Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Are people allowed to randomly fire shotguns?
  • spacemonkey

Over the last 3-4 weeks we’ve heard several sustained periods of what sounds like shotguns being fired locally. There are no ranges nearby and neither are there any shoots going on. We reckon its a teenage whose been given a “present” and is out impressing his mates somewhere in the woods/fields, especially now school’s out.

No way of telling what direction it’s coming from. Surrounded by fields, woods, a few farms and not many houses.

Anything we can do to investigate as it really doesn’t sound good?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sounds like a bird scarer to me.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes they are.

spacemonkey

Never happened in these parts before though Flashy. Just doesn’t feel right IYKWIM.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is it waking tarquin up ?

Part of living in the countryside im afraid.

samuri
    Free Member

Once you own and license a shotgun you can fire away randomly to your heart’s content.

And I see you’re surrounded by fields, farms and woods. That’s exactly where people do it.

tootallpaul

I’d guess a bird scarer…

Was cucling down in Alton the other day when one went off. Scared the bejesus out of me!

Edric64
    Free Member

You live in a rural area and are surprised to hear shotgun fire? I have heard it in every rural location I have lived .Probably farm boys lamping for bunnies

spacemonkey

We both grew up in the country so are not averse to what happens in these parts. But like I said, we’ve never heard it like this before. I reckon 100 shots have been fired since midday alone.

samuri
    Free Member

Someone rich then. That sounds like a private shoot of some description

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Clay pidgeon practising?

I have a friend with a license who often takes us out for a shoot/lamping.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Landowner’s permission and that? If the landowner heard it going on without having given consent, wouln’t they take action? And, with luck, someone will comment about how close to a right-of-way it’s allowed.

slowjo
    Free Member

oooh….lamping for bunnies. What you do in the winter at night, when you aren’t out riding.

Bird Scarer + 1 probably.

Otherwise, someone expending a lot of powder and lead. As said before, if they have a licence and permission to shoot on the land they can bang away to their heart’s content or until they run out of money.

binners

Maybe Big Vern has escaped the city, and is hiding out for his last stand. Have there been any cries of ‘you’ll never take me alive coppa!’

spacemonkey

sounds like a private shoot of some description

Yes, probably the most likely scenario methinks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

private shoot

bang away to their heart’s content

Fnaar, fnaar.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

someone will comment about how close to a right-of-way it’s allowed.

Judging by the fact one of our neighbors stands with his back to the major A road shooting clays into his field, I’d say pretty close.

MrSmith
    Free Member

private shoot?
    you must be townies then, most country dwellers will be aware of the seasons for game, it could be a bird scarer, people pigeon shooting or clays and as for ‘pretty close’ i think its 45yds from the queens highway but it’s a while since i have perused the firearms act.

rusty90
    Free Member

someone will comment about how close to a right-of-way it’s allowed.

Ok, I’ll bite – from BASC :

In England and Wales it is an offence without lawful authority or reasonable excuse to discharge any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway, and in consequence a user of the carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered. [Section 161(2) of the Highways Act 1980 as amended]. It is important to remember that the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited in itself. It must also be proved that there was an injury, or that someone’s passage was interrupted or interfered with e.g. they have been forced to make a detour.

For the purposes of Section 161 (2) of the Highways Act 1980 (as amended), a ‘highway’ is restricted to a public right of way for the passage of vehicles and does not include footpaths, cycle tracks or bridleways. Therefore the fifty feet rule described above does not apply to rights of ways that cross private lands e.g. footpaths.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Come on fellas – it’s not a bird scarer – these things are called craw bangers. Craw banging deviants is what’s causing your problems.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its my land rover on over run 😉

butcher

Clay pidgeon practising?

There’s a farm near me where you regularly see a couple of guys shooting clay pidgeons on a Sunday afternoon. Couple of shots every two minutes. I thought it was a bit wild at first (it’s not even that rural), until I seen what was going on.

samuri
    Free Member

you must be townies then

Nope, very much a country boy. Perhaps I should have clarified as a private clay shoot. Used to operate the traps for a big estate where I grew up.

Jamie
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis

Firing randomly would be bad, could end up shooting themselves.
    Down with random shooting I say.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Clay pidgeon practising?

Whatever next? China patois rehearsals?

codybrennan
    Free Member

No railways nearby?

dashed
    Free Member

Odds on its someone shooting pigeons… Bit of red currant jelly and some lardons – nomnomnom 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

Whatever next? China Porcelain patois rehearsals?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“You live in a rural area and are surprised to hear shotgun fire? I have heard it in every rural location I have lived.”

Hear random shooting a lot. Everyones packing in somerset, and everyones mums. It’s normal.

Cornetto anyone?

CountZero

Possibly someone with one of these:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_o3YsUVAyQ&sns=em[/video]
    UTS15 twin magazine semi-auto shotgun: perfect for when zombies attack. Fourteen rounds in the mags and one in the chamber. 😀
    http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/tr/shotgun-utas-uts-15-e.html

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Life is good.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The ultimate anti zombie weapon I reckon.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Pah!

antigee

commercial clay pigeon shoot are subject to planning law so if it carries on and is a nuisance you can pursue it thru planning or if you think its ok you can go join in and contribute tosome bastard making a lot of noise and generating a lot of extra traffic to make some money

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Are people allowed to randomly fire shotguns?’ is closed to new replies.