• This topic has 23 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by hols2.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Are Aussie bikes particularly noisy…
  • BruceWee

… or are some people just ****?

SIGN OUTRAGE

A western suburbs council is at war with noisy cyclists in a leafy neighbourhood.The City of Nedlands has put up "be quiet" signs along a popular cycling route, and it's left riders in a rage. #9News | http://9News.com.au

Posted by 9 News Perth on Sunday, September 8, 2019

If the locals decided to escalate by putting up roadblocks then cycling groups should also escalate by setting fire to their houses.

However, it should be noted I’m not very good at judging what a proportional response should be when getting into conflicts.

hols2
    Free Member

Are Aussies bikes particularly noisy…

Yes, they are insufferable. For the life of me, I don’t know how anybody can stand to live there.

cycling groups should also escalate by setting fire to their houses.

This sounds like an excellent idea.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

massively enjoying this thread already

ta11pau1

I’d be organising a very slow drive past of as many motorbikes as possible, as about 6am on a Sunday morning.

batfink
    Free Member

Ironically – I don’t think there are noise limits on motorbikes in Australia – most harley-type bikes seem to be completely unmuffled.

stevied
    Free Member

Big sales of Hope hubs in that area?

DezB
    Free Member

So many questions!

(Even when they’re not asking anything!)
    Hey hey to Lucy McLeod anyway 😛

DezB
    Free Member

Also! The loudest sound I make on my bike is swears at cars for driving like ****, so maybe if the Ozzies sorted out their drivers…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Australia really doesn’t seem like a very pro-cycling place.

andrewh
    Free Member

There’s some great riding there P-Jay, but the roads aren’t great.
    Cyclepath sign in Canberra with ‘This is V8 country’ spraypainted over it, can’t find pic at the moment.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Don’t think my KTM would be very welcome there………

P-Jay
    Free Member

There’s some great riding there P-Jay, but the roads aren’t great.
    Cyclepath sign in Canberra with ‘This is V8 country’ spraypainted over it, can’t find pic at the moment.

I once rode over the Parliament building on a rented MTB in Canberra in 2001, I hope it didn’t start something! I did it at the weekend when Canberra was closed so I didn’t think anyone saw.

Perhaps it’s all hyperbole, but all I’ve read about Aussie cycling in recent years:

Wear a helmet even if you’re just riding to the shops or pay fine (I’m not sure how I feel about that).

Have a bell on your bike, even if it’s a MTB that never goes on the road or pay fine, but more importantly the Police may stop your vehicle if it has bikes on/in it and fine you for not have a bell fitted to the bikes.

It’s illegal to have wide bars.

Motorists, pedestrians and well everyone thinks it okay to heckle and verbally abuse cyclists, and punishment passes and worse aren’t considered too bad.

willalone
    Free Member

I can’t open the link, but they’re probably referring to the noise of high deep section carbon roadbike wheels that are so popular in Australia, a bit like attaching a Hope hub to a drum 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

Seriously?

ta11pau1

Correct, some Giant bikes got recalled because their bars were over the legally allowed 700mm max width…

philjunior
    Free Member

700mm max width

Weirdos.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Is it any wonder Cycliq are an Australian company?

funkmasterp

That’s just, no, can’t even form a coherent response to this.

Australia can **** right off

onewheelgood

I dunno about Aussie bikes, but roadies are very noisy. I’ve been riding with a road club the last couple of years, and I feel pretty guilty about the racket when we’re cycling through quiet villages in a Sunday morning. All the stentorian calls of “hole left”, “slowing”, and their most feared thing of all, “gravel” really disturb the peace.

kayak23

700mm? That’s a fixie bar. 😯

On a sidenote, why must any report like that try to shoehorn as many subject-related puns in as possible?

Poopscoop

Is this an Ashes thing?😉

reeksy

Seeing as I live in Oz*…

Wide bars rule was scrapped. God knows what that was about.

I think proportionally there are probably as many Brits in Perth Australia as there are Britain!

I suspect there are more KTM per head of population than anywhere else on earth!!!

Helmets are required by law but plenty of people ignore the law.

Bells are required… Honestly don’t think anyone actually knows this.

Cycliq and Cyclevision (look it up) are both Australian. A local cycling advocate was recently killed by a drugged driver on my commute route. He had been petitioning for a while. His death is starting to change attitudes and if anything I think drivers are giving very wide passed in the majority of cases.

There are dicks everywhere.

*British born, lived here for over a decade

tdog
    Free Member

I ripped off a NO CYCLING sign that the residents locally fitted to a wall on a National cycle trail

Chucked it straight in bin as I am a lil’ rebel me!

Cool story huh!

hols2
    Free Member

Here’s a link to the handlebar width thing.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/news/giant-mountain-bikes-recalled-because-of-handlebar-width/

It was just an old safety standard that everyone ignored. Then somebody noticed that Giant’s bikes were in breach, so they implemented a voluntary recall. Competition bikes were excluded from the standard, so it was toothless anyway, apart from being ridiculous and universally ignored.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Are Aussie bikes particularly noisy…’ is closed to new replies.