Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Ard Rock Advice
  • verbboy
    Free Member

Hi All

Anyone have any advice for the Ard Rock, entered 2 years ago and now it is happening and I don’t feel in the slightest bit ready – reasonably fit but not ridden any proper technical terrain in a few years!

How technical is it?

Are there water stops? I can’t see any info on the website.

Any tips / advice much appreciated 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s plenty water stops, technical? Where are you used to riding? I don’t think it’s particularly tech, but folks I’ve met have disagreed, all depends what you’re used to.

Brilliant riding, so envious.

richardkennerley

I’ve ridden the sport 3 times before, doing it again this time. I’m a strictly mediocre rider and I can make it round. I would say the riding isn’t exactly technical, but it is steep in places, and fast and rough. The most technical/worrying bit for me is the drop through the woods on stage one, it’s steep and rooty. Once you’ve got that first stage out of the way, if you’ve found it ok, you’ll be reet for the rest of it.

There’s always been a couple of opportunities to collect a fresh bottle of water and cereal bars on the way round, but I’ll be taking one on the bike and a spare in my bag just in case.

There’s a practice track I believe this year, hoping to give that a go on Saturday pm.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Water stop definately at bottom of stage 3, maxxis stage aka tyre shredder.
    That’s the one stage to take it easier and preserve your tyres.

There’s some good YouTube videos to give u an idea of tracks, stage one and two are quarries hillsides and end up in woods which can be quite dark on a sunny day in proper sunnies, all the others are open.

It’s all rollable, the quary sections can be a bit steep in places.
    Most accidents I saw were people stopping (non commitment) at the top of chutes in the quarry,

Can be a bit chilly at the top of stage 2 that is quite exposed to the wind/weather

mulv1976
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if any of the original stages from 2 years ago still exist as they were. When I visited up there after the floods, the damage was massive so it’s likely the trails have changed a fair bit since then.

bigfoot
    Free Member

like nobeer says depends what your used to, i ride mostly in the lakes and don’t think its at all technical, others do.
    the steeper bits are all easy to ride from what i remember as well, i don’t think there’s anything really steep apart from maybe a few straight chutes that don’t need you to do anything other than point the bike down them.

verbboy
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, didn’t fancy riding with a loaded pack of water on my back so thats good maybe a spare litre in the camel as an emergency.

I’ve mainly been riding the SDW but its fine I’m sure I’ll close my eyes, hopefully get a ride in Saturday too, 3 of us riding so I’m sure it will be fun regardless.

DrP

Most accidents I saw were people stopping (non commitment) at the top of chutes in the quarry,

Agreed… trying to grab a fistful of brake at the top of a roll in is recipie for a crash…
    Maintain stable speed, and let the bike do the work… you’ll be out the bottom before you know it.

DrP

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@mulv1976, thats true enough, the entrance to the wood on stage 2 was a big washed out hole..

just watching youtube, damn i forgot how peddly some sections are.

StuE
    Free Member

Heavy showers and windy on Saturday so you might want to take that into account when deciding what gear to take

ayjaydoubleyou

First timer here –
    1 – do you park next to your tent?

2 – is there food available for purchase?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@ayjaydoubleyou

1, yes, park alongside tent. assuming you’ve bought a camping ticket, last day to purchase one is wednesday
    2, yes, but long queues, the local pubs all do good pub meals.

scuttler

Note Covid requirements at https://ardrock.co.uk/covid-19-status/. Phone reception is patchy to non-existent so get your codes / status downloaded before you set off.

ayjaydoubleyou

More help needed – how do I find my eticket to print it? and camping ticket?

I’m a double rolled over 2019 entry.

Ive got a camping ticket email saying click this link… and the link doesnt work. The email has the order number, will this be OK

Old emails say you need to print your e-ticket, latest email says “To register to ride, all you need is is your photo ID and your race number.”
    Do I take the latest instruction and just bring my ID and know my number?

StuF

I was in the same situation – I emailed them and they sent me a new link to print my ticket

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

search your email dated 25/06/2021 the email title was ‘Ard Rock 21 update’
    that has a link to booking camping tickets, we all got refunded for the camping tickets bought in 2019..

for race tickets search for email containing ‘gigantic’ as any hyperlink will direct you to the current 2021 ticket, my racing tickets email is from 31/10/2018
    search
    ‘Your Ard Rock Enduro Festival Tickets’
    or try the postcode DL11 6AW

As you say you probably dont need the race ticket, but you’ll more than likely need the camping ticket to get on site.

fathomer

@ayjaydoubleyou the link for my race ticket didn’t work either and it wasn’t in my Gigantic account (the Mrs’ was in her account). I found mine by going on the Gigantic site, clicking the contact us link in the top right corner and filling in the order no. etc.

DrP

ooh..just realised I’m still down as a hardtail racer!!
    Emailed them to let them know I’m no longer hardcore…hope tehy can change my category..

DrP

earl_brutus

Anyone care to chip in on how strict are they going to be with photo id I’m a late name change substitute and missed the transfer window. Emailed without response. I can take photo ID but it won’t match the name on the ticket!

jamesoz

As for the op, I’d drink far too much beer, panic over tyre choice. Put a shorty on the rear and regret it for the whole day and have 4 pints at the pub stop.

I’m actually surprised there’s no what tyre thread given the weather forecast.

scuttler

‘What tyre?’ is the toughest one you have that’ll survive stage 3.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@jamesoz, what tyre, what tyre pressure? ive just got foam inserts so been running far far lower than the 30psi alot of peeps recommend for ardrock

jamesoz

I’ll have a Magic Mary supergravity on the front and a rock razor supergravity or wtb vigilante tough casing on the back. Basically because that’s what I have with decent sidewalls in the shed.

I’ve got some Wardens (mud spikes) that I picked up cheap but I’d really hope not to need them or camping will be quite unpleasant.

Tyre pressure will be whatever feels about right.

fathomer

Assegai up front, reasonably worn DHR2 out back, both exo+.

Looking forward to it, though slightly less with the forecast, just glad I’m not camping!

DrP

remind me…how much were Ard Rock tickets again…?

Looking at the weather report, I’m not feeling the love….

DrP

andybrad

wish i hadnt looked tbh

richardkennerley

Carol on the BBC said there’s a yellow weather warning for torrential rain and localised flooding on Friday, the organisers must be on edge about that!

goby

Oh no weather look bad?

DrP

DrP

timbog160

Forecast is shocking! Camping will be fun. I might skip practice and just sit in the van drinking beer 😀

timbog160

What will the camping field be like in terms of getting in and out? Do I need to pack the tow rope?

DrP

As long as you drive a Dutton, you’ll be fine..

DrP

teenrat

im really not feeling it. its just been a catalogue of things, most notably signing up for the epic, which was then moved to Friday and on the enduro course. ive been frantically trying to build a suitable bike out of parts and stock shortages and now the weather.

I’m in for £100 ( ticket and camping), had to take a day off work and am thinking of not bothering.

kiksy
    Free Member

I’m in for £100 ( ticket and camping), had to take a day off work and am thinking of not bothering.

Forecasts have been wildly off these last few weeks (at least where I live!).

andybrad

Reeth is its own microclimate. tbh all bets are off with the weather.

StuE
    Free Member

Latest Met office forecast doesn’t look too bad,Sunday probably best day of the weekend

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m not in for it this year. Did 3 years on the trot and its an epic day on the bike both physically and enjoyment wise. Might come out of mid-pack racing retirement and have another go next year… its just that it usually falls slap bang in the middle of when we’re usually planning to go on holiday.

Now I’m living closer, I need to get up there for some normal riding from the DBC.

marksnook
    Free Member

I put a dry ish weather tyre on so the rain is probably my fault..

timbog160

Me too! On the back at least – it is absolutely pelting down here in Hudds – we’re planning to leave at about 8. Packing 2 sets of waterproofs 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Ard Rock Advice’ is closed to new replies.