Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Are brake mount adaptors universal, any brand fits any brake?
  • SiB
    Free Member

In particular would a shimano adaptor be ok for formula brakes? Works on the back brake (shimano adaptor IS for formula PM brakes)so I’m assuming OK for front too, pm to pm?

wwaswas

should be fine, I’ve done loads of different combo’s although I have found I’ve needed to look at bolt lengths carefully between brands to make sure they don’t bottom out in the fork or hit rotors etc if I do try and mix and match.

nixie

Mostly yes. Sometimes a calliper may big a big large in one dimension that means it will foul on the adaptor. Normally sort this with a file though.

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks

I’ll try the cheapo shimano ones first then the formulas if no joy

richmtb

avid ones normally need the stupid conical washers.

Not had any problem substituting hope for shimano and vice versa

Mowgli
    Free Member

Had to file 5mm off a Hayes one to stop it fouling on the rotor. No idea what sort of bike/hub it was designed for, but an hour with the file did sort it.

MSP

Mostly yes, but some adapt the angle slightly differently between the rotor and calliper, I had one combo which left a corner of the pad outside the braking surface, can’t remember which combo it was. But I do tend to try and use the correct adaptors these days (if I was buying a new adaptor). If I was using an adaptor out of the spares bin, I would check the pads after a few weeks to check nothing untoward was happening.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

richmtb – Member
    avid ones normally need the stupid conical washers.

The spacing for tri-align washers is built into the caliper, not the adaptor. Avid adaptors are interchangable with shimano/formula/hope etc

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Are brake mount adaptors universal, any brand fits any brake?’ is closed to new replies.