Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Are big phones so bad?
  • leffeboy

Am looking at changing my current phone but it seems that everything new is now up to 6.2in at the 150-200 price point.  I’m used to phones around 5.7in so these new phones seem huge but do you get used to them?  are they nicer once you get used to them or is this just a case of manufacturers following each other rather than being driven by what people want.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

My new XR was bigger than I was expecting compared to my previous iPhone 7 but I did get used to it pretty quickly. I used an older squarer iPhone for a short while and even though it was smaller it was more noticeable in the pocket.
    The case you use is probably going to make a big difference too

alanl
    Free Member

Ive recently gone form a Motorola G5, 5.7″ to a Huawei P30, 6.1″
    Theres a definite physical increase in size, but it isnt noticeable in the pocket.
    What is slightly annoying is the keyboard size is a little smaller, so I hit ‘space’ rather than N many times.

spacemonkey

Similar to swedishmetal, I jumped from a 7 to an XR. Screen looked massive to begin with but soon became used to it. Tis very thin though. Noticeable in ones pocket for sure especially with a case.

Didn’t want to take it out on the bike when I first got it – used an older iPhone for that. But then I did and have kept taking it out since.

scaredypants

Mine is a **** MONSTER !

Some huawei thing, tablet really but it takes a SIM so it’s a phone for me
    It’s fantastic for work where I use it to read and more particularly show information to people I work with. I barely ever make calls with it, which is lucky ‘cos you do look a bit Dom Jolly, but I carry it around all day in my pocket (JUST fits, actually won’t go into some of my trousers – would do if I took off the big thick leathery wallt/cover but I like that too)

I don’t suppose I’m a typical mobile user but I really like mine

kerley
    Free Member

Yes they are awful. I am still clinging on to my iPhone SE as it is big enough for my needs and fits better in trouser pocket, back pocket of cycling jersey etc,.

lunge

Yes they are awful.

They’re really not.
    I’ve had smaller phones, an SE, an iPhone 6 which is small compared to modern phones. I’m now on the new 11pro. The first time I picked up the 11pro it felt big, heavy and not right in the hand. It takes maybe 1 day to get used to the bigger phone then it feels normal. Now it’s just a phone. It still fits in my pockets, it still fits in my cycling jersey and it still fits in my phone pouch on my running pack.
    I am almost 100% sure that you’ll not notice the size within 24 hours.

kelron
    Free Member

@alanl Check your settings, or install gboard or another keyboard. You can change the size.

phil5556

What is slightly annoying is the keyboard size is a little smaller, so I hit ‘space’ rather than N many times.

Can you use Gboard? I used to use it and you can adjust the size of the keyboard.

andy5390

Samsung A40 is around £180 on Amazon, 5.9″ screen. So just a tad bigger, no bezels, so overall size isn’t mahoosive

leffeboy

Thanks all, that’s hugely useful.  Sounds like you do get used to it

I saw the Samsung and it’s a possibility. I’m liking the g7 power though as battery life is something I care about.  I’ll compare both though but it’s good to know the size isn’t something you regret. Good point about the case

phil5556

I used to have an Moto Z Play and a Nokia 8 after that, they didn’t really feel that big at the time. I still have the Moto kicking about at home and whenever I pick it up it feels huge compared to my 6S which I think is the perfect size.

When I replace it I’ll probably end up with something bigger and will get used to it again.

kerley
    Free Member

I am almost 100% sure that you’ll not notice the size within 24 hours.

Whereas I 100% know that I will not like the size after having a bigger phone for 3 weeks!
    (Had to buy an android phone which happened to be big so I could use the Government app to get settled status sorted out and sold it a few weeks later due to size)

I don’t care what others want or need, I simply don’t need a bigger screen so don’t need to deal with the extra bulk

blokeuptheroad

My Moto G7 power is 6.2″. I think it’s a great compromise between portability and usability. It’s still slim and small enough to slip into the back pocket of my keks almost unnoticed but My 55 year old eyes definitely appreciate the larger screen. On my old HTC the screen was too small which meant constantly fishing for reading glasses and the combo of fat fingers and a tiny keyboard was frustrating.

It is surprising how such a relatively small increase in size enhances usability so dramatically, for me at least. I also find I use my 10″ screened tablet a lot less since I got it.

scotroutes

I’m hoping Sony will carry on making a compact version.

simon_g

Went SE to XR. It’s just slightly too big for some trouser pockets. Other than that, all good though.

ayjaydoubleyou

I went from and Iphone 5 to 7 recently, so about the increase you describe. You get very comfy with what you have. I held the 5 in such a way that i could just reach the top left corner of the screen with the thumb of the hand I hold it with.

First week of the 7 was really frustrating, but it seems I’ve adjusted my grip and its fine now. the chamfered edges means it feels just as small when held/in a pocket.

If you want to go full 2020, have a smart watch for telling the time, making calls, receiving messages; and only get the phone out of your bag for more involved activities.

chakaping
    Free Member

No, they’re great. And I was sceptical.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have a g7 power.

It’s great.

I still lose it in my pockets.

Like don’t notice it at all unless I sit on it.

Currently on 92% since half 5 this morn and I know I can watch some TV on the bus when I go home from a night out.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have a Xiaomi 7″ screen phone. I’ve only very occasionally found it’s size an issue, and possibly on the same occasions I’ve found cash and a bunch of keys just as unwanted. Once I cave in and buy some reading glasses I might get a smaller phone again. The only other minor things I can think of is there become fewer pockets and pouches in bags and places in your car that it will fit. And, When I go jogging over the Moors I like to listen to podcasts / play music / track my route and you just can’t stick a big phone in a pocket and run comfortably, where as I often could manage with smaller lighter phone. I guess I could buy one of the pouches that people strap to their bicep if such a thing exists for a 7″ screen.

BillOddie

I have a iPhone 8 Plus, it’s big with a bezel and i have slapped a big case on it.

I have big hands and apparently large pockets.

kayak23

I’ve got a smallish phone but I get around that by holding it nearer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had one of those massive ulefone power’s for a while.

It was great, until i smashed it, as was it’s replacement, until i smashed it. I’m convinced the chinese brands lie about the “gorilla” glass they use in the screens. At best it’s mid-sized-monkey glass compared to higher end phones.

Screen size was great though. It’s only a fraction bigger but suddenly you can actually read documents in portrait rather than through a letterbox.

leffeboy

Screen size was great though. It’s only a fraction bigger but suddenly you can actually read documents in portrait rather than through a letterbox.

Another good point, tx.

TiRed

I have an 8+ in an Apple leather case. Yes it’s a bit big, but… Battery life is excellent and it has rendered my iPad Mini 4 redundant. I never expected the latter. It’s a good communcation device. I rarely make calls on it, and find the Airpods or my Watch good for that. I take it out of its case and ride with it in a clear sealing wallet in the back pocket. I also have an SE but can’t be bothered to swap sim.

Other phones are available, but I find the form factor very good. Typing is absolutely rubbish, and if I wanted a work phone to always have as a PHONE, then the SE is probably the best size. Son 1 has a regular 8 and I’m not tempted by that size for me.

I had a Blackberry Passport before the iPhone and work stopped supporting them. I guess I was used to something a bit larger, but I miss that keyboard so badly!

mogrim

I’ve got a Samsung A70, and it’s only really an issue with one particular pair of jeans that have slightly shorter (less deep) front pockets than the rest I have, and even then it’s only an issue when I’m driving. The rest of the time it’s great, no downside I can see. And battery life is good for 1.5-2 days, depending on usage.

cookeaa

My last two phones have both been Sony a Z2 which was huge (6.2″ IIRC) and then an ‘X-compact’ (5.6″ I think?) which was a significantly lower spec than most other stuff about at the time and is now overdue for replacement.

The Z2 taught me that big phones ain’t for me, I need to be able to pocket the thing, and I’m clumsy enough that it needs to be in a case for it’s own protection further adding to the bulk.
    Over time the Z2 wore a hole through at least one jeans pocket and then it picked up damage to the screen anyway just by being bloody huge and unwieldy.
    As wonderful as big phones might be, day to day I just need a smaller one.

Worst case if I’m having trouble viewing something on a smaller phone, I’ll just move it closer to my face…

Cougar

OK, I’ll swim against the tide. It’s a pain in the arse.

Every phone I’ve bought in the last decade or so has been slightly bigger than the last one. Come 2029 we’ll all be walking round like Dom Joly. I wouldn’t mind so much but there’s little to no choice otherwise unless you want something cheap and nasty, underpowered, or will never receive OS updates ever.

I have a tablet and reasonable eyesight. I don’t need a phone the size of Belgium.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

I’ve got an iPhone XS Max – that’s got a 6.5″ screen – it felt quite big when it was new, but I soon got used to it, and love it now.
    The only problem I’ve got, is that because my hands are so small, with consequently short thumbs,I sometimes need both hands to use the whole touchscreen (my iPhone SE was “just” about usable in one hand).

tinribz
    Free Member

Recently got a 7.2 one. Now when I have to use the standard size work phone it’s like its made for ants.

Still pocketable and not going back.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

To make it easier to hold get something like a stick on Garmin mount and put it on the back about 1/3 of the way up, gives your fingers something to grip, added bonus it’s easy to bar moutn too then.

hb70

I have just (yesterday) got a One+7 8mb 256gb from gearbest for £300. Size helps my deteriorating eyesight and fat fingers so its fine. And I am feeling very pleased with my foray into the grey market.

phil5556

Everyone with iPhones and sort fingers you do know you can gently double tap the home button and it slides the screen down?

Don’t know how/if you can do the same on the newer ones.

scotroutes

there’s little to no choice otherwise unless you want something cheap and nasty, underpowered, or will never receive OS updates ever.

Yip. Sony is the only option if you want Android.

Cougar

Sony is the only option if you want Android.

Sony falls into the category of

will never receive OS updates ever.

… unless they’ve got better since I last looked into it a couple of years ago.

joshvegas
    Free Member

The only problem I’ve got, is that because my hands are so small, with consequently short thumbs,I sometimes need both hands to use the whole touchscreen (my iPhone SE was “just” about usable in one hand).

On of the Moto actions shrinks the screen to allow one handed. It’s great.

I am also short of thumb

scotroutes

… unless they’ve got better since I last looked into it a couple of years ago.

I’m currently running Pie. 10 is due next month IIRC.

Cougar

Ah, fair enough. Looks like they’ve sorted their act out then. What handset?

phil5556

Sony falls into the category of

I’ve run into lack of update issues with Android phones in the past. Moto updated my last one to Android 9 and broke various things on it including Bluetooth. Google fixed these issues pretty quickly with updates, but Motorola decided nope, we’ve delivered 9 and that’s it. I had to buy a new phone ( or get in to installing custom roms etc). My next Android phone wasn’t much better and I took it back after 5 months for a refund and switched to Apple.

If I was getting another Android phone I’d probably make sure it was an Android One phone https://www.android.com/intl/en_uk/one/

Although I guess the “at least 2 years of updates” is from phone release and not purchase date. Apple are have just updated my 6S which was released over 4 years ago.

scotroutes

ZX2 Compact.

I doubt they’ll provide Android 11 when it comes along, though I guess this will be a pretty “old” handset by then. Hence my hope that they carry on with at least one compact option.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Are big phones so bad?’ is closed to new replies.