Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Are e-bikes easy to clock the odometer?
  • sgn23
    Free Member

I’ve started looking at second hand e-bikes for my wife. I’ve bought and sold a few ‘normal’ bikes over the years, but spotting possible pitfalls on an e-bike requires new knowledge.

Lots of ads show the the mileage on the motor display. Can this be trusted, or is it simple for an unscrupulous seller to adjust to get a better price? I’ll look out for other wear signs in the traditional mechanics, but the motor is a bit of a mystery to me. Anything else I should watch out for?

doomanic

I’m not aware of clocking being a problem but with Bosch motors the odometer is reset when the motor gets replaced.

tomhoward

The mileage is largely irrelevant. Base any purchase on how much of the warranty is left, and if it can transfer to you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    qwerty
    Free Member

It reduces the mileage when you back pedal.

onehundredthidiot
    onehundredthidiot

Not sure if joking or……

daveylad
    Free Member

Ignore it. Buy on condition as you would a legacy bicycle.
    I would check battery charge cycles though.

intheborders
    Free Member

Many have an accompanying App, mine (Spesh) shows mileage and number of charging cycles the battery has had plus the current condition of motor, battery, display and update status.

julians
    Free Member

As above,ignore any milage on the displays,not because it can be easily clocked ,as far as I am aware they can’t be. But more cause it’s unlikely to be a good indicator of condition.

Just use the same assesment you would on a normal bike, IE check bearings for play,drivetrain for wear, frame for cracks/damage, wheels for trueness. In addition it is possible to get a battery health assessment either from the phone app for the system,or from the dealer’s diagnostic laptop, also look for motor errors on the display, check the cranks for significant play and any untowards noises , the motor should sound smooth like a motor(kind of like an RC car type of noise), not at all Grindy.

towzer

Have a shunting thru this

Homepage

Some engines are more repairable than others.

towzer

Sorry, shufti

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.