Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Are IKEA mattresses any good ?
  • womp

I need a new mattress, are the IKEA ones value for money ?

they have a sprung for £130 and a pocket sprung for £230 +, is a pocket sprung ‘much’ better? whats the benefit ?

IKEA

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

I had one of the ones with a wooden frame (if they still do them). It was the awesumz. Had to get rid of it as it wouldn’t go up the stairs in our new house.

Pocket springs are better because (in theory) you moving won’t affect your partner.

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

I don’t know what the difference is, but yes IKEA mattresses are good, IMO. We’ve had one for a year now and it’s great, plenty of choices of firmness and foam toppings so you’ll get something that suits you. And they’re a lot less expensive than a comparable one from Dreams etc.

Premier Icon BillMC
    Subscriber

Think of cost per use. Go for pocket sprung plus cotton stuffing to keep you cool. Man-made materials work like a cheap sauna and leave you wallowing in the shallow end.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

I torn between getting the Hesseng or the which best buy foam model (at around £200) at the moment. Both feel good when I’ve tested them.

Premier Icon jairaj
    Subscriber

Yes IKEA mattresses are very good, regularly get good reviews from Which? and other consumer product test places.

In pocket sprung mattress the mattress is divided into many individual springs that work independently so the mattress can conform around you better and have less effect on the other side of the mattress.

In a basic sprung mattress its often one big spring for the whole width of the mattress so it’s less able to conform around you.

Premier Icon jonk
    Subscriber

Ours is 10 years old and still very comfy

FunkyDunc

I had one for about 15 years. Only just got rid of it.

womp
    Premier Icon mildbore
    Subscriber

We got one earlier this year and are now very pleased with it. Took a few weeks to lose the chemical smell from the fireproof stuff they spray it with though

mark90

We got the Hyllestad earlier this year. Seemed the most comfortable for us when we tried it in the shop. They have a 90 day return/swap policy if you don’t like it, but we’ve been happy with ours. My back seems better too, but then that could also be going from HT to FS around the same time.

Premier Icon molgrips

They are. But the key point is that you really should get the mattress pad that goes on top. In general, mattress pads are absolutely fantastic. They are the norm in Scandinavia afaik but not here. We bought the more expensive pad (filled with wool iirc) and they are absolutely marvellous – well worth the investment. If you can in the shop, put one on (single version easier!) and try it out.

The sooner they take on in places like hotels, the happier I’ll be.

Premier Icon mogrim
    Subscriber

We’ve got one, no idea what model, but it’s very comfortable and was the replacement to the previous IKEA mattress that had lasted us over 10 years.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

I’ve got one I bought a while back with a built-in top memory foam layer, it’s super comfortable. One thing to bear in mind is that IKEA uses (or at least used to use) European standard mattress sizes I think, which are slightly longer than traditional UK ones, so if you have an existing bed frame, it’s worth checking carefully to make sure the sizing is the same.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

They do both UK and European sizes now

Premier Icon molgrips

They have a long guarantee too – 25 years or something daft…?

Premier Icon honeybadgerx
    Subscriber

We’ve got a 3 year old pocket sprung one that is still spot on, down side is very few other beds feel as comfy!

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

Very happy with the two we got for my daughters. Just a word on the mattress guarantee, that’s only for defects, not wear and tear. No matter how good a mattress is it won’t last 25 years of daily / regular use so the guarantee isn’t necessarily that much use.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Very good. We switched to them when they were recommended by Zoe’s chiropractor a few years ago (and his advice was spot on).

He also recommended going for a softer spring than you think you need and +1 for the mattress pad on top.

oreetmon

Google ikea mattress problems.
    Ours lasted 18mnths before the springs sagged in the middle. Complained to ikea 6mnths later after springs started sticking into my back and they sent an independent company round to inspect it. He just asked me questions about my weight and if we turned it regularly, not once did he actually inspect the matteress
    His report said that sagging was due to excessive use ? Not covered by garauntee.
    When we could afford a new one I took the expensive cover off to use on another brands mattress and found that the memory foam had split exposing the pocket springs full length of my upper half.
    Spent hours and I really mean hours trying to get through on the phone to complain (listening to abba on a loop when you want to rant at somebody is not helpful)
    Took the mattress to ikea to get them to look at it and they said I would have to ring complaints line.
    Dont think I’ve been impressed with any of the furniture I’ve bought from ikea its disposable junk that looks ok, will NEVER buy an ikea matteress again.
    25 year garauntee ‘my arse’

andyl

They are. But the key point is that you really should get the mattress pad that goes on top. In general, mattress pads are absolutely fantastic.

crikey, i agree with molgrips here.

Toppers are great. Sooooo comfy.

Threw my ikea mattress out last year, was 11 years old and had been well used ( 😉 ) and moved around a few times. Eventually it got stored somewhere as it was too big for our current place (super kind) and ended up damp and mouldy so had to go. It was a good mattress. £200 ish back in 2004.

crikey

Our IKEA mattress is 20 years old and the wife tells me it’s still great for having sex on, apparently.

hammyuk

She’s not wrong….

Well what she was doing on it earlier might be considered so in some circles :mrgreen:

(webcam link available – paypal address in profile)

crikey

😆

I’ve seen it already, I hope you have another source of income too!

Rich

Complained to ikea 6mnths later after springs started sticking into my back and they sent an independent company round to inspect it. He just asked me questions about my weight and if we turned it regularly, not once did he actually inspect the matteress
    His report said that sagging was due to excessive use ? Not covered by garauntee.
    When we could afford a new one I took the expensive cover off to use on another brands mattress and found that the memory foam had split exposing the pocket springs full length of my upper half.
    Spent hours and I really mean hours trying to get through on the phone to complain (listening to abba on a loop when you want to rant at somebody is not helpful)
    Took the mattress to ikea to get them to look at it and they said I would have to ring complaints line.
    Dont think I’ve been impressed with any of the furniture I’ve bought from ikea its disposable junk that looks ok, will NEVER buy an ikea matteress again.
    25 year garauntee ‘my arse’

I had a very similar experience with an Ikea sofa.
    Ecomaster the ‘assessor’ were absolute rubbish and just told Ikea they couldn’t see or hear the problem and that was apparently that.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

I remember when a brothel in Bristol threw out their Ikea mattresses. Says a great deal that they chose them I think

MrSmith

I bought one of the cheap ones, not because it was cheap but I wanted a firm mattress and definitely not a memory foam one (far too hot) no complaints for a £100 or whatever it was. It felt the most comfortable when trying them in the store, all the others were too soft. If it only lasts a few years I’ll just get another.

Premier Icon andy4d
    Subscriber

Apparently 1 on 3 Brits are conceived on an Ikea mattress…..which is surprising as those places are well lit.

stayhigh

In a small hijack, what are their roll up mattresses like?

Our IKEA mattress is now 15 years old and still feels great, especially when I’ve been sleeping in another bed. I think it was the most expensive model at the time. The 6’7″ x 5’3″ dimensions are a lot more logical than the equivalent UK size but a pain to get sheets for.

mattyfez

I bought a cheap £120 iirc matress from ikea about 5 years ago, I threw it out after a couple of weeks, it was bloody terrible, complete waste of money. You could feel the spings poking you unless you slept in just the rigr position.

For something you’re going to spend at least 20% of your life on, it’s worth buying something better.

Completely unnecessary back story..smashed a girl’s back doors in, and she leaked during the night so I panick bought the ikea matress as my current one was ruined.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

Did i just read what I think I read?

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

leaked during the night…matress… ruined.

andyl

. andy4d – Member
    Apparently 1 on 3 Brits are conceived on an Ikea mattress…..which is surprising as those places are well lit.

Remember getting caught getting frisky with a lady friend in one of the ikea bathroom displays.

I think there is probably more to mattyfez’s story and the girl actually got a buit kinky on him and he is the one who…

jambalaya

@matty not necessary, not necessary at all. As you said yourself.

@balls quality stealth edit. Both work well but Clint for the win 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Are IKEA mattresses any good ?’ is closed to new replies.