• This topic has 61 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Are e bikes going to dominate the market and the future of mountain biking?
  • edhornby

when (HAHAHAAHAAHAHAA !!! ) all the safe cycling infra is built in Manchester I’ll probably switch to an ebike and ride in my work clothes. I’ll stick with a passive bike for fun and fitness

Marin
    Free Member

Yes.

johnx2
    Free Member

Riding french basque hills I’d say tipping point is passed, apart from for folks wanting a full on roadie workout. Probably more than half the casual/leisure bikes were ebikes (on sale for about 600 euros in decathlon), didn’t actually see that many mtbs but about half those I did see were ebikes.

Where I live there are about 12 or so good descents off the moor and a reasonable evening ride for me would take in three or four tops. On an ebike you could do all of them or a few laps of your faves, which bothers me as they won’t take all that much traffic. Whatever though, it’s coming…

ton

had a ebike when I was ill.
    got shut as soon as I was well.
    I will stick with my own engine power as long as able.

I like to suffer.

and I think there are lots the same.

so no,

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

poopscoop-I m loving the idea of re-purposed eBikes once they are financially at end of life -they could have lots of built in storage in the downtube (for bottles of whiskey etc ) and around the crank area if a motor could be stripped out and a storage box/new bottom bracket holder could be installed. A travelling light Bivvy bike maybe.

greavo

Interesting topic.

I don’t know why but I get that pit of my stomach feeling when reading/discussing e-bikes taking over. I’m not getting any younger so I should be happy that they’re an option. I can afford a decent one so it can’t be that.

I do like the challenge of going up hills using my own steam. On the descents I’m not that interested in speed I just love popping off every little lip, the jumps and bunny hopping obstacles. Throw it some interesting corners and I’m in heaven.

I’m 47 and 5ft 6 so my dream bike would be a short(ish), low and slack with 26″ / 27.5 wheels so I can throw it around. I have trouble throwing non e-bikes about these days so a 29er LLS e-bike weighing twice the weight of the above just fills me with dread, I know it would be fast but I fear that I would just be handing on…..

I’ll have to suck it up and try one I suppose.

scarlett
    Free Member

As an ebike owner I’m always amused (bemused) by the comments about ebikes and the perceived lack of effort. You’d think your average ebike rider was sat sipping tea from fine bone china whilst pedalling without a single bead of sweat appearing. I’m still exhausted on my Levo, I’m just exhausted after a 32km ride instead of the 18 I would have been able to do before. A ride where, after years of trying to keep up but infact being left behind because I wasn’t fast enough, I have been able to match my fellow riders without getting myself to the point of being so tired I crashed!

Riding an ebike doesn’t mean someone isn’t pushing or riding as hard as they can. In my case, I’m pushing harder and harder because I have the confidence. I’m climbing more, riding harder and attacking stuff I couldn’t ride before. I’m also fitter and riding my hardtail better on the occasions I do ride it.

You don’t need a reason to buy one other then you want one.

As for the OP; very probably, yes. I held off until I could afford one which I expect is the situation of most people. As people upgrade their ebikes and sell their old ones more will be avail second hand to people who can’t afford one new. I really dont understand why there might be an issue with ebikes getting more popular – they are still just bikes and people will still want to talk about them.

My Levo has been a revelation to me, I can only hope that other people get the opportunity too if it’s something they want to do.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve considered selling my car and getting an e-cargo bike.

I haven’t done so yet, but I’ve considered it 🙂

For me, e-MTBs aren’t really what I’m after from an MTB. It doesn’t bother or surprise me that they’re popular in some areas, and I might hire one one day if I’m in an area like that.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’d normally avoid these threads but since it is you Sanny! (Hope you and the family are good!) Ebikes will be a big part of the future but not everything. People / weirdos like you and me will always want to suffer more and pedal and carry. They are great but so are normal bikes. Just like full sus didn’t kill the hard tail. Ok, disc brakes killed v’s but that’s ‘coz they were shit. I have a couple of very nice ebikes in my garage but use my normal bikes much, much more.

mtbwiseman
    Free Member

Living on the Derbyshire Peak District I have seen the rapid growth of eMTB in the past year. I resisted it for ages citing they are for the lazy, old or unfit that’s before I borrowed one for the day and realised what a shift in the concept of mountainbiking it gives you. You travel further, higher and faster and burn the same amount of calories in the same time. Before I got my eMTB there was only one eMTB rider around the Ladybour routes now its split 80/20 but still in favour of the analogue MTB, I expect to see that levelling off at some point when the second hand market opens up more and makes initial ownership cost more accessible and the mindsets change.

Tenuous
    Free Member

I’ve considered selling my car and getting an e-cargo bike.

I haven’t done so yet, but I’ve considered it 🙂

I keep thinking about getting a Tern GSD for commuting and replacing a few car journeys. Just wish it was a bit cheaper 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

I keep thinking about getting a Tern GSD for commuting and replacing a few car journeys. Just wish it was a bit cheaper 🙂

I think I’d have to sell the car. 2 car household at the moment, so theoretically there’s scope!

iainc

In response to your original question Sanny, I’d say yes. Chatting to the guys in LBS, they are selling more ebikes than acoustic, and they are one of the biggest shops around (Sprockets in Kilmarnock). The guys in the shop, who are young, fit and very good riders are mostly all on ebikes and their riding mates are going the same way. Why ? More fun on the way up, more riding in a set time period, more sociable as they can all pedal up and along at similar pace.

I have just ordered an Orbea Wild FS from them, having ridden a few different test bikes. Full carbon, 29er, 150mm travel both ends. Yes, some health issues were the final trigger for me, but the test rides were a revelation, especially a few hours on a Focus Jam2 Plus on the tecky trails above Carrbridge (thanks Nash and the team at Ride Cairngorm). For me, and I suspect many others who may not know it yet, they are just more fun. The stuff about it not being a workout is bollocks, ok you can avoid max HR spikes (why I am finally getting one) but you will still sit well in Zone 3/sweetspot for a few hours and burn a heap of calories. Just don’t choose a route with too many locked gates and fences….

chiefgrooveguru

“Just don’t choose a route with too many locked gates and fences….”

They’re not THAT heavy! And getting strong is good for you, especially as you’re getting older! 😉

georgesdad

I’m off to Glentress at the weekend and part of the hotel deal is the use of a Levo for a day. I’m really not that arsed TBH but my brother isn’t as fit (I’m not that fit) so he’s quite keen. I ride to keep fit, and I enjoy climbing as much as descending. I like to go out and come back feeling like I’ve worked hard, but also that I’ve improved as a rider slightly. Y’know, I picked a better line on that techy climb, or I found my flow on a particular descent. Also that I was faster than my last attempt. But I want to know that it’s me doing it all. I’m slightly apprehensive of trying the Levo in case my inner couch potato comes out and I start to want one. I’ve nothing against those who ride ebikes and the arguments for them definitely make sense, it’s just not for me. Or maybe it is. I guess I’ll find out! Either way I suspect it’ll take off massively in the next few years as tech filters down, ebikes get lighter and the entry point to a quality ebike gets cheaper.

roverpig

I’m sure we had threads a few years ago where shops claimed to be selling more fat bikes than skinny ones and look at them now. Ebikes have just hit the mainstream and there is a “new” market of people who don’t ride a bike but think they would if it were just a bit easier. I’ll bet the vast majority of these bikes don’t get used more than a few times and don’t get replaced. The reliable long term market is people that actually like cycling. Some will pay the extra for “more fun” but personally I doubt they will ever dominate.

I have a set number of hours to ride. With an Ebikes I could go further, but that just means I have to find longer routes.

moshimonster
    Free Member

If I lived in Chamonix I would certainly buy an e-bike. Probably would if I was riding at BPW every day too. But as my local trails are Woburn and Cannock Chase I much prefer to pedal myself around that kind of undulating singletrack. If you take away the challenge of all the pedalling parts then there isn’t much left! My daughter has an e-bike though, which is great for allowing us to ride together. It acts like an handicap system.

lunge

“Why spend all your time riding up for just one descent when you can get up the same trails considerably quicker and cram in more descending time?”

As climbing is fun? Give me a good, techy climb, or even a long lung buster and I’ll take that over a descent any day. Though i do accept that when I was 3 stone overweight I may not have agreed with that sentiment.

To answer the OP, I think in the future it’ll definitely be a much bigger market share, though the cost is prohibitive for most at the moment.

Paceman
    Free Member

I completely agree, hunting down and conquering steep techy climbs is one of the biggest buzzes on my e-bike; the sort of climbs 99% of riders would have to hike up. This really opens up your options ride more trails/loops etc.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Completely up to the individual and what type of bike or bikes they want to ride.
    I think they will grow as people are time tight and it allows you to ride more and more often.

Having a slipped disc my ebike gives me a way to continue riding in some form rather than sitting at home getting unfit.

Andy-R

ton

I will stick with my own engine power as long as able.

I like to suffer.

and I think there are lots the same.

so no,

Pretty much how I feel – as I’m an old bastard I’m sure that no-one would criticise me for riding an e-bike but I like the satisfaction of doing stuff under my own steam and that sometimes means carrying….
    At 67 I’m certainly not going to start carrying 40+ lb bikes around – I couldn’t even if I wanted to, tbh, because I’m not the biggest or the strongest. A 301 is about as much as I can manage for any distance and that’s a tad over 30lbs.

lunge

I completely agree, hunting down and conquering steep techy climbs is one of the biggest buzzes on my e-bike; the sort of climbs 99% of riders would have to hike up. This really opens up your options ride more trails/loops etc.

The other side of this is that I have a few climbs close to me that are tough but I suspect would be easy(er) on an eBike. An eBike might get me up there quicker but it takes away some of the challenge. In a strange way, it’s the parallel to the reason that gravel bikes are in vogue, that MTB’s are so capable we now want less capable bikes to make local, trails interesting.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Are e bikes going to dominate the market and the future of mountain biking?’ is closed to new replies.