Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Are Easton haven wheels any good ?
  • sofaking
    Free Member

the 29er, 20mm and 142 mm variety in particular (chain reaction have the 2011 ones on offer )
    or should I consider some others ?

cheers
    Matt

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

No.

Have a look on here with search function or check MTBR. Loads of bearing failures (on original and warranty replacement) and a bearing preload ‘feature’ that needs constant attention. They’ve been half price at CRC or Merlin on and off for the last year and I was previously offered mates rates and still wouldnt touch them.

sofaking
    Free Member

cheers for the heads up. off to search for something else

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I really wanted to like them as I am a tart and have other easton/haven kit but was overwhelmed by the same reports of failures. Even at half price they are more than Hope and your choice of bling rim and spoke.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/wheelset/easton/haven-disc/prd_449354_157crx.aspx

Weaknesses: HUBS!
    the hubs are terrible. the rear hub seperated the pressfit splined female/male interface from the hub body and freely spun it in the hub body, this allowed for a long walk home, Easton did send a new wheel for this!
    the bearings are a nightmare, constant replacement

Weaknesses: Reaching the top of Highline in Sedona, ready for the most awesome descent possible, the rear hub blew! As this was only my 6th ride on these wheels,

Weaknesses: The rear hub.
    HOWEVER… the guys on here who bash the rear hub are right. Easton blew it on this one

Weaknesses: Hubs! are garbage
    The hubs have been totally unreliable. In the three or so months I’ve had them they have been back for warranty twice. My brother has the aluminum havens, same hubs. He has replaced the bearings in the rear hub once already, the wheel is now at easton for repair again.
    A friend’s wheels have the same symptoms

etc ad nauseum 🙄

weeksy

All the same reasons i never bought a set recently. Went for Hopes instead.

somafunk

We’ve had a few in the shop recently (thanks to crc cheapy deal prices) due to non engaging rear freewheels which is a result of Easton fitting californian dust seals rather than general good old Hope mud n’ crud british weather type seals – strip down/rebuild and they’re good as new but it costs the customer £xamount everytime….they work fine for a few weeks till it happens again….and again etc. They’re cheap for a reason or relatively cheap on CRC compared to their full recommended price – how much?…ha-ha!. If you want reliable wheels to fit n’ forget now’t much can touch Hope hubs for the price/reliability/after service/ease of rebuilding.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

i was tempted by these, however after 8 years with a hope front hub that has never been serviced and is smoother than smooth and one strip down on the rear which is about 5 years old what can you say? well before you say it, they are used pretty much every day.

quality costs and with hope its supporting UK companies as well as assurance.

fudge9202
    Free Member

A bit of a tart also but saw sense and went for Hope Pro II Evos on Stans Flow for my new Bandit they look awesome and roll flawlessly and seal tubelessly without a problem

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

AVOID, I have a pair, they regularly eat front and rear bearings. It got so bad with the importer denying there was an issue and a long term sitting with them in warranty limbo that my LBS’s chief shouty person harangued the rep at a trade show in front of lots of people and they sent me a new wheel. The rear wheel has had some new internal bits and maybe better but I’m so paranoid now that they only get put on for the one month of summer we have.

I wish I’d bought Crank Brothers instead……….

boxfish
    Free Member

I wish I’d bought Crank Brothers instead

😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Are Easton haven wheels any good ?’ is closed to new replies.