Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Are Landy's crap or what?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Second time I've seen this happen, last year I saw a Defender drown in 3 ft of water, today I saw a Discovery (07 plate) drown in knee high water! what's going on? I thought Landy's were amphibiousish!

stonemonkey
    Free Member

How dare you!!! The defender probably broke down for some other reason or just rusted through, the disco could have been a petrol

twohats
    Free Member

A Discovery isn't really a Landy in the true sense of the word though is it?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It was funny though, when the council gadgy had to shout at them (in the Discovery) to get out of the vehicle, the woman got out, went off in the opposite direction then came back with no trousers on!! The driver in the meantime was trying to push it out! Me & the council bloke were pi$$ing ourselves. I partly blame myself cos he'd asked how deep it was & I told him he'd be fine. Needless to say I departed in the opposite direction.
    To be fair on the Defender last year it had jumped out of gear in 3ft of water & wouldn't go back in, that was funny as well.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

My defender (now stolen) is like a mountain bike always in a constant state of flux between broken and working

mattsccm
    Free Member

Crap drivers.

Sandwich

Only amphibious if the breathers from the sump and diff have been extended as part of the fording kit that includes the snorkel. Lets off-road!

aviemoron
    Free Member

Want reliable? Buy a Toyota!

emac65
    Free Member

Wow twice in two years you've seen LR's broke down.I see countless brands of cars broke down on the motorway every day of the week & not a drop water in sight 8)
    Toyota's don't off road :fact:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

emac – hiluxs are good offroad. Maybe not as good as a defender but not far off

cranberry
    Free Member

Twohats – a Disovery is very capable off-road, it'll give a Defender a run for it's money in most circumstances.
    ( I'm a Defender owner )

Smee
    Free Member

Aviemoron has it in one. I have broken a couple of Landies, but haven't managed to break a Landcruiser.

m0nster2
    Free Member

Disco has a 900mm+ wade height as standard.
    Like mattsccm says: Would have been bad driving.

swamp_boy

Most of it is the way they are driven – go in slow, keep up a steady speed that creates a bow wave and it will usually keep the water out of the vitals. Too many people charge in and flood everything – modern electrics are more waterproof than they used to be, but water up the air intake will stop even a Toyota Land Crusher, fine motors though they are.

I've taken a mk 1 disco through water breaking over the bonnet with no mods beyond putting in the cam belt and bell housing drain plugs – but then we didn't have to stop, that really would have been bad news. Mk 1 discos and defenders are virtually the same under the skin, most of the drive line and suspension is interchangeable, its the height and tail overhang that make the main difference. Plus discoveries don't let in so much rain and you can hear yourself think.

ScotlandTheScared

I'd say Landy's are the best thing I have driven in deep/fast moving water. Much better than the hilux – largely cos they are heavy and dont get washed down river so easily. Having said that, they do break down a lot…

This is me driving an icelandic big-wheeler defender – on the same day, the wind ripped the door half off and we snapped the drive-shaft on another defender…

takisawa2

Want reliable? Buy a Toyota!

Your referring to their Off-Road vehicles here I presume…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Are Landy's crap or what?’ is closed to new replies.