Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Are road and gravel wheels the same?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Potentially looking to replace the wheels on my gravel bike as they are heavier than the ones on my trail bike but are road disc wheels the same thing as gravel wheels? Should I be looking for internal width as a guide? And can anyone recommend any wheels which are reasonably light but don’t cost the earth?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Mason X Hunt 4 season gravel wheels… pre order for August delivery though.

anagallis_arvensis

I have some wiggle prime race wheels, they do different ones now but they are good value in terms of weight.

titusrider
    Free Member

Look for, wider rims, Must be tubeless ready, More spokes (28 rather than 24) and better hub sealing

Don’t go less than about 1500g in my opinion. Go really heavy duty if you wan to loaded bikepack a lot

I got these and can’t recommend highly enough, but cheaper alloy equivalents are available, but look at the width for example.
    Stayer gravel wheels

tinribz
    Free Member

Wheels are a minefield at the moment.

Yes road disc same as gravel size wise. Mtb shorter hub width, but you can put a mtb cassette on road hub with spacers? And run a mtb wheel & cassette on a road bike?

Also, I have some Prime Kansa 650b only couple of rides old available.

Daffy

just to add further confusion, some 11sp road cassettes are the same width as 11sp MTN cassetes and also require a spacer on 11sp road wheel but will of course work with MTN hubs. 🙂

Gravel wheels are generally slightly wider (internally) than road wheels but can run higher pressures than 29er MTB wheels which are radialy the same dimension as road and gravel wheels at 622mm.

Personally, for gravel, I use XC 29er rims on road hubs and spokes. this allows for a nice light wheel, but precludes the possibility of using anything less than 30mm tyres as the rims will only support a max pressure of 75psi. For me this isn’t a problem as I use 32mm tubeless road tyes and 40mm gravel tyres. My lightest wheelset is 1408g on not particularly light Chris King hubs.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Groad.

It’s the new gravel.

13thfloormonk

I’m running road wheels, in this case Pacenti Forza rims laced to DT 350 hubs.

I don’t run tubeless on my gravel bike but the rims are tubeless ready. The hubs are road bike spacing though (130mm OLD) but that’s OK as my frame is inbetweeny size e.g. 132.5mm. Most gravel frames can probably only run 135mm hubs because of the discs.

That said, if it’s a disc brake frame it’s probably through axle so any hub or wheel would probably be 135mm as standard?

white101

Been looking for a non road wheelset to get me off road and I’ve recently spent far to long trying to work out what is compatible with my frame and what might have QR’s not axles and rim width and tyre size and disc ready and in stock before 2022.

Changed my mind now as its complicated (forgive my tiny non-understanding brain) and just looking for an N+1 instead.

roverpig

I put the regular Hunt 4 season wheels on my gravel bike this summer. They are only 1mm narrower than the “gravel” version, which wasn’t in stock at the time. I’ve hammered them over a fair few rocks with 38mm gravelking tyres on and they are still running true, if that’s any help.

bob_summers

I’ve had to tweak the rim walls straight a few times on my Hunt 4 Seasons. They’d be well up to the job to be honest and I can’t fault them but there’s no “gravel” here so I just ride my tamer MTB trails. That’s with fairly tough 38mm tyres at 30 to 40psi.

Incidentally I’m building a fire road fixie (cringe) which is why I opened the thread – track spacing and currently all my track wheels are tubular and unsealed hubs (Record pista). I might have to build a set to get what I want – track spacing, 40mm tubeless, sealed, with brake track, as nothing comes to mind.

tomhoward

My gravel bike wheels are MTB wheels. Hope Pro 2 Evos, 142×12 and 100×12 (change of endcaps required for the front) taken off a Santa Cruz 5010, laced to WTB KOM i25s that are wider internally than 2 of my MTBs wheelsets…

rOcKeTdOg

It all depends on what you ride on your gravel bike. If it’s predominantly road and the odd tame bridleway then a road wheel with narrow rims will be fine. If you have the habit of throwing in down “inappropriate” trails you usually ride on your XC bike go for something s bit wider. I’ve got 25mm internal rims on the 700 set and 26mm on the 650bs. Heavier than road rims but I’ve got the confidence it’ll get me down most trails albeit slower than the mtb & still cruise at a reasonable speed on tarmac.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Are road and gravel wheels the same?’ is closed to new replies.