Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Are Hope investing in new machinery for prototyping?
  • curvature
    Free Member

Sat at work today and a Hope Technology van pulls up along with a couple of cars.

I thought I had won a random prize…..I was daydreaming at the time 😀

Anyway they go into the unit opposite who deal in 3d Printers and Rapid Prototyping machines.

Posted on their Facebook page but no answer.

Anyone in the know?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Possibly

MrNutt
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be surprised, I bumped into a delegation of rapid prototyping folk in Loughborough a while back and there were people from every conceivable industry from O’Neil to the MOD

MrNutt
    Free Member

Did you know that they can “print” functioning replacement body parts now?

matthew_h
    Free Member

They already do some rapid prototyping and 3D printing.

simonbowns
    Free Member

when we were there the other week, someone did mention a new rapid prototype machine they were looking into.

curvature
    Free Member

matthew h – we all know they do this but wondering if they were expanding on this?

The machines are so cheap these days.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its not the ideas/prototyping they seem to struggle with.Its thelead times from announcing things to actually producing stuff to buy.I’ll bash ears on sunday when I see them.

chewkw
    Free Member

Good to hear that Hope is investing in new technology.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Good to hear that Hope is investing in new technology

By god,have you seen the factory!!!!!

monkeyboyjc

speaking of rapid prototyping….
    rapid prototyped lugs

paddy0091
    Free Member

Read a story not too long ago about Coventry (I think) University using one to print in….CHOCOLATE 😛

rockhopper70

I can’t see how rapid prtotyping can be much quicker than CNCing from a billet. Similar software, similar process, sort of in reverse though?

I have always thought that RP was more useful and used more widely for producing concepts that would ultimately be cast, so RP saves on tooling costs. Are Hope therefore going to move into cast products?

curvature
    Free Member

You can get 3d printers for a few grand these days that will produce a prototype.

No set up cost
    No CNC costs
    etc
    etc

They are very good value.

angryratio
    Free Member

I’ve often wondered why hope don’t expand into making parts for other industries.
    Thomson make products for cyclists and aviation.

andyl
    Free Member

+ you can make things with RP that you can’t make in any other way except expensive and time consuming methods such as investment casting. You can print internal structures and then seal them inside without any seams.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve often wondered why hope don’t expand into making parts for other industries.

Basically because they haven’t got time! most people forget they are still a reasonably small company, everything they make flies out the door already with the machines they’ve got running 24/7/365.

chewkw
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member

By god,have you seen the factory!!!!!

Where? It’s just a normal factory like most other factories no? 😯

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s definately not like any ‘normal’ factory I’ve ever seen! They have some the most cutting edge CNC machines in the world.Seeing as they spent 100k+ on a wheel building machine a couple of grand a rapid prototyper ain’t much.

compositepro
    Free Member

speaking of rapid prototyping….
    rapid prototyped lugs

someone asked me about 5 years ago if that was possible on frameforum.

Back then an mcp was half a million quid and you could carve it out of Ti with a file as quickly ,Cycle times have improved but as I was at the advanced manufacturing centre last week the answer was still additive manufacturing for high volume parts ….. a way off yet.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Take a little look around
    http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG360

Yes I heard they have the most cutting edge CNC machines as well. So cutting edge that F1 teams are using them, and from what I heard Hope have got 2 of them and Hope is the first place to have more than 1 (from what the CNC rep said)

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have always thought that RP was more useful and used more widely for producing concepts that would ultimately be cast, so RP saves on tooling costs. Are Hope therefore going to move into cast products?

RP has a few benefits. For one it’s cheaper to blow out an ABS copy of a large part than it is to machine down the alu. Speed-wise, probably close, but you can make stuff you can’t machine and 3D printers are a dime a dozen these days.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Are Hope investing in new machinery for prototyping?’ is closed to new replies.