Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Are all crown races the same (1 1/8th steerer into 1 1/2 headset)
  • Premier Icon big_scot_nanny

Hi!

Quick advice needed, not for me (no cillit bang involved), but mate who just bought new forks.

His bike had tapered forks, ones he bought are 1 1/8th straight. If we get 1 1/8th – 1 1/2 crown race (e.g. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/nukeproof-reducer-crown-race), will it be OK?

Are all crown races basically the same in the way they interface with the headset?

I know I’ve swapped about plenty of crown races from other forks and headsets on my own bikes, but this ain’t mine so I would rather not be too gung ho.

Premier Icon simondbarnes

Are all crown races basically the same in the way they interface with the headset?

No, there are different angles – generally 36 or 45 degrees.

Premier Icon big_scot_nanny

****. Any easy way to check or does it require to know the headset? Its a 2016 Giant eBike, info is thin on the ground.

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

Can he return the forks?

Tapered forks are stronger and ebikes are heavier.

Yep, suspect that might be the way to go.

Premier Icon nixie

I’d get tapered forks and do it proper. However if he insists on fitting the ones he has hope made an adaptor that would allow the existing crown race to fit the 1 ⅛ steerer

Premier Icon docrobster
    Free Member

Use the hope reducer as above. Then the existing headset will work.
    Am amazed that someone is selling new straight steerer forks in 2020!
    What has he bought?
    I doubt that they are less stiff than tapered though- certainly not unless he’s planning on smashing it down big rock gardens etc.

Premier Icon MartynS

to be fair he’s done really well to buy a straight steerer fork….

I used a hope reducer for a while on a bike with no problems.

Cheers folks. Hope looks like a good option, didn’t know about that.

It was a **** up by wiggle. forks advertised as tapered, but straight 1 1/8th came in the box. old/new 9mm QR revelations at a hell of a discount, good forks for what he needs and a huge upgrade over the sun tour basically fixed forks he has at the moment.

Looks like wiggle have the reducer in stock, maybe they will bung it to him as an apology.

Premier Icon pembo6

I’ve used those hope ones. Excellent. Better than the nukeprook option IMO. If you do go for the nukeproof one, you could alo buy a new nukeproof lower bearing. They’re cheap, and it will definately interface properly with the nukeproof reducer.

Premier Icon nixie

But probably not the lower cup of the headset so that’s a bad idea. The while point of the hope one is that it’s a filler and uses all the original headset bits.

Quick update in case anyone interested – wiggle sent him the hope adaptor for free.

We fitted it the other week – tight fit, needed a lot of banging from my trust lump hammer and wooden baton crown race/headset ‘installer’.

The original crown race from the old forks then fitted on top… well, as the hope adaptor has a right angled edge, and not a taper, i found it impossible to get the crown race on. Quick Dremel and we turned it into a split race.

Forks now installed, they are a superb upgrade over the old ones. Everyone happy. Cheers for the input you marvellous people.

Premier Icon mutepoint
    Free Member

👍😇good news!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.