Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • are retal links seen as a bad thing?
  • pt81
    Free Member

Some fourms do’nt like you putting retal links in anwser of search requests, where does STW stand.

xcgb
    Free Member

Eh?

annebr
    Free Member

What is retal?

stevied
    Free Member

Think there’s a ‘C’ missing in the search criteria 😀

jekkyl

it’s petal, he’s on about flowers, you pansy.

stevied
    Free Member

Nah, it’s fetal, you big baby

pt81
    Free Member

Sorry, mixing my french and english 😳 but it gave a chance for the comedians. 😆

What i ment to say was do STW mind if we put in shop/sale links.

wwaswas

no, as long as it’s not astroturfing. If you have an interest declare it.

tomhoward

yes.

pt81
    Free Member

No personel interest just helping out.

julianwilson
    Free Member

It seems to be the norm on here to use a link to show parts to someone, eg “recommend me a chain tug” etc. or i have been known to hotlink just the picture from a shop website by way of explanation or info.

It doesn’t mean you have to buy it from the shop you linked to but i am sure crc don’t mind the traffic. Lost count of the times i have clicked on a link in a thread to crc and ended up buying something different cos i spotted it or thought to look for it once i was there…

What would be extra clever would be if the site here got ‘clickthrough’ payments back from purchases made via links on threads in the forum. I inhabit a totally unrelated nerdy-forum where this is very much the case with a number of well-used retailers (incl amazon iirc), and the website owner and forum members are equally happy with the arrangement.

chrisa87
    Free Member

Astroturfing?

wwaswas

just helping out.

if you’re just posting a thread for a freinds shop/business that’s not good.

if someone asks ‘where’s good to get x’ and you say ‘my freind is sellign them here: ‘ then that’s ok.

I am not a moderator though.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Ah yes astroturfing. :D. It seems to be a sport on here to spot and shame the astroturfers. 😆

Oh and sportpursuit links are frowned on here, as this would otherwise be a quick way for members to get multiple £5 credits for people who sign on, as the link you post links back to your account. I believe the norm is to post a generic link to sportpursuit and if people want to sign up then they can do so on their own and if they are really grateful i suppose they could always ask you for a ‘referral’ privately.

pt81
    Free Member

Do’nt get the wrong end of the stick, i just anwsered someone’s request for bike bits with a shop link and afterwords thought that it would be frownd upon.

njee20
    Free Member

Nope, not all threads are as dictatorial as (for example) WeightWeenies. You’re fine.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘are retal links seen as a bad thing?’ is closed to new replies.