Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Are full suspension bikes easier on rear wheels?
  • swan0mighty
    Free Member

as title?

destroyed another rear wheel at glentress today and im kinda looking for an excuse to buy a boardman fs

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Guess what? It depends on lots of things. Needless to say, buy a good quality bike and good quality wheels and you shouldn’t have an issue.

In answer to your question, I think they are easier on rear wheels. It stands to reason.

Out of interest what wheels are you trashing?

Conan257
    Free Member

I’d learn to ride without destroying wheels, or buy wheels suitable to the type of riding you are doing.

swan0mighty
    Free Member

first one was the standard rear wheel on a 2011 genesis core 40,

cant remember what the second one was,

ive ordered a superstar flow wheelset now anyway

alpin
    Free Member

well in my time i’ve managed to destroy several wheels….. and proportioanlly more of those were whilst riding FS (don’t often ride FS) than on a HT.

i put it down to riding the FS harder to get that HT feeling of being connected/feedback from the back. maybe i should have better adapted my riding style to that of a FS. the manager of the shop where i was guiding wasn’t overly impressed. i destroyed 4 rears and one front in the six months i was there. problem was solved by riding my DB Alpine for the “freeride” tours. think most of the wheels in question were Mavic 317s or similar….

edit… this was on Gran Canaria…. bit more tech than a trail centre (i hope).

legend
    Free Member

Do you…. how to put this delicately…..have the figure of someone who works in IT? There’s no features/sections at GT that are particularly hard on components unless you’re a real smasher

VanHalen

i thought so but now i`ve just broke another handfull of spokes.

short travel fs tho. i`ve not managed to break spokes on a longer travel bike.

swan0mighty
    Free Member

had to cancel my order for superstar wheels as build time was to long, anywhere know where i can get buy a single rear wheel at a good price?

legend im around 13 stone, i think it must be the black drop off near the very end as your descending to the bottom car park (took the black route by mistake and just committed to it)

iainc

swan – I posted on your wanted the other day. I’m in East Kilbride – Mavic 717 (brand new rim, on a quite new XT hub, Centrelock. £60, pickup, cheers

swan0mighty
    Free Member

if you will do it for £50 il take it to cover the petrol cost?

let me know

I_Ache
    Free Member

think most of the wheels in question were Mavic 317s or similar….

I’m not surprised you broke them, I could destroy some 317s is a matter of minutes in my local (flat) woods. I killed a pair of new DT Swiss 4.2 rims in less than an hour. And 5.1s in about 2 hours.

In my experience FS bikes are easier on rims. I try to ride my ht as fast as I ride my fs downhill that tends to make for a very hard life for rear rims.

iainc

Swan – I’d meet in the middle at £55 if any good ?

swan0mighty
    Free Member

going to stay at £50 as i will also need a new disc as mine is a 6 bolt one

pm me if you change your mind

iainc

Swan – no email address in your profile. I can do it with a 160 XT rotor as its set up as my spare wheel. Could do wheel and rotor for £65. Let me know on email if you want it and we can sort something

Cheers

swan0mighty
    Free Member

emailed you

iainc

Cheers, mailed you back, sorted 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Are full suspension bikes easier on rear wheels?’ is closed to new replies.