Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Are Hope Tech M4 brakes worth it?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I think they look fantastic and I'm tempted by them. However, I'm currently running Hope E4 brakes and have no complaints. If I made the switch and assuming I use the same size rotors and pad compound, can they really be any more powerful? Would they be any better, or just newer?

No idea in comparison to your old ones, but my M4's are the dogs in comparison to my old Juicy 5's

shortcut

the techs are definately more sexy and a bit more powerful.

in functionality terms and with a blindfold on you might not be too impressed from a performance value perspective.

they are however very nice and i would do the upgrade! 😈

grantway
    Free Member

Very happy with my Mono 4's if that helps

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can't help but think that for the same compound and the same rotor size, it just comes down to mechaincal advantage. Surely the only way to get more power is for the lever to have a greater sweep or to have the pistons sit closer to the rotor.

if the pistons sit closer, they'll rub and if the lever sweep gets longer, you wouldn't be able to reach them or they'd bottom out on the grip.

Therefore, I'm at a loss to see where the extra power comes from.

slowrider
    Free Member

the lever is quite long so you run the body of the lever quite inboard, especially if you like to just brake with one finger. the longer lever of course gives you more leverage. things like heat dissipation, piston size, fluid movement and all that jazz make a difference too but i dont know enough to explain that lot.

Onzadog
    Free Member

But the length of the lever is part of the mechanical advantage aspect as is piston size. Granted, heat disipation is a factor but how much does it vary? I don't think fluid makes that much difference. They're both running DOT 5.1 so viscosity is the same. I don't think the velocity losses due to changes of direction would make much of a difference either.

slowrider
    Free Member

how are tech m4's more powerful than tech x2's? how are tech v2's more powerful than both? it can only be mechanical advantage but theres definitely a difference, a big one. im not saying you are wrong, just that some brakes are definitely more powerrful than others, even using the same lever, rotor size and pad compound. i guess the size of the contact point with the rotor plays a big part too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I agree, the three versions of the Hope brakes manage different power levels by playing with mechanical advantage and pad contact area (and the V2 uses a big dollop of heat disipation).

But my 4 pots look to offer the same contact area as the new ones unless I've missed something. Do the Tech M4s come with sintered or organic pads?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very tempted, I've just got to defeat my rational side!

slowrider
    Free Member

mine came with sintered. they do look pretty dont they?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'm telling myself I could put the E4s in the spares bin and then they'd go great on a cross frame next year with the crosstop levers running to drilled Hope levers like that guy with the Planet X. I think the Pro levers would work a lot better for that as well.

grumm
    Free Member

You've clearly decided to buy them already, just get on with it and stop searching for justification. 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

The justification is not for me. Would you like to explain to my wife that I want to drop 300 nuggets on replacing something that works perfectly well.

grumm
    Free Member

Sorry I meant to say that the Hope Tech M4s are so much better than your existing brakes that you will be much safer out on the trails.

In the long run they will actually save you money.

😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

yeah, I'll try her with that. Might even offer to put the E4s on her bike!

bruneep

Onzadog

Contact dipper on here he may do you a deal 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers for that. Might he also be able to give a good explaination of the pros and cons of each of the 3 systems they offer?

Digger90
    Free Member

The save 100 nuggets and buy my virtually brand new Hope Mono M4's (the latest silver/black ones) for 200 nuggets instead.

Email in profile.

clubber
    Free Member

One other thing that affects performance – flex. Imagine a caliper made of cheese. Irrespective of leverage ratios and so on, it'd be rubbish. If the new brakes flex less then they'll be more powerful. Not that there will be any real world difference to your old ones but don't let that stop you 🙂

P20

Got the tech m4, which replaced my mono4 on the yeti. The techs are better clearance(less catching) more power, better feel and i prefer the lever shape. Oh and they look cool. Just bought old some m4 for the ss so will be able to compare all options, but it sounds like it you'll have already bought them by the time I get them

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I've got the new tech m4's and was previously running mono m4's (2003).
    In terms of power i don't notice much difference, but I really do like the adjustability of the bite and reach plus my old m4's were real screeches. The tech m4's are silent (apart from when wet).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Are Hope Tech M4 brakes worth it?’ is closed to new replies.