Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Are Nukeproof frames particularly snappy? 😳
  • phil5556

Since I joined the FB page 2 days ago I’ve seen an unhealthy number of posts about snapped frames / damaged threaded inserts and chat about crash / damage replacement frames.

2 days ago I was quite interested in a Reactor, today not so much.

razorrazoo

What’s the warranty like assuming you’re buying new? If it’s good then I’d be less worried. I know someone who snapped a SantaCruz, but they sorted him with a brand new current model frame no questions asked.  I own one confident that if I do have an issue it’s likely to be sorted with minimal fuss.

FWIW I know quite a few NP owners and no snapped frames reported.  I also know a NP dealer who’s not said anything about getting a load of returns.

mashr

Is that just fairly standard for an owners group? What you won’t see is the hopefully (thousands of people having no issues

phil5556

@mashr yeah probably. I wonder if it’s also FB showing me similar posts as I clicked on one about a snapped frame. It’s now decided I want to read all about broken stuff!

It seems worse than any others that I’m in.

No idea what their warranty is like, I’ll keep an eye on this morning’s double chain stay snapping thread and see if he gets a new triangle with no issues!

silasgreenback

“World famous…….in Timbuktoo” is usually what happens on t’interweb.

I had a commencal a few years back. Everyone i bumped into knew someone who knew someone who’d seen an online post…..”dont they all snap?”

It was the same few bikes being peddled around as representing the masses.

Scroll forward and I spoke to silverfish about Raceface carbon cranks giving up before buying some. Heard similar stories to you’ve seen “they all fail” accompanied by a handful of warranty replacements on eBay creating the illusion. They said proportionally they actually get more ally failures than carbon failures.

1k hard & harsh miles later and no issues at all on the carbon cranks.

Take it all with a pinch of salt. If it were really that bad models would get dropped / withdrawn.

All brands have issues and breakages.

wbo
    Free Member

I suspect they’re prone to being actually being ridden offroad pretty hard, and there’s lots of ’em

scruff
    Free Member

All that innertube wrapping looks like a bike ragged to F at bikeparks…

fooman

Plus chainstays different colour to bike, possibly a serial bike destroyer ie big jumps / landings at bike park. Fwiw current Nukeproof models are pretty burly like they’ve been over engineered for rough stuff.

tillydog
    Free Member

I used to ride with a group that had several FS Nukeproof owners in it (mostly Mega IIRC) They tended to be the more aggressive riders (some were competitivr enduro riders) They pretty much *all* broke frames – usually the DS chainstay. Some had warranty/goodwill replacements and they broke them again. They loved the bikes otherwise, and almost regarded it as a price worth paying.

dirkpitt74

That’s a 2017 frame – Red & Silver with Silver chain stays.

jkomo

I did at least 30 trips to BPW and I’m a fat untalented bastard.
    Mines fine.

Robz
    Free Member

If you look hard enough you’ll find stories of all brand’s frames breaking.

I’ve cracked over 50% of all the mountain bike frames I’ve bought I would estimate. And I’ve had a lot of bikes (Carbon and alloy).

So long as it’s got a solid warranty, crack on!

aide

Had my mega just over two years now and it’s still holding up. I haven’t been wrapping it up in cotton wool either. Managed to bend one of the crank arms within the first few months (to the point where it wouldn’t rotate) and the frame was fine (I’ve just jinxed it now haven’t I?)

saintsludge
    Free Member

I have an unsnapped Reactor and it’s brilliant. Don’t hesitate, buy it!

julians
    Free Member

1k hard & harsh miles later and no issues at all on the carbon cranks

I’ve got a set of raceface carbon cranks that failed at 1200 miles😀.

They were replaced with no issues by silverfish though

zerocool

I was always led to believe that Nukeproof bikes were pretty solid and reliable. No one I know has snapped one.

dave_h
    Free Member

I’ve never broken a frame and never owned a Nukeproof.

Make of that what you want.

paton
    Free Member

bikes break

ads678

Are Nukeproof frames particularly snappy?

I bloody hope not! I don’t ride my reactor that much* but I’m also a fat untalented bastard and mines not snapped. It is fookin brilliant though. Highly recommend!

*Just because I never seem to get time to go proper mountain biking….

dyna-ti

They’ve been breaking for decades. You’ll see some bloke offering up pics of his knackered bike, but what they dont seem to add is it was done dropping off a veritable cliff, a drop of 10′ or something. Or smashed continually across rock gardens without even trying to pick their way through.

Then they slate the bike/frame as being useless, when in fact i think its probably more down to the rider.

Look at the pic above with the snapped chainstays. Does that look like a bike thats been looked after ?, or does it look more like its been badly abused. Used heavily, thrown in a corner without even a wipe over with a damp rag.

phil5556

They tended to be the more aggressive riders (some were competitivr enduro riders)

Maybe not a bike for me then 🤣 Although I’ll be less likely to break it I suppose.

I have an unsnapped Reactor and it’s brilliant. Don’t hesitate, buy it!

Excellent 👍 It would be nowhere near an imminent purchase but on my hope to demo list next year some time. Which one have you got? It’s the 275 that caught my attention.

I bloody hope not! I don’t ride my reactor that much*

I could look after it for you if you like, I promise I’d ride it too 🙂 Which one did you go for?

Look at the pic above with the snapped chainstays. Does that look like a bike thats been looked after ?, or does it look more like its been badly abused. Used heavily, thrown in a corner without even a wipe over with a damp rag.

You can’t tell any of that from that pic. All you can really say is that it was being ridden on a muddy / wet day and he’s wrapped the chain stays to stop them getting damaged or scratched. It was apparently at Fort William.

honourablegeorge

silasgreenback.

Scroll forward and I spoke to silverfish about Raceface carbon cranks giving up before buying some. Heard similar stories to you’ve seen “they all fail” accompanied by a handful of warranty replacements on eBay creating the illusion. They said proportionally they actually get more ally failures than carbon failures

I spoke to Silverfish when they were refusing to warranty mine. They said they’d never had a set fail and accused me of lying. They eventually replaced them after a lot of arguing. The replacements broke in the exact same way. As did the third set. My friend broke three sets also. On this site, we did something of a straw poll, about 95% of people who replied on that thread that had Raceface carbon cranks had broken a set.

Hope you have a better experience

doomanic

Apparently there was a problem with the early new shape Megas; the rear triangle would snap and there were no spares available. I was looking to replace my my missed 2o16 Mage 275 at the time and most of the ads on Pinkbike were wanted ads for rear triangles.

thegman67

I have had two Mega frames snap on me. The first one four years ago then the warranty replacement frame two years ago and both cracked on the seat tube. No issues with the warranty replaced immediately. Have now since bought a Mega 29r Pro and a Scout.

julians
    Free Member

Just looks like the back end of a bike to me,mine looks the same minus the snapped stays. I don’t think you can infer anything about how it’s been looked after or otherwise from one picture

ads678

Which one did you go for?

Mines just a 290 comp. Bloody love it though.

DickBarton

Cranks look worn which suggests they’ve been used a fair bit but doesn’t suggest how they’ve been used.

ayjaydoubleyou

Does that look like a bike thats been looked after ?, or does it look more like its been badly abused. Used heavily, thrown in a corner without even a wipe over with a damp rag.

I dont think we can make that judgement, it might have broken on a muddy ride, and usually been meticulously cleaned.

We can glean from the photo that its got FR560 rims, 200mm rotors and heavy casing magic marys front and rear (i think). so its probably getting some heavy use.

stevextc
    Free Member

They’ve been breaking for decades. You’ll see some bloke offering up pics of his knackered bike, but what they dont seem to add is it was done dropping off a veritable cliff, a drop of 10′ or something. Or smashed continually across rock gardens without even trying to pick their way through.

Then they slate the bike/frame as being useless, when in fact i think its probably more down to the rider.

Umm.. if it’s a Mega that’s what they are for.

I dont think we can make that judgement, it might have broken on a muddy ride, and usually been meticulously cleaned.

We can glean from the photo that its got FR560 rims, 200mm rotors and heavy casing magic marys front and rear (i think). so its probably getting some heavy use.

other than spotting any cracks earlier I can’t see why not cleaning the bike has any bearing on the chainstays anyway?

I sold my Mega frame to someone who snapped theirs..

nickc

it might have broken on a muddy ride, and usually been meticulously cleaned.

Might be, it also looks like it’s had a hard life, I’m not saying that bikes should be treated like china mugs, but it does increase the chances of it breaking. I don’t think one photos shows anything about how any other bikes of the same brand will last

a11y

Nukeproof actually had a bike model called “Snap” IIRC – their 4X frame?

I’ve had a couple of Nukeproofs. A Pulse DH bike, and a Mega 290. Both brilliant, neither broke. It’s the ‘forum’ effect – folk post the negatives about everything online, but rarely the positives. e.g. if I paid attention to every post about broken Transit vans on the FB pages, I’d never have bought one.

ads678

Looks like its a 2020 Mega, and it’s snapped at the forward weld on the chainstays.

stevextc
    Free Member

but rarely the positives. e.g. if I paid attention to every post about broken Transit vans on the FB pages, I’d never have bought one.

Not really/sort of/perhaps as it’s what breaks (or in the case of the transit/merc rusts)
    I’m still in the NP FB group (even after selling my frame) and the chainstay welds are frequently posted broken.
    Just like my Renault group its usually the MAF sensor…
    I still bought it knowing this common fault… if I lived by the sea I’d lean less towards a transit/merc perhaps..
    I’d still buy a NP but I would want to have a source for replacement rear triangles.

Mega’s are usually chainstays and soft paint… unless they have the RF carbon cranks but that’s a whole other thread 😉

theomen

I’ve had three Nukeproofs over 5 years and currently own a Nukeproof FS 290 Pro (2018) and a Megawatt Elite. I’ve had no issues with the frames and I wouldn’t consider myself a delicate rider.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

They ride well. Even if the carbon frames are a bit rough in the layup. Maybe 2 bearing change frame life till a bit loose. Still ride, abuse and sell. The Giga rides amazing.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say they break more than any other, that’s a 2018 model so probably still under 5yr warranty, that wrapping is probably for uplift days so we can’t judge how they treat their bike from that, I guess they misplaced their cable routing kit that allows the dropper cable to run alongside the brake hose.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Terrifying when they go at the front like that S-Works above. Unlike the S-Works at least the headtube stayed on this Saracen!

https://youtu.be/px8PqUp7yyg?t=588

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.