Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Are all (well most) mountain bikers engineers?
  • VassagoJay
    Free Member

Nope ! elf & safety here 🙂

SlowJohn
    Free Member

im a market man, in birmingham wholesale. I sell flower’s, nearly finished a physics degee though so who knows what ill do next, teaching maybe.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Hmmm… Ex Cycle mechanic, Mech Engineering Degree and Civil engineering degree (tho i gave both up!)
    But been in sales for 10 years or more!

didmatt
    Free Member

im currently studying for a Graphic Design Degree. Not what I wanted to do when I left school though lol. But its all good 😀

Downhiller? I have tried it, more an all moutain techy rider. Love anything Technical, even uphills

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

i love anything technical too
    but i tend to fall off / bail out when i try to ride it

my job title includes the E word

zaskar
    Free Member

Medical Scientist (reserach and odd patient work. )

I did do an engeering course of racing cars, materials, tyres and forces at degree level before getting fed up of stats and changing my course which had more stats… 😈

antigee

DH = no
    i seem to ride the bits that most people would call boring fire road

Engineer =yes!!!!! stw BINGO somewhere have a piece of paper awarded to me after spending 3(+) years closely studying the vertical morphology/geology of The Peak and other good climbing places that says i’m a Microstructural Engineer – not sure if this was because they thought i hadn’t turned up enough to be able to spell Metallurgist or because they knew that one day in a bike shop i will need to say “well actually……. I AM AN ENGINEER!”

I provide ongoing real time hands on lifecycle management strategy support system solutions for mobile technical assets in the retail supply chain sector. (Truck mechanic, does that count ?)

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Most engineers I know tend to be more into xc type riding, and I do know what seems a highly disproportionate number of them compared to other careers. Most of the dh’ers I know are either tradesmen or they work in the bike industry in one form or another.

epicyclo

Bodger. I’ll shortly post details of my belt drive conversion as proof 🙂

Oggles
    Free Member

At least 90% of the guys in our cycling club are studying an engineering degree. I fall into the other lot as an industrial design student. (fair to say though that they may not all end up as engineers for their career!)

brakes
    Free Member

I have a degree in Engineering, but I’m not an engineer
    I like DHing, but I’m not a DHer

so I would fit your hypothesis, if I could be bothered

chakaping
    Free Member

I couldn’t engineer my way out of a paper bag.

But I could write about somebody else doing so, especially if it was Amy Winehouse.

furry_marmot
    Free Member

I am an experimental Physicist. My areas of research are unconventional superconductivity, emergent phenomena in strongly correlated systems and nanoelectronics.

I also race DH when I Escape from the lab. mainly Maxiavalanche cup and other similar events, plus some glacier racing in winter. sadly nowhere near as often as I’d like.

I refuse to ride uphill on principle.

MisterCrud
    Free Member

Tinkerer, that’s me. Can’t leave things as they are. Much to my surprise, it’s paid off.

wors

I refuse to ride uphill on principle

a bit lardy then?

VanHalen

i`m am engineer. a proper one. registered with the engineering council and everything.

mainly civil engineering.

DH? i did get an uplift once in Scotland at Laggan. after riding up the fire road twice i got bored of that bit.

BadlyWiredDog

No.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Where I work there are “Engineers” and “Craftsmen”, on the whole the “Engineers” may be very clever and have bits of paper saying so, but many of them struggle to know which end of a screwdriver to hold 😉

kiwijohn

Winemaker
    Down hiller after riding up.

phutphutend

Lots of interesting replies. Some of you chaps are very funny?

But as suggested earlier it would be great to have a pie chart quantifying the jobs done by mountain bikers. Perhaps even three charts: One for XC riders; one for DHers; and a total.

Anyone up for the task?

DezB
    Free Member

Some of you chaps are very funny?

I did enjoy your question mark… like, you think you are!

I’m in If&*!kingT, unfortunately.
    My riding buddy is a brewer. I reckon he’ll be a slim segment of the pie.

Dougal
    Free Member

It has been observed at many gatherings of Edinburgh Uni cycling bods that it will be almost entirely composed of people studying engineering, sciences or medicine. There shall be one arts or social sciences student, who shall be laughed at, and miss out on most of the jokes.

Me – Software engineer (I hate the phrase IT, it’s that thing wot you can study for 14days, and according to the TV ad, get an instant £37k).

Good to see plenty of law types enjoying the golf trails.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I’m an Instrument maker by trade-Engineers are also known to be some of the fussiest people on the planet-something to do with the way you are taught during an apprenticeship I reckon. No downhiller though.

smiffy

judging by the questions asked on here and the really stupid “advice” given back as replies I’d say very few have a grasp of engineering basics.

andyg
    Free Member

Work in Engineering (was an AMIEE) and IT.
    Do have a downhill bike though don’t use it a lot.
    White.
    Middle Class.
    Middle aged.

I think I fit the demographic perfectly.

dashman
    Free Member

Work as a stress engineer, prefer going downhill to uphill.

phutphutend

Work as a stress engineer, prefer going downhill to uphill.

Downhillers are normally designers and not stress engineers. I though i was the only downhill stres engineer, but aparently not. Where you based?

dashman
    Free Member

phutphutend, I’m based in Edinburgh.

takisawa2

Yes. BEng (Mech Eng’) but plenty of practical experience also.
    Downhill…though not specifically, like going up also, & along flat bits.

Its true there are a lot of Engineering grads that might know the theory but not the practical. Once had to draw a diagram for a manager as to why a slot drill, cutting a sq pocket, wouldn’t leave a 90deg corner.

phutphutend

I’m based in Edinburgh.

I’m Bristol, other end of the country. Downhill Stress Engineers are obviously few and far between!

phutphutend

I’m a stress engineer able to understand very complex non-linear behaviour of aircraft structures.

But my van’s just bust and i don’t know what’s wrong or even where to start.

Practical and theoretical knowledge are not the same thing. Although I’m shit hot at fixing bikes!

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Are all (well most) mountain bikers engineers?’ is closed to new replies.