Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Are my wheels about to explode?
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

So, riding a 29er as I do, I realise they’re liable to explode at any time, plummeting me to my firey demise, but humour me if you will. 8)

I’m a trail hacker. Faster than some, slower than many. I can ride a bike a bit, favouring technical descents rather that outright speed. Recently, our little group has seen speeds, confidence and skills increase and last night I hit a fast, moderately technical rocky descent. All the way down, my wheels were making spoke shifting ‘ping’ noises, just like some new wheels do the first couple of times you go out on them, but these are about 10 months old. They are otherwise tight and true (I build wheels).

I’ve never encountered this before and they were silent the rest of the ride, including other smoother descents, so I do wonder if I was pushing them closer to their limits than usual on that particular rocky, very fast one.

Anyone have experience of wheels behaving similarly?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I am sure it will be fine.. 🙂

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

You will die.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

Anyone have experience of wheels behaving similarly?

I’m amazed you can hear a spoke pinging on a fast rocky descent.

but then I ride a five which is like riding a bag of spanners down the hill.

kitchase
    Free Member

Check spokes pinging from rubbing on each other or not otherwise you can put a drop of lube at each spoke crossing.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Clutch mech jambo. That and it was quite loud and last for pretty much the whole descent.

tinsy
    Free Member

The wheels will be fine, the crack in the frame is probably going to cause more of an issue…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Lol!

Been there.

tinsy
    Free Member

You sure it was the wheels? is the much less scaremongering post..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Are my wheels about to explode?’ is closed to new replies.