Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Are chainstays any good, what are they mean't to do ?
  • james0706
    Free Member

I am looking to buy a chainStay Protectors but dont realy understand what they do, or what they are for ?

thomthumb
    Free Member

good for keeping the wheel away from the bottom bracket;)

ji
    Free Member

DO you mean a chainstay protector? The chainstay is the part of the frame that holds the back wheel to the bottom bracket (where the cranks/pedals fit on)

A protector stops the chain chipping the frame paintwork when you go over bumps

scaredypants

chainstay protector ?

if you don’t use chainstays you’re on a unicycle or something else weird

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

is this some sort of device for the chain you’re on about? chainstays keep the back wheel attached to your bike

james0706
    Free Member

I mean like an add on, Yes a chainStay protector, sorry. Like the: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=chainstay

munkyboy
    Free Member

i love this – i am about to buy something that i dont know what it is or what it does! you must be a pushover down the shops 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Give him a break, he’s only young.

When I was his age I bought a DCD purely on the basis that Martyn Ashton’s bike had one, not becuase I had any real need for one …

james0706
    Free Member

Ahhhaaaaaaa, but what does chainstay protectors do ? i have a little idea but what are they totaly for ?

scaredypants

james – wrap an old inner tube round it (like a tennis grip), ziptie it at the loose end and you’ll have a better protector than a neoprene sleeve

james0706
    Free Member

Oh, good idea, Thanks

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have a kinkybikes.com one. It stops the chain and your heels from marking the chainstays, also makes descents on some bikes a bit less noisy by preventing the chain slapping against the chainstays.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The chain slaps up and down when you ride over stuff, provided you have a flappy derailleur, not some nichewhore singlespeed. This chips the paint (and indeed metal) off the chainstay. Cover it up = less chipping.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

James the best solution that i have found is to use self amalgamating tape and wrap like a tennis racket. The benefit over an innertube is that it sticks to itself and doesn’t require a ziptie.

Click here dude!

seven
    Free Member

james,

go with what scaredy says.

the chainstay protecter will stop the paint on the drive side chainstay being chipped when the chain clatters against it on bouncy routes or when you get chain suck in muddy conditions.

hope that helps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Are chainstays any good, what are they mean't to do ?’ is closed to new replies.