Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Are all lock on grips the same length ?
  • I've got Rohloff on two bikes, so I've got a pair of regular length grips and a pair of short gripshift grips and put one of each on each bike.
    The short ones are a bit too short though. I've got big hands and it's aggravating a long term thumb injury by always having it wrapped around the bigger diameter of the Rohloff shifter.
    If I use a full length grip, there's not quite enough straight length of 'bar for the brake lever, gripshift, grip and bar end.
    The short ones are 90mm, the long ones are 130mm.
    I could do with some about 110 – 120mm.
    Who makes lock ons this length ?

Does anyone know or has anyone got any they could measure ?

jedi

a few companies make lock on style grips. try them all.

try them all

What ?
    Buy a pair of every type and measure them, then resell the ones that are not right ?
    Go in to a shop and measure them all ?
    Email all the manufacturers and ask them ?

I was kind of hoping a few people might have their bikes and a tape measure handy and could spare a moment to check for me.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I've got sunline lock-on's and they're 125mm – if that helps?

Thanks, but I think 120mm is the maximum I can use.

stuey
    Free Member

I've stanley knifed and dremmeled long ones down in the past.
    I cut the rubber bit with a scalpel first- to mark the protrusions that fit the collars. – a bit of faf but about 20mins to do a good job.

jedi

yeah go in a shop and measure them. then buy the ones that suit.
    simples

To answer my own question from three months ago, I thought all lock ons had a lock at both ends and if I cut them the non locked end would twist.
    Since then I've learned that some are rigid and only lock at one end, so it's actually quite easy to cut them down.
    Currently using a pair of Specialized ergo style grips with the right hand one cut down to about 110mm.

jonb
    Free Member

Some have lockon only at one end, you might be able to trim them. Try specialized

Thanks jonb.
    I prefer ergo type grips though.
    Do Specialized do them, or do they only do round ones ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Are all lock on grips the same length ?’ is closed to new replies.