Are BOA closures reliable on MTB shoes?

Home Forum Bike Forum Are BOA closures reliable on MTB shoes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Are BOA closures reliable on MTB shoes?
  • Premier Icon Vortexracing
    Subscriber

I have some Specialized S Works Road shoes with the BOA lacing system and find them very comfortable and great with the ability to make tiny adjustments.

I’m looking at the same shoe in MTB shoes, but was wondering how reliable are the BOA lacing systems for everyday muddy riding. Are they more suited to occasional racing use or as an everyday shoe lacing system?

ta

Chucky

Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

I’ve got BOA on my Lake winter MTB boots. Been using them for 3 years and never had any problems with them. They need tweaking up every now and then but that’s easy to do on the fly..

ti_pin_man

I have them on my specialized s works mtb shoes and have had them for 2 years and love them, the internal mechanism went on one of the four ratchets but I popped into specialized store and had them replaced, apparently mine had an early plastic system now replaced with a metal edge that wont wear as quickly.

Same as ti_pin_man. My road shoes have just been replaced becaused of a worn own ratchet. Easy to replace and relatively cheap to do as well. This certainly isn’t as deal breaking problem. My mountain bike shoes have gone through two cx seasons and are fine.

Premier Icon Vortexracing
    Subscriber

Cheers gents, it seems as though I was concerned for no reason.

Unfortunately, the answer means I am running out of reasons not to spend some silly money on some S works shoes 🙄

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

The BOA system has a lifetime guarantee. I snapped the lace on my Lake winter boots (now 5 years old). Go on the BOA website, fill in a form and they send you new parts for free.

Or if you’re in a hurry they are only a few quid from the LBS.

Served me well for quite a few years anyway.

Subscriber

Cheers 40mpg, I didn’t know that about BOA, I assume Spesh licence it from them?

Junkyard

yes all BOA are free replacement you go on to the website and get a free set sent out – everything is covered from the button/dial to the lace.
    In 6 years i have had them jam once on one boot so i could not undo [ to be fair i rarely clean them so hardly its fault] and one of my laces snapped recently – that was crap as i was out on a ride and could not keep the boot on my foot

Cannot recomend them enought tbh – like the fact you can do them up with gloves on – they have changed th emech now though so no idea what that is like

Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

that’s V useful 40mpg. I’ll keep that in mind if I need warranty parts.

Premier Icon shaggy
    Subscriber

I didn’t know about the warranty. The dial snapped of one of my Lake boots, a replacement would be handy.

Junkyard

https://www2.boatechnology.com/warranty.php

Boa provides replaceable parts at no charge for the life of the product in which we are integrated. In order to support the continuing improvement of Boa products and the products of the Brands we work with we need the following information in order to provide your parts at no charge. This will also be used as shipping information to get you the parts you need.

After filling out the required information, click “Continue”, which will take you to our shopping page where you can select the parts you need at no charge. Once items are added to your shopping cart, an automatic coupon will be applied and your parts will be free.

Premier Icon shaggy
    Subscriber

Just did it. Thanks for the heads up!

Top man Junkyard. New system ordered for my road shoes. I also have Specialized S Works montain bike and podium shoes with this system too so good to know about this. 🙂

Subscriber

see Johnny, you are useful 😉

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Like stevied, I’ve got the Lake boots with the BOA system, been wearing them for 3 winters now no problems. Also used BOA snowboard boots for many years with no trouble save one cable which I had to replace (think I over-tightened it). The only issue I can think of with MTB is if you accidentally knocked the dial in the right way it might cause the lacing to pop open (but realistically you will probably already be crashing if this happens!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Are BOA closures reliable on MTB shoes?’ is closed to new replies.