Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Are cheap hubs (on a road bike) slower?
  • ampthill

I’ve now had both brother in-laws tell me that on a recent ride they pedalled less than the person this was with due to superior wheel bearings

One swore by “sealed bearings” the other “a better group set” in this case Ultrega. The other bikes were a Womans Trek 1.2 and some sort of Aluminium Giant Defy.

What do you think?

thecaptain
    Free Member

no

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In theory a half decent cup and cone bearing in good condition will have less resistance than a cartridge bearing hub.
    It’s not the bearings that cause the drag, it’s the seals, and 4 cartridge bearings have 8 seals. 2 cup and cone bearings have 2 seals…..
    So in theory a £30 Shimano hub will have less drag then a £200 hope.

Note – I believe this theory. 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Lost in the noise. Unless the other bearings have something wrong with them then drops vs hoods makes more difference.

RustySpanner

All brother’s in law are idiots.
    It seems to be some sort of immutable rule of the universe.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Even if they do, assuming they are properly maintained, it’ll be a watt or two (maybe two or three seconds over a 25 mile time trial.) No way it’d be noticeable on anything other than a test rig.

Having said that, I do think there’s a noticeable difference in feel between cartridge and cup and cone.

kerley
    Free Member

only if the person they were with had a bike with jammed up/faulty bearings.

The clothes they were wearing would have made more of a difference…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Balls (literally 😀 )

Unless it’s seized up, normal human being wouldn’t notice a difference.

Shimano hubs can be cheap because they’re simple with cage bearings (though maybe a faff on maintenance and getting preload right). Many cheap generic hubs are decent quality, just maybe a bit heavier and made by big names anyway. The bearings themselves will be same spec, just an expensive version might boast a fancy brand of bearing. It may be more durable, but won’t make you go faster.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Maybe they pedalled less because their wheels were rounder. That can make a big difference. 🙄

dirtydog
    Free Member

He’s talking Bollocks, difference will be inperceivable against the background of wind, tyre resistance.

stevious

Maybe they pedalled less because they were in a different gear.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You mean cheap hubs that come out of a chinese sweat shop with cartridge bearings. Yes, they’ll be very very (very very) slightly slower than a decent hub, like dura ace or record.

ampthill

As I thought

Bizarley neither are idiots

One teachs bike maintenance (and building skills) the other is a combustion physicist

kerley
    Free Member

intelligent people can still be idiots in some subjects

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yes and no and yes.

Dad had some really cheap wheels on his first road bike, rolling downhill it was obvious they were MILES slower.

Then anything half decent will be much the same.

Then ceramic bearings at the top end will be quicker.

matt_outandabout

Surely the freewheel mechanism and any seals are more of an influence than bearings?
    Surely to a factor of x lots, things like rider weight, fitness, technique, tyre rolling resistance, wheel and bike weight are all bigger factors?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Then ceramic bearings at the top end will be quicker.

Not really, most of the benefits of ceramic can be got by using a more suitable lubricant, and making sure that you’ve got the highest spec (roundest and run out) bearings you can. The actual ceramicness makes 3/8ths of no difference at all to drag.

Unless you only ever play with them on a test rig.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dura Ace hubs roll quickest. Cup and cone bearings and a very quiet freehub.

cpon
    Free Member

Tyre pressure, wheel weight, rider position, clothing choice, weight of bike, style of clothing will all have a greater effect than hub bearings.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Marginal gains. Not Triamcinolone was it?

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

If you can see the other guy pedalling then you’re behind them, in which case you’ll be pedalling less because you’re drafting.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

PP IS dead correct… My hopes 4 x 2rs seals so that’s 8. My cup and cone set correct zero seals… Seal being grease. I would do the calcs on seal and bearing loss but I have wine and cannot be arsed. Difference will be about the same as a big poo before ride.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Having tested this quite thoroughly, I found ceramics best closely followed by cup and cone,(nothing between shim and and Campag), dt240s, and then Miche hubs with generic cartridge bearings. The difference was more “than a few seconds” 😀

TiRed

My Dura Ace hubs are smoother than my cartridge bearing Giant SLR hubs. But it is not a huge effect.

ctk
    Free Member

Its more important to have very heavy rims/tyres for the flywheel effect.

mrblobby
    Free Member

TheDoctor, how did you test? Results published anywhere?

I’d be surprised if it’s more than single digit watts between best and worst assuming all are in good condition.

maccruiskeen

they pedalled less than the person this was with

If someone is ‘pedalling less’ then both riders are more or less freewheeling and just using a few pedal strokes to maintain speed. I pedal less than my girlfriend to ride at the same speed down descents – sometimes I can freewheel past her while she’s pedalling. Its probably because I weight about 7 stone more than her and more attractive to gravity as a result.

A few pounds of spare tyre probably has more effect than a few quid at hub. 🙂

flap_jack
    Free Member

Roadies, eh ? And unless you’re racing, who gives a fig ?

edhornby

So many other variables that determine rolling speed, not least how hard you pedal before you start rolling 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Having tested this quite thoroughly, I found ceramics best closely followed by cup and cone,(nothing between shim and and Campag), dt240s, and then Miche hubs with generic cartridge bearings. The difference was more “than a few seconds”

How have you tested it? Serious question, I’m interested.

molgrips
    Free Member

There is a clear difference between my Hope and XTR hubs. However hub drag is such a tiny force compared to everything else I don’t think it would ever be noticeable whilst riding.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s rather my take. It must make a difference, but whether that is percepitlve or significant is another question entirely.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Friction Facts have done some testing on this (protocol here). You do need to purchase the report. I’m sure I’ve see an article about it on CyclingTips but I can’t seem to find it, just the one on lube and seals (where they do extrapolate to hubs.) I don’t think there was more than single digit watts between the ones tested though for hub drag.

PJay
    Free Member

It’s not related directly to the quality of hubs, but whilst Googling for information about changing the cartridges in my Hope hubs, I came across someone’s description of their search and testing for their optimal grease for use in Hope freehubs; they felt that the stock marine grease used caused to much drag!

ampthill

Roadies, eh ? And unless you’re racing, who gives a fig ?

The implication from brother in laws is that it really made a difference to the bike riding experience

Friction Facts have done some testing on this (protocol here). You do need to purchase the report. I’m sure I’ve see an article about it on CyclingTips but I can’t seem to find it, just the one on lube and seals (where they do extrapolate to hubs.) I don’t think there was more than single digit watts between the ones tested though for hub drag.

Great link. Best to worst hub is 1.35W. (edit damn just looked again that’s bottom brackets)

Rolling resistance here is in the 10 of Watts (well over 10)

Its a different testing regime but as expecting rolling resistance dwarfs bearing friction. Both of these are nothing compared to moving the air

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Are cheap hubs (on a road bike) slower?’ is closed to new replies.