Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)
  • Ardrock 2022
  • richardkennerley

🤣

unsponsored
    Free Member

@richardkennerley

First one to get there. Although did a see a sign put out last year that was meant to reserve a spot on stage 1. The spot was a bad one.

tandemwarriors

Another early Sunday start here (8.20am), another ‘hardly ridden this year’, and another Cotic (black Rocket)  !!!  We can suffer together 🙂

Rob

rsl1
    Free Member

Edited after stupid question.

I’ll be on a rocket on sunday. Apparently I can avoid my early start and ride with mates later if I come to registration 30 minutes before their time

spawnofyorkshire

Can’t see that being a problem. You pay per person for camping, not by tent

crankbreaker

Probably a stupid question but I can’t find it on the website – are there a few water stations around the course to refill? Says water stations but no details and wondering how full to load up for the day.

spawnofyorkshire

Probably a stupid question but I can’t find it on the website – are there a few water stations around the course to refill? Says water stations but no details and wondering how full to load up for the day.

Yes, but i wouldn’t rely on them.

There’s a water tap in the village on the transition between stages 2 & 3.
    I’ll be carrying a 900ml bottle on my bike and a 700ml on my hip-pack

colournoise

Doing the Sprint this time. 1.20pm start. Wasn’t going at all (bad experience last time out 3 or 4 years ago) but then mates doing the full enduro taking about it and I got FOMO and the Sprint was all that was left. Doing the full Friday to Sunday.

Another Cotic rider too. Look out for the slow moving RocketMAX with a tractor tyre on the front…

crankbreaker

Thanks Spawn, I’ll keep space in the backpack for some extra then!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

in recent years theres been a water station at the end of stage 3 and then another coffee van/redbull tent between 5 and 6.

that said, may just need to face the sky and open your mouth,

fingers crossed, the rain is intermittent over the coming days, we all remember 2019..

its been raining in west yorkshire non stop since that supposed heatwave sun-tues last week.
    anyone got boots on the ground up there?

crankbreaker

Yeah I saw a similar weather report. I suppose the benefit of riding blind is that the conditions don’t change between practice and race run! Living in Buxton the rain is pretty incessant anyway!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@crankbeater, if you get chance before hand walk up stage one then along to stage 7 and down. its a nice walk out and you can see the pro’s on the saturday, always good to see hecklers wood and aim for a line through it, top middle or bottom. heard some heavy rim dings last year.
    or watch the youtube videos for an idea.

only a few bits on stage 1, 2 and 3 were you don’t want to be behind a nervous rider.
    i’ve seen people hurt themselfs because someones stopped on a steeper chute in front of them..

tomhoward

Can’t see that being a problem. You pay per person for camping, not by tent

Is the parking cost per car, or per person? Not clear from the website.

jamesoz

Is the parking cost per car, or per person? Not clear from the website.

Per person.

mboy
    Free Member

Working it again… Was a good fun event to work last year, looking forward to this weekend!

spawnofyorkshire

Well looks like I’m not riding Friday now. Took a tumble tonight on nothing and wrenched my thumb on my handlebars.
    Currently waiting in A&E to get a scan

Aye, not going no. Van died on the way back from Hammers (injectors), earliest garage can get it in is next thursday. Might have a punt at the ticket protect, but as I haven’t broken down on the way there not holding out much hope. Gutted to be fair.

dknwhy

First time for me…

Nobby Nic and a Rock Razor too little tyre for this one?
    It’s either that or I put the heavy E Thirteen LG1 race tyres back on…

jamesoz

Nobby Nic and a Rock Razor too little tyre for this one?
    It’s either that or I put the heavy E Thirteen LG1 race tyres back on

Supergravity casing on the rear?

I’ve punctured Maxxis Exo and WTB tough before.
    Depends how light you ride and how lucky you are I guess.
    There’s some sharp rocks.

richardkennerley

Just keep the rear pumped up hard. I’ve had a rock razor on the rear before.

Gribs

Quite how bad is it for killing tyres? I’m doing the Epic on Friday and planning a exo Assegai/Rekon (with a Vittoria insert) combo that survived a day a Antur Stiniog under me.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I am a local rider and as yet have never killed a tyre. I use WTB tyres and no inserts. 2.6 Vigilante light/grippy on the front and 2.6 Trail Boss tough/fast rolling on the back. Mate uses Maxis Minions on all of his bikes. He did try Hans Dampf last year for Ard Rock which didn’t work very well. Grip was the issue. Back to Minions for this year.

The terrain is mixed inc road climbs.

I’ve posted some of my images from last year onto Instagram this am showing the conditions last year. Stages 1 and 2 are shown.

https://www.instagram.com/unsponsoreduk/

The trails have been fast and dusty the last few weeks. But it has started to rain on and off this week (as it did last year). Hecklers wood and the bottom of stage 2 will get a bit muddy.

jamesoz

I am a local rider and as yet have never killed a tyre. I use WTB tyres and no inserts. 2.6 Vigilante light/grippy on the front and 2.6 Trail Boss tough/fast rolling on the back.

If the 2.6 trail Boss tough is anything like the 2.4 27.5, it’s a beefy old tyre. One of the heaviest I own.

Being local probably be helps you preserve your tyres

I’ll probably be on a Mary front and Rock razor Supergravity or specialized Eliminator BLK Dmd rear.

Or if it’s dry Eliminator front, Rock razor rear maybe.

I would be happy with a Minion EXO on the front but mine’s warped

dc1988

I’d go a fairly burly rear tyre just to be safe, I didn’t see many flats when I rode it but me and a friend both got a sliced tyre within a few hundred metres of each other and we’re not hard on equipment. Fortunately it was on practice day so didn’t ruin the race for us.

SOAP
    Free Member

BTW Sunday is NOT a race! Honest 😂
    7:45 start for me with DD tyres.
    I’ll be the 50 year old with cramp after the first stage and then hobbling in pain for the next 4 hours.

cheers_drive

Will be on our stand – 76 Projects – come say hello 👋👋

jamesmio
    Free Member

Doing it on Sunday

Signed up in April; declared this as ‘something good to train and get fit for’, caught bug after bug after bug and have done jaff all mtb’ing in weeks.

Got out for a quick lap round Mabie last night and hawked up more gunge than I’ve seen in months.

I’m going to die.

If when you pass me, please be kind.

dknwhy

Camping wise, how are the facilities? Can you park by your tent?
    Paid showers – coins or ticket system?
    Water taps?

Camping wise, how are the facilities? Can you park by your tent?
    Paid showers – coins or ticket system?
    Water taps?

You can park by your motor.

Coins, take plenty of pound coins, one of those towel changing robes will come in handy and a pair of crocs.

There are water containers to top up. But I took a few of the big bottles last year.

dknwhy

Thanks @relapsed_mandalorian

For anyone that wants to say hi, look out for the gold coloured Ford Tourneo, big inflatable Decathlon tent and black Labradoodle!

No worries, have a blast. It’s a great event, bitterly disappointed I can’t get there this year, the bill for the van should add insult to injury nicely. 😭😭😭😭

DrP

@dknwhy … when you heading up… me and a buddy will set up camp on Thurs eve… Rather than sit boringly on our own, I’m happy to meet a few STWers in the flesh….

DrP

FFJA
    Free Member

Local here, bumbling my way very very slowly on an Orange erm Orange Crush at 8:20 on Sunday for the Intro again as I found I enjoyed it much more than the Sprint. Feel free to say hello, I apologise in advance for slowing everyone down 😂

rsl1
    Free Member

Camping wise

Follow up question, how feasible is it to end up camped next to your mate coming from other end of the country? Can we save spaces next door?

colournoise

Any of the other Cotic riders here doing the CC social ride Friday/Saturday evening? Want to do one of those – probably the Saturday if I finish the Sprint in time…

If anyone wants to say a general STW ‘hi’, we’re heading up Friday morning – look out for a black and yellow campervan near a gazebo and flag with ‘Wakerley Wheelers’ branding (we look vaguely pro with our camping set up but ride strictly amateur).

fathomer

I’ve ended up with tickets for both the main Saturday Enduro and the Sunday Sport. Think I’m going to sleep well on Sunday night 😳
    Looking forward to it though, it’s a great event!

Follow up question, how feasible is it to end up camped next to your mate coming from other end of the country? Can we save spaces next door?

Depends what time you get there bud, it can fill up pretty quickly. I managed it last year because I went right to the end of the field a commandeered a corner and put up my event shelter to hold the space.

dknwhy

@DrP – we’re arriving early Friday morning (I’ve got a hotel booked an hour away on the Thurs night). Would be good to catch up again. Haven’t seen you since we did that ride with Dez and co at Rogate.

Not sure how easy it is to arrange an STW camp?
    If people want, PM me your mobile and I’ll set up an STW Ard Rock WhatsApp group…
    We can then at least share locations and try to get stuff arranged…

rsl1
    Free Member

Any of the other Cotic riders here doing the CC social ride Friday/Saturday evening?

I wasn’t aware there was one. When/Where?

colournoise

They sent an email out on their mailing list.

“We’re doing two social owner’s rides this year:

6pm Friday
    5pm Saturday – we’ll be back in time for the raffle.

The rides will be a chilled pace, around 60-90mins and all Cotic owners are welcome. The trails are classic Dales singletrack, a bit techy in places but perfectly rideable at a chilled pace on any Cotic mountain bike from a Mk1 Soul to a Gen4 RocketMAX.

Post ride beers at the stand on us.

Rides will depart from the Cotic stand at the times mentioned above, so if you’re joining us please get to our stand in plenty of time, ready to ride.”

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.