Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • are ground floor flats always cheaper/less desirable?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

looking at buying a flat and all i seem to be able too find are loads of grouand floor ones. i personally am much more keen on anything off the ground floor, so is this a general theme, that ground floor inst very popular?

cranberry
    Free Member

If you are on the ground floor you are more likely to have problems with security and not be able to leave a window open in the summer. You will be overlooked by your neighbours and therefore have reduced privacy.

The offset is that you *might* have a garden – depending on how green your fingers are/if you have kids that might be a plus point.

Cranberry.
    12 floors up.

hora
    Free Member

If it has its own entrance or own garden – great.

Otherwise you have EVERYONE going past your flat through doors and upstairs.

Security risk.

If people install wooden floors upstairs you’ll hear everything.

I’ve lived in such a flat. Awful and wouldn’t repeat.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

Depending on how old it is you can get the whole soil stack coming back up through your toilet as well (in the event of a blockage) :0(

richc
    Free Member

Depends on the flat, the one’s I’ve owned the ground floor flats were the most valuable, as they had the highest ceiling, own entrances and private gardens.

So depends on the flat really.

legend
    Free Member

They are also much more convenient for loading/unloading biking kit from the car as well as bike cleaning duties

hora
    Free Member

Mates got a flat in Edinburgh – two storey based in an old (mental?) hospital- stunning and on the ground floor but then there is no one above him 😀

s4rpf
    Free Member

Ive got a ground floor flat and privacy can be a bit of a issue but it cost me a 150PM less than the exact same flat 1 floor above me seemed like a no brainer

jhw
    Free Member

got broken into on Guy Fawkes’ in the only ground floor place I’ve lived in.

odannyboy
    Free Member

well to my mind id say anything not ground floor seems most desirable.im young, fit, happy to carry the bike and dont like being over looked, plus the open window thing is quite a good one…

samuri
    Free Member

Ground floor is always the first flat to get done over.
    That said, when we lived in Toxteth the block we lived in (an old house with about 8 flats in it) got steamed by a gang one night.

The chap in the ground floor flat attacked them with a kitchen knife and stabbed one of them. I few legged it upstairs and started kicking my flat door in while I was inside. As soon as they saw I was there they ran off.

GJP
    Free Member

Ground floor flat here. Great for sorting the bikes out, privacy not really an issue, security ie not leaving windows open is more of a concern, but not a deal breaker. All in I think it depends on the flat in question.

When I bought mine I would have preferred a non-ground floor flat as they had balconies. However, for me the ground floor advantages outweighs the drawbacks.

Don’t believe where I live they are worth less – state of flat, market drives much more variability IMO.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Grnd floor flat at the mo. it’s pretty nice n quiet really and a secure area. but when that bloke in the top floor moves out I WILL take his flat. 20 quid a week more to have a whole floor, extra room (for bikes, computer) and a BATH! and the view and the rising heat. yep. can leave my singlespeed locked in the backyard for pub/shopping/work duties.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Used to live in a ground floor flat. Great for bikes. In theory dodgy for security, but have woken up numerous times with the front door open from not shutting it post pub without probs. Only big problem is what the sound insulation from above is like.

paulevans
    Free Member

it can depend on where your flat is – somewhere with a high old age population can lead to ground floor flats being more expensive as they are more readily accessible to the old (no stairs to climb).

avdave2

How heavy is your bike?

donsimon
    Free Member

got broken into on Guy Fawkes’ in the only ground floor place I’ve lived in.

Ive got a ground floor flat and privacy can be a bit of a issue but it cost me a 150PM less than the exact same flat 1 floor above me seemed like a no brainer

The answer is clear, don’t go out on Guy Fawkes’ (or any other traditionally popular evening of entertainmnet)and save yourself almost 2k per year.

project
    Free Member

Decent locks on the dooors and windows, and its usualy upper floors that get done more often,somebody will stand gusard outside or or on the stairs and give warning a resident is on the way in or up .

Always ensure that the front comunal door is always kept closed and locked, not wedged oen, sometimes its like telling a cat,not to chase birds, thayts until a thief walks in and tries a few doors.

wallop

How heavy is your bike?

It’s not always the weight of the bike that’s the issue – some stairs can be tight.

seanodav
    Free Member

Always a risk of water damage from flat above, my sister in law is always flooding her downstairs neighbour 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

Soil stack did it for me ……

As for security – no worse than a bungalow really – which command a premium over a 2 up 2 down where im from

RichPenny
    Free Member

The prices seem to be fairly similar here. My 2nd floor flat is great though. Lovely view, nice balcony and a 70sqm loft 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘are ground floor flats always cheaper/less desirable?’ is closed to new replies.