Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 276 total)
  • Ard Rock 2018
  • fathomer

Entries go live on the 2nd Nov at 6.30am so who’s planning on entering?

I did the full fat in 2015 before there was two events and fancy another go this year. Hopefully going to enter the Sunday Sport as I’m not quick enough for the main event and means not having to take a day off of work.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Quite fancy just doing the short sunday intro event. Wonder if all the events go live on 2nd nov….

fathomer

jaylittle – Member
    Wonder if all the events go live on 2nd nov….

According to their website they do.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Thats good then as dont think the intro will be too popular so should get a place easily enough. Missed this years as i was away but did ard moors (only just) and also took part in 2016/2015 ard rock. Looking forward to it!

russyh
    Free Member

None of my mates whom entered last year fancy it next year!! Strange..I’m contemplating doing it on my own….

lowey

Yep. I’ll be trying to get tickets to the Full Sunday.

Great event.

ton

I fancy the marathon……nice and steady day out.

tops5
    Free Member

None of my mates whom entered last year fancy it next year!! Strange..I’m contemplating doing it on my own….

Done it 3 times now, last 2 on my own as mates couldn’t get on the main race. Was fine on my own plenty of friendly people to chat to on the way round. Mates were back at the campsite for evening beers tho

russyh
    Free Member

Done it 3 times now, last 2 on my own as mates couldn’t get on the main race. Was fine on my own plenty of friendly people to chat to on the way round. Mates were back at the campsite for evening beers tho

Im not so worried about doing it on my tod to be fair. im sure i will bump into people i know or make some new acquaintances. Its more the evening thing to be honest. My mates just were not that fussed by the whole thing…I loved it. So they are not bothered on going through the whole entry, wait 10 months thing all over again. I will try and convince some others to come and give it a go.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I did the full fat in 2015 before there was two events and fancy another go this year. Hopefully going to enter the Sunday Sport as I’m not quick enough for the main event and means not having to take a day off of work.

Nonsense Sam, I overtook a load of folk on the saturday, despite being a distinctly average mid pack finisher. I’ll be there, considering entering botht he saturday and the sunday this year, as I love the riding there.

richardkennerley

Will hopefully get an entry for Sunday sport. Done that on me tod the last two years and it’s a great day out. I’m not competitive so not interested in entering the Saturday, which is a good job as I came a cropper on stage 3 this year which added a good 10 minutes to my time!!

dizcostix
    Free Member

I was interested until I saw they’ve whacked the price up again.

The marathon event actually looks more appealing – this would be my 3rd year and whilst I’m no racing god it was really frustrating getting held up by lots of people on the saturday enduro who were clearly out their depth last year.

Paying 72 quid and not having a good clear crack at the stages is too much.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve done the last 3 years but weirdly have no urge to do it next year. Think I might try and do a few of the pmbas as I took a break from them this year.

bigjim

Pricing is getting pretty spectacular

eddie11
    Free Member

72 quid 😯

Speaking as a big big fan of the event that’s just… I need a lie down

Wookster

I’m hoping to get a space on the sport on Sunday, but I guess it will be in the lap of he website gods!!

jaylittle
    Free Member

Very true about pricing. First year i did it camping was a flat rate of £5, now its £5 per night…. doesnt sound much but soon adds up.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Ive done it for the past 3 years but like others at £72 for the full event /sport i think this year might be weekend in the Lakes instead

survivor

Their taking the piss with that price….

I was thinking of entering this year ( haven’t been for a couple of years ) but no way am I going to encourage that pricing.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

going to give it a crack again this year – this time with mates….if we all get in. Was debating on doing a BPW wales instead, I think BPW might be more bang for your pounds. Two different styles however. I do like the atmosphere at Ardrock though. Just make the most of the free stuff! 😀

postierich
    Free Member

Wow £72 I paid for my entry last year by marshalling so looks like the plan this year hope I don’t have to start the Dad dancing this year 🙂

Great event if you make a weekend of it i.e. Thursday till the Monday 🙂

RicB

I’ve done it solo for the past few years and really enjoyed it but like DaveyBoyWonder I’m oddly not that fussed for next year. Putting the main event on the Sat was annoying because too many riders who should have been riding Sunday entered for the Sat event so they could stay over and enjoy the festivities.

£72 is a bit daft and opens the door for some competition imo but then it’s all supply and demand isn’t it – this year’s event sold out in <5 mins.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure they could put it to £100 and still sell out, it’s so popular. I don’t grudge the money, the riding is so different to anything else I normally do, the atmosphere is brilliant and the work they do getting access through over a dozen different landowners mean I can’t ride there any other time of the year.

RicB, closer to 30secs than 5 mins.

simon80
    Free Member

I think it was 4 seconds 😯

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Me and a couple of others are planning on doing the sport on the Sunday, mostly as a goal of something to get fit for.

Hopefully we can get spaces, can you book multiple people in at once? Would rather not get a ticket and find I’m doing it on my own!

dizcostix
    Free Member

2016 enduro = £58
    2017 enduro = £62
    2018 enduro = £71.40

It’s just turning into a money making exercise now and they’ve been pretty lucky with the weather. Fingers crossed for the entrants that they don’t get an “ard moors 2017” style washout

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

one_happy_hippy – Member
    Me and a couple of others are planning on doing the sport on the Sunday, mostly as a goal of something to get fit for.

Hopefully we can get spaces, can you book multiple people in at once? Would rather not get a ticket and find I’m doing it on my own!

We don’t talk about that. It upsets [some] people.

It’s just turning into a money making exercise now

Heaven forbid people wanting to make money.

fathomer

Didn’t realise it’d gone up that much, think it was less than £55 in 2015. I’m also going to be in the hands of the Spanish Internet providers so will see what happens!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

For me its not about the money. The riding is absolutely amazing. I think I’d rather just have a day out somewhere quiet riding awesome trails for free.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

To be honest the price doesn’t seem excessive when you compare it to a Pearce or BDS (rip) race or even when you consider you pay £30-35 for and uplift, ok you get the uplift but at most places minimal other facilities or marshalling / organisation etc.

What’s the scandal with entering multiple riders? We are planing for several of us to use it as a fitness goal so it doesn’t make sense if only one of us will end up getting a place!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What’s the scandal with entering multiple riders?

My gripe with it is that if I make the effort to get up and be ready for the big scramble at 0630, and don’t get in (due to internet speed probably, it’s sold out that quick) then I’m a bit miffed at someone lying in their scratcher and their mate doing it for them.

But, as I said last year, there’s no one system that suits all, it is what it is.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Done it every year, but having a break. 82 (inc camping) isn’t taking the piss and im sure they will sell out but just fancy spending my money elsewhere.

whitestone
    Free Member

Things selling out really quickly does appear to be a problem. It’s not just mountain biking, online entry for popular fell races is also pretty quick.

Not having entered is it simply first come, first served? If so then they could go along the lines of the Three Peaks where a certain proportion of entries are reserved for women, first timers, etc. and leave the entry process open for a week, the names go in a ballot then chosen at random. Cash is only taken at that point. It’s more work but possibly fairer and might stop the “I’ll enter just in case I want to do it” types who then never turn up.

RicB

I wonder if the landowners have also seen the huge success and popularity, and fancy making a tad more money (not unreasonable), which means the setup costs passed to Stu are higher each year too.

If you can make the full weekend £72 is fine but in my case it’s a case of paying £72 to turn up, ride my bike on some normally closed trails and then go home same-day.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

bit miffed at someone lying in their scratcher and their mate doing it for them.

If it makes you feel better last year 6 of us tried, one of us managed but we were all up making the effort.

andybrad

bloody hell thats pricy.

Ill be trying this year. Had an awsome time last year with some amazing people. Going to take the wife and child this year for her wedding anniversary pressie 🙂 although not sure how thats going to pan out as she doesnt like bikes.

Wookster

Sold out in 30 secs NoBeer!?!

Blimey!!!! 😯

dizcostix
    Free Member

Dangeourbrain – I’m not against the organisers making money, but they’re creaming off another £9400 off the saturday enduro riders alone (1000 entries) and going off this years event, not putting enough money back in on facilities.

Ie. they knew the weather was going to be wet at Ard rock but there were minimal showers and the showers that weren’t broken down had run out of water.

The extra 4 quid i paid between 2016 and 2017 got an extra 6th stage – whats the extra 10 quid for 2018 going to produce?

andybrad

hopefully working showers.

more toilets etc

ehrob

Only thing that seems to go up in price faster than Glastonbury tickets.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 276 total)

The topic ‘Ard Rock 2018’ is closed to new replies.