• This topic has 104 replies, 69 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hock.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • are cotic souls that good?
  • toys19
    Free Member

Souls are utter rubbish, get a BFe.

BigJohn

I have a Mk1 Soul. I’ve had it for years and don’t really ride any other bikes, and I didn’t have a particularly good one before so I can’t make any useful comparison with anything else.

Sometimes I set it up singlespeed and sometimes with gears. Mostly I ride on Cannock Chase and often I ride Lakes, Peaks, Scotland Wales, some trail centres and some natural stuff. Some of these trips are 3 dayesr, usually in the depth of winter.

All I know is I often get home knackered but usually finish the ride with a big stupid (59 yr old) grin (except that long cold wet day last month at CYB where it had been pouring the whole 7 hours and we got back in the dark with no lights and my waterproof turned out not to be) and I’m always looking forward to my next ride.

It goes up all the hills I want to ride up and it goes down all the hills I want to ride down, better than me.

I don’t really know what more I would want from a bike.

chiefgrooveguru

you ran off to Google to find an Alu 4x frame that is heavier? Well done! Doesn’t alter the FACT many others are lighter.

No, I ran off to google to find some DJ frame weights. Could you link me to some DJ/4X frames which are lighter? I’d like to see some facts rather than opinions.

Also, unless I’ve totally misunderstood 4X racing, the bikes are built to be as light as they can get away with for a season of racing, without breaking mid-race. Like a race BMX: Minimum weight and maximum stiffness at the expense of longterm resistance to fatigue failure. Very different to a DJ bike which is strong enough handle frequent crashes or an XC bike which is strong enough to handle countless hours of fatigue cycles.

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s a perfectly good do-it-all steel 26 HT. Is it ‘the best’? I don’t know I haven’t ridden them all. But it’s a safe bet to buy though because you know you’ll resell it OK. I bought one because I wanted an HT for my first self-build and it was obvious on here that there was critical mass behind it. I bought one because people buy them, to put it another way.

I suspect there is a bit of brand-premium built into the pricing. Fair-dos take it or leave it, we all have a choice.

After having my Mk2 Soul I bought a Dialled Love/Hate – I actually preferred the ride of the L/H, it was a little softer. If the Mk3 Soul is stiffer than the Mk2 it wouldn’t be for me. (I have since switched to 29, had there been a Solaris around to demo I would have done).

Cy’s a smart guy, good on him.

bullroar
    Free Member

Souls are utter rubbish, get a BFe

I intend to once they have some stock at BaldyGeek towers, if anyone at the towers is tuned in perhaps they could give us an update on that.

daveb
    Free Member

I have had a M1, M2 and currently ahve one of the brand new ones built up. I have ridden a few other steel frames (Blizzard, Handjob, Duster and P7) and much prefer the Soul, I also own a Soda, great frame as well. I also know someone that hated the M2 Soul, I bought it from him and loved it :). I bought a P7 a while back, was told how great it was but hated it, it doesnt make it a bad frame, it just didnt suit me. The person I sold it too raves about it.

Its all personal preference, mines is the Soul, I also have two FS and the Soul or Soda are almost always the bikes I go out on.

They are only overpriced if you dont want to pay that amount. The weight thing, I think it is quite heavy but I am not using it for racing so not that big a deal.

mt
    Free Member

Since when has under £500 quid been expensive for a frame?

cy

COMMUNIQUE FROM BALDYGEEK TOWERS [STOP]

NEW SHIPMENT OF SOUL AND BFE FRAMES ARRIVES TOMORROW [STOP] IF YOU HAVE AN ORDER IN IT SHOULD BE WITH YOU LATE THIS WEEK OR EARLY NEXT [STOP] WE HAVE LOTS OF BACK ORDERS TO GET THROUGH [STOP] WE WILL BE IN TOUCH FOR PAYMENT IF WE DON’T CURRENTLY HAVE DETAILS [STOP]

[MESSAGE ENDS]

Joe

Since On-One inbred’s cost about 50 pence new.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

cy – Member

NEW SHIPMENT OF SOUL AND BFE FRAMES ARRIVES TOMORROW [STOP] IF YOU HAVE AN ORDER IN IT SHOULD BE WITH YOU LATE THIS WEEK OR EARLY NEXT [STOP] WE HAVE LOTS OF BACK ORDERS TO GET THROUGH [STOP] WE WILL BE IN TOUCH FOR PAYMENT IF WE DON’T CURRENTLY HAVE DETAILS [STOP]

[MESSAGE ENDS]

Genius… 😆

bullroar
    Free Member

Communique to BaldyGeek Towers [stop]

Thanks for update [Stop], Debit card at the ready [Stop]

amedias
    Free Member

I like mine, I also like my other (different) bikes, you may disagree. Hope that helps.

Northwind

I loved mine- an absolutely superb allrounder. Only replaced it as I didn’t really want an allrounder any more, but I kept comparing everything that followed unfavourably to the Soul, took a lynskey titanium HT to match it. Not bad.

Joe – Member

Quite heavy and lumbering in my opinion

Gwan then, give us some examples of lighter, modern steel frames?

godzilla
    Free Member

What size Soul/bfe is closest to an 18″ Orange Five for a 6ft lad? Looking for a similar top tubes length.
    Sorry to go off topic, but being as your all here I may as well ask.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh nice bikes, good CS. I’ve got a singlespeed one. I like the geometry.

The main reason they’re so popular is the way they’ve marketed, as Mr Smith explains.

If it was a brand like DMR or 24Seven selling them they wouldnt sell anywhere near as many.

righog
    Free Member

godzilla – Member
    What size Soul/bfe is closest to an 18″ Orange Five for a 6ft lad? Looking for a similar top tubes length.
    Sorry to go off topic, but being as your all here I may as well ask.

Just measured both. Mine are exactly the same length TT. But with slightly different set up’s Soul has a lay back post and a 50 mm stem. Five has Dropper post ( in line) and a 70 mm stem. So you can get them the same length easily enough. You may want to look at the larger Soul if you don,t want to use a lay back post. ( 68.5 cm from center of post to end of stem)

feenster
    Free Member

Cotic soul’s are bicycle frames made of steel, onto which bicycle components can be fitted creating what is known as a mountain bike, a bike capable of being ridden in relative comfort and speed on challenging off road terrain (skill, strength and fitness of rider not withstanding). Some people people who have ridden a cotic soul frame fitted with mountain bike components like them and even feel that they are the most pleasing mountain bike they have ridden. Others who have ridden them do not like them. Still others who have never ridden them, for some reason do not like them, and perhaps even more puzzling, some who have not ridden them really like them. Consensus on whether they are any good has thus far proved elusive.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Thinking now on shifting my C456 for a Soul.Mmmmmm, decisions……. 😯

mt
    Free Member

Look if I say they are a good bike they must be, after all know absolutely nothing about bikes.

emac65
    Free Member

Know of a few people who have had one,loved it & then sold it.It would also seem a few people on here have had them,loved them & then sold them…….

Dunno about anybody else but I keep the bikes/frames I like…..

Always thought they were an overpriced steel h/tail(like Cove)which is why I’ve never bothered with them.Rubbish warranty as well..2 years,you’re having a laugh……….

mboy
    Free Member

Thing is that people want different things from a bike. Some people want out and out VFM, some want a lightweight race bike, some want something strong enough they won’t break it etc.

And some people just want a smile on their face when they ride their bike. Which is I think where bikes like the Soul fit in.

To a large extent, a steel hardtail with a 120(ish)mm travel fork on is a compromise, but for most things its such a good compromise that it makes sense to so many people so much of the time. I’ve not got a Soul (I’ve nearly bought one a couple of times though), but I do own something very similar, and though its never the perfect bike for any situation, its so much less of a compromise than other bikes are so much of the time that it makes sense.

I like the Soul a lot, my only gripe is that its now (IMO) slightly expensive for what it is compared to some of its competitors, but then again, it has definitely reached a cult status, and has earned an enviable reputation. Thing is, if its the kind of bike that appeals, you’ll stump up the cash and you know you’ll love it. If it doesn’t appeal at all, you’ll ride your (insert name of bike here) around, questioning why people rave about the Soul so much. People used to rave about On One Inbreds in a similar way years ago remember, and that’s a very similar formula, albeit made from cheaper materials and a lb or so heavier. They’re just bikes for riding, over and over and over again.

Only reason I don’t own one is cos I was offered something very similar, for less money, and made of Titanium, and I love it! But I’d have bought a Soul otherwise…

maxtorque

BigJohn

I don’t really know what more I would want from a bike.

That pretty much sums it up for me! When you get past all the bull**** bingo, the Bang-on-Trend geometery stuff, giving 2cents about what size your wheels are, “saving” 23grams on a crankset, how many gears you have, how many gear you haven’t got, The length of your stem and how much travel your forks have, making you’re own choice about wearing a helmet, and all the other stuff that is discussed and argued about incessantly, it’s just about riding a bike!

And there do seem to be an awful lot of people who get a lot of enjoyment from swinging their leg over a soul and just pedalling off with a big smile. The fact that the bike could be “good”, “bad” or “heavy” or “light” doesn’t even come into it 😉

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Unless you have been made redundant/bought a new model/changed your mind about the colour/ had an injury etc..

Good job there is only black/white. Just imagine if there was a whole world of colour just outside your visible spectrum?

dmw536
    Free Member

cy – Member

[MESSAGE ENDS]
    Cheers for the update! Hope my payment goes through for my Bfe! (I’m the guy who tried to remember my card numbers off the top of my head)

p.s. if you send mine out first I promise to tell STW how amazing it is and defend against the haters…

smell_it
    Free Member

Only reason I don’t own one is cos I was offered something very similar, for less money, and made of Titanium

Don’t worry, you can buy a Soul when that breaks 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Yes they are – swore I’d only ever sell my Soul for a Soda. Or possibly a Solaris. Maybe a Cotic X…..

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Cy any chance of a free one? Given all the publicity?

I am amazed at the response this has got. I would like to tryone as I am looking into getting a bike for the commute, but is capable on trails as well. Seems it may be the way to go.

So what colour for a cotic soul?

And forks?

mboy
    Free Member

Don’t worry, you can buy a Soul when that breaks

Indeed! Pretty much my thought process when I got said frame… Though its holding up pretty well at the moment thanks, probably due to it being Taiwanese rather than US made! 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

Orange.

And forks?

120mm Rebas.

Hey how about that, there’s one for sale: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mk2-cotic-soul-small-orange-full-build

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Cheers for the tips on colour and fork choice, but frame too small for me im afraid.

Ash

ononeorange

Yes (for me) my Soul is ace and so is my Simple (funnily enough).

And Mr Baldygeek is a jolly fine chap.

mattjg
    Free Member

@ash no worries – the RF SixC Carbon Risers are a great match in orange too, and light as a very light thing.

munchiepumps
    Free Member

First proper mountain bike I bought was a RM Hammer Race loved it and rode it into the ground.
    When it broke I started the quest of buying steel frames to try and find a suitable replacement, nothing came close until the soul.
    May not be everyones cup of tea but I would never part with mine, been thru a selection of FS but the soul is always my first choice for nearly every ride.
    Thanks Cy…!

mattjg
    Free Member

Is this country full of sheds containing barely used full-boingers?

Northwind

emac65 – Member

Know of a few people who have had one,loved it & then sold it.It would also seem a few people on here have had them,loved them & then sold them…….

Always thought they were an overpriced steel h/tail(like Cove)which is why I’ve never bothered with them.Rubbish warranty as well..2 years,you’re having a laugh……….

Cotic’s warranty length is pretty standard, but their unwarranty’s superb- they look after customers out of warranty/second owners etc better than anyone else I’ve dealt with. Experience has shown me that it’s better to have no warranty with Cotic than a warranty with On One, frinstance, or Hope.

I sold my Soul, which I loved, because I wanted something that did things a bit different. No criticism of the Soul.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I owned a mk1 grey soul.
    It was heavy but with shortish forks I really liked it. Snapped through the breather hole on the chainstay.

I owned a roadrat too, that one snapped through a dent in the downtube.

They both taught me the lesson of not buying bike bits which you can’t afford to replace. 🙁

yunki
    Free Member

Cappuccino brown

And forks?

445mm carbon

skaifan
    Free Member

Love mine. Does everything without fault or fuss. It’s the answer to the equation n+1. I don’t ever think about needing another bike.

boltonjon

I ran a MK2 Soul for 12 months and loved it, however, it was to small so changed it for a 21″ C456

It really was a proper ‘fun’ machine. It made me smile when ever i rode it. But anything more than 2 hours killed my back

If Cy ever chose to build another batch of XL Souls then i’d have his arm off

However, he mentioned last year that he wouldn’t without 10 or so deposits and people on the forum wouldn’t put their money where their mouths were…

Awesome riding frames, great brand and lovely looking bikes

Damn my 36″ inside legs!! 🙂

Please Cy – build some more…..

shotsaway
    Free Member

In 2010 I bought a Ragley Mmmbop frame. After riding it for a few months, I had to retire her as she was just too harsh! I think my teeth are still rattling 😉 I sold the frame and with the proceeds (plus some extra cash), I decided to buy another frame. After reading many of the fan-boi threads on here about the Soul, I eventually decided to take the plunge and bought a 2nd hand frame in mid 2011. I didn’t know what to expect and TBH, after my Mmmbop experience I wasn’t expecting much. How wrong could I be. The Soul is a joy to ride (In fact it is way better than I ever expected!). It just suits me. If anything ever happened to her, i would be gutted. Yes i am now a fan-boi and yes whilst it wouldn’t suit everybody, I would certainly recommend the Soul. It’s the bike I ride the most.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘are cotic souls that good?’ is closed to new replies.