Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Are EE / Orange talking rubbish?
  • franksinatra

I’m with Orange and contract is up in March so currently looking at options. I don’t get a signal at all in my house and have to reach out of a window to send a text message. Orange promote signal boost using UMA but is is only on a very limited range of phones.

Rep on the phone yesterday said that if I take out a 4G contract my signal will improve as it uses more powerful masts. I don’t want 4G and would be happy to just be able to make a call in my house. I’m very sceptical about this, do you think there is any truth in it? They have offered a phone on trial and return but I can’t really be bothered with the hassle if it is likely to be rubbish

dabble
    Free Member

what’s wrong with 4g? you could always make a tin foil hat if your scared they’re reading your thoughts. i’ve been using it for a year now, not done MeE eNEEE hAARM

jam-bo

Rep on the phone yesterday

will say whatever he needs to, to get you to sign up for another contract.

franksinatra

what’s wrong with 4g

Nothing wrong with it but I don’t need it so not wanting to pay more for it. Like I say, would be happy to get a decent signal to send a text!

dooosuk
    Free Member

Which friends phones work in your house? Move to that network.

stumpy01

dooosuk – Member
    Which friends phones work in your house? Move to that network.

+1

Find another network that works more reliably in your house/area and switch to them.

themilo
    Free Member

It’s guff I’m afraid mate. The 4g signal runs off the same mast as the 2g/3G and the coverage area is the same. You may have better coverage if your upgraded phone happens to have a more effective Ariel but that has zero to do with the strength of a 4g signal. You really should get 4g if it’s available though. It’s barely more expensive and massively more usable. When you have signal, obviously.

llama

Isn’t UMA basically making calls over your own WiFi connection? Not really a boost as such.

Anyway, he can’t be certain 4G will work better in your house, if you’ve got no 2/3G coverage I would have said this was pretty unlikely.

Cougar

It’s guff I’m afraid mate.

+1.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

As what Stumpy says, see what network works best via your mates phones. I’m with EE and must say I have been really impressed with both the phone/signal and customer service.

Flaperon

Orange Signal Box. ’nuff said. Other networks offer the same thing.

zippykona

My wife is with virgin and can’t get a signal at home. Virgin say they use ee /orange and have 99% coverage .
    Obviously they might be lying a little bit. ( unless of course the op is living next door)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’m having the same issue with Orange/EE. Go to Tesco and buy PAYG sims for the other networks (99p each) then you can see which one gives the best signal in your house before you commit to a contract.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I think 3G with Orange is 2100 mhz and 4G with EE is either 800mhz or 1800 mhz. So due to the longer wavelength then in theory you should get a better signal in some situations with 4G.

TBH I have found EE 4G to be the dog bollocks especially on upload My down speed is normally 20-40 and my up is normally 20-30.

Pieface

I have the same issue and have terminated my contract early.

If you can’t get 2g you won’t get 3 or 4 repsectively – this is backed up by their own website.

They offered us a signal booster that uses the Wi-fi but want £106 for it (£53 for my wife) but as its only £56 for early termination I’ve gone for a better deal with O2 through their Open Employee service and I know I get signal.

The signal booster working over Wi-Fi may be rubbish though, they only said this after I said that I would effectively be investing in their infrastructure which other people in my area would benefit from at no cost. I also mentioned that how can it boost a signal that doesn’t exist?

Just speak to them and say that you’ve spoken to their technical team and that the only thing that will retain you is a free, no obligation signal booster and that if it doesn’t work you can terminate your contract under no obligation. They gave me my PAC pretty quickly.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Surely that will help his net but not calls / txts

molgrips
    Free Member

Anecdotally, I get much more consistent signal with 4G than I did with 3G+. In my house it would cut out in the kitchem and at this desk, now it doesn’t. In my office at work there is very little 3G signal on all networks but I get full bars on 4G. So I think that’s plausible. Plus ISTR reading the same thing a while ago about signal strength and range.

However as above, there are no guarantees.

franksinatra

The only reason I am giving this any time is that I currently get a stonking good deal with Orange so any network move would likely mean an extra £10 or so per month. I will pay this to ensure my phone is usable at home but would prefer to retain current orange deal.

luffy105
    Free Member

My firm recently changed networks to voda and my house has no voda signal. Company gave me one of those boxes that you attach to your router (sure signal) and it has been fantastic. Love having full signal at home.

Is there not an orange version?

somouk
    Free Member

4G does have better coverage than 2g and 3g due to the frequencies used but that has nothing to do with your calls, it’s only really a data feature and if signal is low for calls then it will still be low.

bensales
    Free Member

Orange Signal box is utter you_know_what.

I spent 6 months arguing the toss with Orange over lack of signal at my place. As it was fine when we moved in, then gradually deteriorated over a year, and they admitted they were turning off 3G masts to roll out 4G ones, they should have released me from my contract according to the actual letter of the contract.

But no, they had to try all sorts of tests, then a Signal Box that would never stay up which they blamed on my rock-solid-never-down 120Mb broadband.

They also tried to convince me to switch to 4G as it was a ‘stronger signal’. At £20 a month more.

Cost me £650 in total to buy out the remaining time on two contracts.

I’m now happily on two Giffgaff £7.50 a month jobbies with perfect reception anywhere in the house, and faster throughput.

I’ll never give Orange/EE/T-mobile a penny again as long as I live.

franksinatra

As far as I know Orange have two products

Signal Boost / UMA. Have used this before and it was very good but relies on having a phone with Orange firmware. Very few of their phones have UMA and Orange firmware is traditionally very slow at being updated. I had it on my last phone and works well but phone was replaced with generic model through insurance and never had it since.

signal Boost Box thing. Only available on business contracts so no good to me.

bensales
    Free Member

You can get the Signal Box as a private customer if you’re complaining about coverage. It’s also free.

I have one on my desk to prove it. At present you cannot just buy one like business customers can.

Anyone can have mine for the cost of the postage. No idea whether it’s linked to an account or not so caveat emptor.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Withiut reading any of the above but having had numerous unwanted conversations with dix at ee/orange, I’d say yes, they’re talking shyte. What a shame – Orange were excellent

CountZero

what’s wrong with 4g
    Nothing wrong with it but I don’t need it so not wanting to pay more for it. Like I say, would be happy to get a decent signal to send a text!

If it gets you a signal indoors, then you need it.

They have offered a phone on trial and return but I can’t really be bothered with the hassle if it is likely to be rubbish

What have you got to lose? It’s highly unlikely to be rubbish, if it’s 4G capable, and it costs you nothing to try it, does it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Are EE / Orange talking rubbish?’ is closed to new replies.