Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Are japanese cars more reliable than european/french cars?
  • hora
    Free Member

Had an ’04 Honda Accord. Most unreliable car I’ve owned, and I’ve owned a Megane.

Really? I was looking at one of those for a future purchase.

Whats gone wrong on it etc??

ononeorange

Only had one Japanese engine (an Isuzu Diesel) – in that tiny, limited sample it was rubbish, it seized solid at about 60,000 miles. Never touched anything Japanese with 4 wheels otherwise.

parkesie
    Free Member

My french car is currently in surrender mode 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

THe problems largely seem to stem from the electronics and electrical Items these days, and it hits all cars fairly heavily but the Japanese are somewhat more accustomed to small electronics than most. I have always had a Peugeot as a daily driver and never yet has one owed me anything, cheap as chips to own and run, not the lap of luxury but never fails. But I’d be very wary of a newer one as they seem determined to cram them full of failure points that even BMW and the Japanese don’t get fully right.

Oil in your fuel is a very bad idea in a modern engine.

chewkw
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

Oil in your fuel is a very bad idea in a modern engine.

My Toyota Corolla is 2005, my mate’s Toyota Landcruiser and Hilux are both 2006 models and all our cars never miss a beat. Ok, the latter are diesel but he tried it on his Subaru Impreza for several years with no ill effect.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Diesel is effectively oil, so not really the point. What you don’t realise is the emissions you’re creating, the accelerated sensor poisoning, the gumming up of injectors and valves and rings (ever popped the head off a car that had long term oil consumption?), the increased likelihood of in cyl hotspots and knock, the cat damage.

Of course a couple of cars can potentially run it for a couple of years without showing a problem outwardly, but that doesn’t make it sensible.

chewkw
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

Diesel is effectively oil, so not really the point. What you don’t realise is the emissions you’re creating, the accelerated sensor poisoning, the gumming up of injectors and valves and rings (ever popped the head off a car that had long term oil consumption?), the increased likelihood of in cyl hotspots and knock, the cat damage.

Well, it’s the opposite. It actually cleans the engine. Fuel burns more uniformly. Yes, my mate did pop the head off to check and guess what it was very clean. Put it this way if he does this to his beloved Subaru Impreza then I guess my cheapo Corolla will not be harmed.

He found the information on some research papers long time ago about this technique and decided to try it out with no ill effect. Expensive though on top of the fuel price you pay.

Oh most of the engines that he is messing with are far more superior (as in sensitive) to my Corolla (rather industrial by comparison and bloody road tax is £260).

🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d like to see that research as applied to a non-drag (totally different usage) and modern engine. Burning oil does not clean engines, I can assure you!

I’ve had food poisoning several times, but without my medical records you’d never know and assume occasional Wimpey burgers did no harm.

Your call, been stripping and rebuilding engines for decades and seen the catastrophic sensor damage that can occur with oil burning, I’ll stick with my way!

chewkw
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

I’d like to see that research as applied to a non-drag (totally different usage) and modern engine. Burning oil does not clean engines, I can assure you!

All the questions you asked are the same questions I put to him as I was totally skeptical about his “snake oil”. Yes, I did ask about burning oil cleaning engines … same question. I gave up the moment he started explaining and just seek assurance that he would fork the repair bill if something goes wrong. He agreed. Since then I have putting about 50ml every time I fuel up.

Yes, I am not a car nerd while he is and I trust him more than any of the mechanics out there. Been adding 2T motor cycle oil to fuel since the first day I bought my car. Engine runs quieter and smoother.

:mrgreen:

p/s:

coffeeking – Member

Your call, been stripping and rebuilding engines for decades and seen the catastrophic sensor damage that can occur with oil burning, I’ll stick with my way!

Yeap, he does that too I think for nearly 30 years now. Most are Japs engines by the way.

cozz
    Free Member

adding a bit of 2 stroke oil to a tank of diesel is a common talking point on landrover forums

most agree it make the ford (transit) tdci engine run quieter and better, as fitted to newer defedners

grantway
    Free Member

Not if they are made in Sunderland

chewkw
    Free Member

grantway – Member

Not if they are made in Sunderland

Toyota made in Sunderland? 😯

grantway
    Free Member

Toyota made in Sunderland?

No Nissan

molgrips
    Free Member

2 stroke oil is designed to be burned. Engine oil is not. 2 stroke might work well, Veg oil might also work.

Sim

Hora: Yeah, seemingly endlessly going wrong. In no particular order.

Alternator failure
    Power steering failure
    Brake calipers seized
    Leaky suspension damper
    Bulbs blowing at a worryingly regular rate
    Juddery steering (undiagnosed)
    Drivers side window motor failure
    Water leaks

That’s just off the top of my head, I’m probably missing something. Now thankfully someone else’s problem…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Both my car are 2003 Toyotas, MR2 & celica. Never had an issue with either. My celica (made in japan) is coming up to 100k I’ve done 64k of that without an issue. I don’t think interiors are anywhere close to VAG’s though in terms of plastic quality but they seem equally well put together from my experience with no rattles in either car yet. I like the high revvy Yamaha engine and the suspension set up. My dad’s Mazda 6 ( ok it’s a mondeo) hasn’t missed a beat either. I’ve had 2 mx5s in the past which started everytime after winter hibernation one needed a new clutch and the other a set of discs by that was all.

I can only go off personal and limited experience but my ex’s 206 was shit, my girlfriends 206 was shit, my mates new a3 has been in and out of the garage trying to sort an engine light on the dash. My sister has had a few golfs R32, GTi and currently a GTD 170 which have all been nice to drive but a bugger to work on. My MG was a joke and my fiat was fun but bits just dropped off.

My next car will hopefully be a GT-86 or a BRZ.

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

2 stroke oil is designed to be burned. Engine oil is not. 2 stroke might work well, Veg oil might also work.

I see … 2T is designed to burn.

I learn something everyday. 😀

No veg oil for my Corolla I am afraid.

popstar
    Free Member

I owned W-reg Honda Accord 1.8vtec for 7 years. The most reliable model by Honda. While it looked bland, boy it cornered proper racy well compared to exOmega b3Passat mk2Golf I owned before etc. Interior was well thought out but not in the same class like VW quality wise. My accord sedan could swallow 2 medium sized mtbikes! But, I don’t believe in stories like Japanese are more reliable than Euro. Big factor about reliability is previous owner, if previous owner neglected car then no matter japanese german or french it still will be a lemon.

Btw, Accord I had… Alternator fried itself, starter motor failed, steering column rack went, sunroof seized, hydraulic clutch valve went bust etc etc. Not much more different than comfier Euro cars.

I’m back with VW now, and very pleased with my choice overall.

p.s. Talking about fuel additives Millers and Archoil are the real deal. My tdi purrs with them added instead of clatters without.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Right then, this topic is right up my street.
    As some may know I work as a patrol for a certain well known motoring organisation. So I have a good idea of what breaks and what doesn’t.
    If I was looking to buy a 14 year old car I would only consider a Japanese car. They would be your best chance of reasonable reliability.
    You’ll get the odd person who will pipe up and say “I’ve got a 15 year old Golf/405/Mondeo and it is great” but they’ll be the exception. Nearly all cars by that age are money pits.
    I’d be looking for an Almera, Corolla or Civic, base model and petrol (when it comes to bangernomics simplicity is king- if it hasn’t got electric windows or a turbo they can’t go wrong!).
    They are usually dirt cheap, especially in “pensioner pale blue” as kids won’t touch them- not cool.
    Hope this helps,
    Mike (who drives a totally reliable Mazda)

butcher

It’s interesting you mention the Almera bikemike. I kept looking at them but was put off by the reported timing chain issues, which seem to be completely random, and cost fairly big money to fix.

chewkw
    Free Member

bikemike1968 – Member

I’d be looking for an Almera, Corolla or Civic, base model and petrol (when it comes to bangernomics simplicity is king- if it hasn’t got electric windows or a turbo they can’t go wrong!).

In addition to the above look for one with Automatic gear (not those with steering “pedals” or tiptoptronic). With auto gear you don’t even have to worry about clutch problem at all.

However, on the downside they all love downing petrol like no tomorrow but I can live with that. Wish my mate was here to help me tune it up properly. 😆

Soon I will be adding coil buffer to my jelly (standard and still working fine) like Corolla suspension coil.

coffeeking
    Free Member

2stroke oil is designed to be burned in a 2 stroke engine, which is designed to burn 2stroke oil…

chewkw
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

2stroke oil is designed to be burned in a 2 stroke engine, which is designed to burn 2stroke oil…

All I can suggest is to try it out for yourself then see if there is any problem. Try it on old bangers first.

Since you are a car mechanic I see no harm in you messing with engines, I would if I have all the tools with me.

Mine is 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.6 auto gear and I normally add 50ml of Castrol 2T motorbike engine oil or just normal Halfords 2T motorbike engine oil when I fuel it up to 3/4 tank full.

😀

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I love Japanese cars. I’ve had 3 that were very good (Honda Integra Type R, Almera GTi and Suzuki Swift Sport) and one that was very bad (Mitsubishi Legnum VR4) and hopefully into another soon.

I wouldn’t touch a post-Renault Nissan though (~2002 onwards).

bikemike1968
    Free Member

butcher – Member
    It’s interesting you mention the Almera bikemike. I kept looking at them but was put off by the reported timing chain issues, which seem to be completely random, and cost fairly big money to fix

You’re right, they can suffer from timing chain issues, which are expensive to fix. But most other cars at that age have timing belts- which are just as expensive to fix and more likely to fail.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Chewk . You do know when an auto gos wrong its $$$

100 quid in parts + Couple of hours work sees a clutch put in a basic car.

on bangers give me a clutch any day

I reiterate , 2 stroke goes in diesels and 2 strokes only. Do not put it in petrol.

It goes in diesel as it lubricates the pump. Landy Tdci fuel pmps are the same as transits – transit fuel pumps hate bio diesel and need all the lubrication they can get their hands on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“You’re right, they can suffer from timing chain issues, which are expensive to fix. But most other cars at that age have timing belts- which are just as expensive to fix and more likely to fail.”

No they are not.

They are a service item, anyone who doesnt service their car – banger or not deserves all they get.

You also know most chains have a service interval also , most engines never used to reach the interval but more and more engines are reaching them these days ,

Land rovers v8 chain and drive cogs were designed with 100k miles in mind , having stripped down a set at 189k and seen more wear than my 6 year old singlespeed fixed commuter i was surprised it was still running in time at all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

50mm of my piss would likely have the same placebo effect on a 3/4 tank of fuel.

chewkw
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

Chewk . You do know when an auto gos wrong its $$$

Yes, I know they are expensive in UK but you can avoid that if you maintain it properly. i.e. changing auto gear box oil from time to time and all those consumables . Anyone that says you don’t have to change the auto gear box oil has no clue about auto gear box. I intend to drive this car for a long time using it to do simple things.

trail_rat – Member

50mm of my piss would likely have the same placebo effect on a 3/4 tank of fuel.

In that case no harm but I do notice my car running quieter.

😀

sbob
    Free Member

With auto gear you don’t even have to worry about clutch problem at all.

However, on the downside they all love downing petrol like no tomorrow

My petrol auto has a clutch and does 50mpg.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Clutch is still easier and cheaper to repair.

Seems madness to limit your self to a market of cars that are petrol hungry, rare , unpopular and due to small engines , shit to drive.

Automatic big engined motor any day but on a toy engine no thanks.( with old style autoboxes) – some of the new dual clutch stuffs pretty nice – but still not proven enough for my liking.

chewkw
    Free Member

sbob – Member

My petrol auto has a clutch and does 50mpg.

😯 What! That much!

Mine top 36mpg .. damn! 🙁

trail_rat – Member

Automatic big engined motor any day but on a toy engine no thanks.

Bought for £5K (paid in full with no loans) with 26K+ on the clock I doubt I can ask for more. Nice to drive and low in maintenance is all I need.

butcher

Yes, I know they are expensive in UK but you can avoid that if you maintain it properly. i.e. changing auto gear box oil from time to time. Anyone that says you don’t have to change the auto gear box oil has no clue about auto gear box. I intend to drive this car for a long time using it to do simple things.

As it happens I had a Japanese auto for a while that did go wrong. Completely my own fault since I didn’t change the oil. But I went to change it post slippage, desperately hoping I could undo any damage, but it turns out changing the gearbox oil isn’t all that easy. The gearbox retains a substantial amount of oil if you simply drain it. To do it properly you need to pay a fair bit of money to get it flushed out. Although I suppose it doesn’t really matter if you do it regular enough.

sbob
    Free Member

What! That much!

My car is quite light, and I put good quality fuel in the fuel tank, and good quality oil in the engine.

NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Nice to drive “

Compared to what ? A panzer tank ? Bit like me trying to proclaim my land rovers nice to drive , its not its noise, slow and hard to change gear in but at least ive come to terms with that.

chewkw
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

Compared to what ? A panzer tank ? Bit like me trying to proclaim my land rovers nice to drive , its not its noise, slow and hard to change gear in but at least ive come to terms with that.

Land Rovers <= Rover is a dog (Clarkson, 20XX) 😆

A panzer tank is not far away considering I used to drive a 1967 VW Beetle (nice to drive too) and later a Daihatsu Nippa (Yes, surprise I like it for what it is) then in UK driving my driving instructor’s Citroen DS3 (crikey, all those digital equipments that comes with it no wonder people think modern cars are “smart”). I am satisfied with simple car. 😆

butcher – Member

The gearbox retains a substantial amount of oil if you simply drain it. To do it properly you need to pay a fair bit of money to get it flushed out. Although I suppose it doesn’t really matter if you do it regular enough.

My mate’s advice is to change it whenever I change the engine oil. No need those fancy flush.

molgrips
    Free Member

For the record, biodiesel improves lubricity rather than reducing it.

HansRey

We have a 2000 Corolla estate. It’s filthy inside and looks battered, but it just keeps going. No problems with it mechanically and it’s been reliable over 14 scandinavian winters.

I spoke to an Estonian mechanic and he was adamant that Toyota are the most reliable. So much so, he bought both of his sons a Toyota each. If those cars can survive Estonian roads/ dirt tracks, they should be fine for the UK!

ask1974
    Free Member

In order…

1. Rover Metro. Fell apart around me but much of that was probably my fault. Not well built though.
    2. VW Sirocco GTII. Only had it a short while and don’t want to talk about it, I loved that car 😳
    3. VW Golf 1.8GL. Had it for around 3 years and 20,000 miles. Solid and not much went wrong.
    4. Citroen BX1.9GTi. Plastic rubbish! The engine finally went pop after just about everything else had failed.
    5. Subaru Forester Turbo. Rear suspension failed, lots of electrical failures, some engine failures. Not a good example.
    6. Toyota RAV4. 4 years and 100,000 miles, virtually nothing went wrong and passed every MOT. Wow! Sold it to my sister and it’s still going strong.
    7. 63 plate VW CC GT. Had it since September and already clocked 15,000. Not a whisper of an issue. Awesome car.

So, from my experience I can summarise as follows; UK and French cars are awful, good Japanese are superb, poor ones not so, VW are on the whole extremely good and sometimes awesome. Oh, the Forester was a 2000 and the RAV4 a 2002, can’t remember the others.

hora
    Free Member

The Jazz is ok though? Always liked them.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Are japanese cars more reliable than european/french cars?’ is closed to new replies.