• This topic has 162 replies, 100 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hock.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)
  • Are 29ers really the future?
  • kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Oh well you can please all the people all the time , some people have open minds and others are closed,

So people who think your bike is ugly are closed minded? Interesting. Also, WTF is it? It’s almost as ugly as my nicolai, and that’s saying something.

Keef
    Free Member

SSSSSSStu,
    I was out on my Frankenfatty today,however,at on point on my ride,I got very nervous,it occurred to me that as the wheels are of a similar diameter as a 29″er,they could in fact explode at any second.
    Imagine my relief,when I looked at the size on the tyre,and it said 26,not 29,suffice to say,I carried on my jolly way,with an easy mind.

and here’s a pic to cheer you all along !

er,that’s not me btw.

singlespeedstu

Keef.

I store my fatwheels in an explosion proof cage when not in use.

I know it says 26×3.8 on the side but you can never be too carefull with stuff like this.

Keef
    Free Member

OMG ! my bikes are in the house ! should I fone the emergency services ?

peachos
    Free Member

deanfbm – Member
    peachos – what a big shock, an exceptionally talented uk BMX legend shreds a bike he has been given. Another shocker “riding with good style and creativity makes riding look awesome”.

I never get this, is it really what goes through peoples minds, “they can ride like that because of their bike”? Doesn’t it never occur that a good rider is going ride good on whatever bike you stick underneath them?

You can’t buy skills or compensators, to gain anything in terms of riding takes time and hard work.

what a tool.

adeward
    Free Member

My last comment was badly written, my closed mind comment was supposed to be about trying new stuff

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

This thread is original, we should have a similar one every week 🙄

bol

They’re the way forward for me (tall) and my riding (in the UK, and not overly brave). Call me easily led if you will, but I feel like I ride better, am more confident and a bit quicker. Other people’s experience may differ. Oh, and I think mine look nice too.

Frankers
    Free Member

I bought a rigid 29er single speed Inbred, when they were selling them as complete bikes.

I have had previous Inbreds and liked
    the geometry but to be honest wasn’t that blown away with it, I can remember first going over some rooty sections and thinking it didn’t seem to smooth them out as much as I expected.

I sold it after a month or so on here

I have a Cotic Soul and Turner Flux both with 120mm Rebas that I prefer

Though I am very tempted to go for a new Solaris but am just worried that I won’t find much of a difference again

ontor
    Free Member

All other things being equal, I guess they would be, but as I said above my 29er runs with a much shorter stem…

that’ll be it then. you can build any bike to be twitchy but a larger wheel will – everything else being equal – be less twitchy. I have a 36inch wheeld unicycle that I used for a number of years and it just isn’t as nimble as the 29er unicycle I used (unicyclists got to 29ers first by years btw) which in turn wasn’t as nimble as the 24×3.

I’m not trying to argue that they’re no good. Just not suited for the sort of riding that floats my boat and so not the future for me.
    I have a cyclocross bike for riding the sort of stuff that I’d ride on a 29er and that really shifts!

flashes
    Free Member

I have both, like them both. It just adds another dimension to riding…

convert

Got one but tbh the other characteristics of the bike (being steel and Alfine geared) are at least as apparent as the wheel size when ridden. It’s not a life changer. Currently I also have a 26″ fs too and in a way that’s a pita as I can’t swap components about as much as I used to, have to remember which inner tube size is in my bag etc. Long term I’ll probably look to go one way or the other just for simplicity.

It strikes me it was also an unimaginative wheel size choice (just ripping off the road sizing) to bring in as a “new” innovative concept and no more thought through that the “original” 26 inch rims size.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

that’ll be it then. you can build any bike to be twitchy but a larger wheel will – everything else being equal – be less twitchy.

Indeed, but what I can’t imagine is that there’d be any need to make my 29″er any more twitchy and nimble. As I say, my 26″ wheeled bike is custom, and I asked them to build it for what I like, which is the Chilterns. I ride lots of ewok-chase forest fast bendy singletrack, and the 26″er is brilliant in it, but the Karate Monkey is pretty much as good. So much so that I wish I’d built the custom bike as a 29er.

Okay, one important disclaimer is that I’m 6’7″ so to be honest, my 29″ wheels are the same as a non-mutant-freak’s 26″ wheels anyway.

ontor
    Free Member

I’d love to have a spin on that ormondroyd if we ever meet in the flesh – sounds like a 29er I could love!

ton

sometimes i feel like bilbo baggins. i have been all the way to mordor, but now i feel safe and warm back in the shire.

eshershore
    Free Member

well, I am new to the 29’er and actually sold my 150mm all-mtn FS bike because I was bored of it, and wanted a new bike to stoke my fire

I’ve been riding MTB’s since the mid 1980’s, and this is the most interesting bike I have ridden for some time…

its very fast, handles beautifully and most of all, is huge fun to ride – which is all that matters, really?

I am 5’10” and this medium Stumpjumper Evo fits me perfectly with 70mm stem and 750mm bars

I bought the bike “blind” without test riding because I wanted to see what all the fuss, hype and negative comments were about, and have not found any issues relating to slow / cumbersome bike handling from the bigger wheel size?

mudplugga
    Free Member

Yes. 🙂

tazzymtb

no, they’re a daft idea for old giffers who are trying to re-discover their rebellious yoof or appear to be individuals (ss clown bikes in particular as riding and beer man, yeh fk the system and your rooolz)

only sad **** ride big wheels

FACT

mudplugga
    Free Member

😯

tazzymtb

😆

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Just don’t get any of this jibberish

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Bikes are great. We can all agree on that. They are whopee dooo fanf**ingtastic, and for that reason I can understand those who say “chill out, it’s just another type of bike” and “more variety is better” and “they are better for taller riders” etc etc etc.

They are relatively inoffensive viewpoints and in a way there is a bit of truth to that but, and I have a few big buts here…I feel there are some very serious issues which are being overlooked/ignored.
    First and foremost there is the simple issue of them being different. Different forks, different wheels, different frames, rims, spokes, tyres….we are constantly being told by hand ringing bike companies and distributors that economies of scale and complex distribution channels are to blame for exorbitant bike prices. 29ers, should they get to equal 26″ wheels in terms of proliferation represent further diversification in basically every major bike component out there. Which obviously can be seen as a reason/excuse for price hikes or lack of price drops.

Secondly, and on a somewhat related tone lets again assume that 29ers become as prolific as 26″, and lets assume there are 160mm and dh platforms with wagon wheels. Am I the only one who can envisage a situation where some bike company comes out with a “new” standard for hubs and axles to deal with the added forces generated by 29″ wheels and large volume 2ply tyres. 2 inch head tubes, 30mm front hubs…..etc etc and so on. More diverse standards, more expense. just a thought. the main problem I see with 29ers is further fracturing of standards, further complexity, further cost. And for what?

This whole issue hangs on the premise that 29″ wheels are better than 26″, the implication therein that 26″ wheels are deficient in some way. When I think about how far and how well 26″ wheeled mtbs have advanced in my time it’s staggering – my two full sussers, 120mm and 180mm blow my mind they, are so good. I am literally gobsmacked by them. I can scarcely imagine improving them. When someone comes alonng and claims “x is much better than y”, when y is already incredible, I have to view it with some skepticism. Thus far the only riders I know who claim to have experienced benefits of the big wheel are people who frankly can’t ride, and are looking to buy skill. That’s the truth of it. The tall (and very tall riders I know) who are decent bike handlers don’t seem to suffer this lingering suspicion that 26″ wheeled bikes are somehow wrong for them.

In terms of personal experience I’ve recently been out for rides with some fairly handy riders on 130mm 29er protypes and standard bikes with less travel and there was precious little, if anything to choose between them. The fastest riders up the climbs where the guys who were fastest up the climbs regardless of the bike, and the same guys were quickest down, regardless of the bike. At the end of the day it’ll always come down to the rider, not the bike. it’s just a shame that bike companies seem ruthlessly focused on making sure that the bike has big wheels and most people are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

When you really get right down to the bones of it i think it’s impossible to view it as anything other than a huge marketing ploy. I’d much rather have a 26″ wheel bikes that’s half the current price than have the choice of 26 and 29.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m amused that some folk think “29ers” are for trail centres, not proper XC and other folk think they’re crap for trail centres and should be devoted to XC.

epicyclo

druidh – Member
    I’m amused that some folk think “29ers” are for trail centres, not proper XC and other folk think they’re crap for trail centres and should be devoted to XC.

+1

I’m also amused that there are people who don’t realise that any bike can be ridden anywhere – it really all comes down to the rider.

So let’s start knocking riders who don’t have beards instead. Makes as much sense.

bullheart
    Free Member

Same old horse-shit dullard debate – just insert the subject matter; gears v ss, 29er v 26er, FS v HT, Al v Fe v C…

I swear to God I don’t think I could bring myself to ride with anyone who thought this was a topic worthy of getting wound up over.

It’s just bikes. It’s just riding. What else matters?

🙄

GlitterGary
    Free Member

29ers are still horrendous looking though. 🙂

tazzymtb

29ers are still horrendous looking though

I really like them, to my now warped view bikes with little wheels just look all out of proportion 😀

it’s all good dirty fun though so who cares?

triple_s

muddyfunster, where have you seen these 26″ bikes that are half the price of 29ers?

akak
    Free Member

What muddyfunster said. Also to return to the OP’s link this is what Dickon Hepworth of Santa Cruz UK said:

The entry level hardtail will predominantly be 29in. This will lead on to an increase in most riders first mountain bike being a 29in model. This is a significant factor as these first time riders will not be comparing them to a 26in bike’s riding characteristics, which is the source of most current negativity.

I cannot understand why he would say this – either a bigger wheel is an option to make a certain type of riding better (customer benefit) or a marketing device to sell more bikes (manufacturer benefit). Mr Hepworth seems to think that 29er without choice is the way forward – which helps no-one.

hugor
    Free Member

Lots of stereotypes being thrown about here presumably by people who haven’t ridden a 29er but spend too much time reading about them in mags and forums.

I left Aus 2 years ago to come here and could only really afford to bring one of my 4 MTB’s which include 26 6inch FS duelly, 29HT, 29 4inch FS duelly, 26HT.

I chose the 29 4 inch FS (Niner RIP9) cause I enjoy riding it the most, and it’s probably the best suited to be the one bike to do everything on.

It’s another bike thats all but it can do trail centres, local woods, open moorland, long all day epics.

The only thing it doesn’t do well is be a pub bike cause it draws too much attention to itself – I had to buy another bike for that!

smell_it
    Free Member

It’s like watching rats trapped in a maze with no exit.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The only thing it doesn’t do well is be a pub bike cause it draws too much attention to itself – I had to buy another bike for that!

Were too many people pointing and laughing at the funny wheels? 😉

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

They are all just bikes.

Chose your weapon, make a choice and keep grinning.

I’ve test ridden 12 bikes over the last 8-10 weeks and most have been 26 but 3 were 29. One was a Tallboy. I found that yes they are a slightly different bike to ride but you just get used to it and ride.

So, just shut up and ride what you ride 😉

julioflo
    Free Member

Choice is a good thing

DezB
    Free Member

Personally, I have no desire or even mild curiosity about changing my bike to one with bigger wheels.
    They are fab just as they are. I don’t need more fun, better rolling, or any of that stuff they are supposed to offer.

I’m still riding a 2006 bike and can’t think of any reason to change it to get more enjoyment out of riding. Whether it’s bigger wheels, better suspension, stiffer front/back end, whatever. Just don’t need it!

If you do need to get different stuff out of riding that a 29er will offer, then maybe they are the future, for you..

Sam

joao3v16 – Member
    I expect the most difficult people to convince of the 29er are those, like me, who’ve grown up riding 26ers … people new to, or rediscovering, MTBing will probably be more open minded … I should probably test ride a 29er one day, just to see

Couldn’t be further from the truth in my case – rode 26″ wheeled bikes since the late 80’s. Tinkered with 700c disc wheels and cross tyres in the late 90s. First I heard about 29ers it seemed like a good idea and once I tried one I was sold. Perhaps some people are less open to new ideas and/or more resistant to change.

TooTall
    Free Member

29ers are now, just like any other wheel size.

Hover bikes are the future as any fool knows 😀

darrell
    Free Member

well they are not in my immediate future as I’ve just ordered a Cannondale Flash 26er

organic355
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyIWPB-X49U&feature=related[/video]

rewski
    Free Member

Looking at this I’d say yes…

[video]http://vimeo.com/36855647[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Are 29ers really the future?’ is closed to new replies.