Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Architectual abandoned gems- Manchester (urban investigation content)
  • hora
    Free Member

Mayfield train station in the centre of Manchester, last used 1960. WTF?!
    (Although it has been used for filming etc since).

Any others Ive missed? Wonder if its time to start urban investigation….

binners

Go and see this

http://www.urbis.org.uk/page.asp?id=3282

There’s underground canals, tunnel systems, allsorts. Its amazing

hora
    Free Member

Yes please. Fancy a beer-tour? I fancy breaking (cough) having alook at the old firestation

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’ve got that underground manchester book at mine too.
    but i think it’s steph’s, so i can’t really loan it out.

hora
    Free Member

Last week I went into the Rylands Library- amazing that its only 110yrs old yet so intricately made.

IHN

Gorton Monastery

World heritage site. And not only because Ol’ Ma and Pa IHN got married there.

hot_fiat

Mayfiled’s been on the most of the urbex forums for a while. There’s a reasonably good report about it here:

28DaysLater

Harry_the_Spider

Chethams Library is amazing too. My missus used to work there. She’s at Rylands now.

My gran used to work in what is now the Habitat building near St Anne’s Square. During The Blitz a bomb went through the roof and down the lift shaft. It didn’t go off but the rush of air blew paperwork etc out into the street. She had to help pick it all up.

Harry_the_Spider

Brief hyjack. Best old pub in Manchester and should we have a Friday night drink in it?

Now back to the OP.

hora
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for that Harry the spider- I’ll think of that the next time I’m in there 🙂 (post in a non-sarcastic way as its always nice to know snippets like that which will be lost in time one day)..

Pub? Give us some more info- general area, girls present, do you like gritty, etc? There are too many to list otherwise!

hora
    Free Member

I always remember riding down the back of Tottenham Court Road to work (Habitat funnily enough) and looking at the bomb-scarred old Georgian buildings on either side (holes in carved stone filled in but you could see the arc of the blasts)

Harry_the_Spider

Blokes night out (Up for it terrahawk?).

Anywhere within the inner ring road.

Will need a couple of weeks to get the paperwork stamped etc.

hora
    Free Member

I think there is an Ale tour – Mark (hinde) has it stuck to his Fridge but it includes The Britons Protection, That green ceramic covered pub round the corner?

Harry_the_Spider

The Peveril of the Peak?

terrahawk
    Free Member

As long as we go to The Rising Sun I’m not arsed!

Harry_the_Spider

The Rising Sun is great. Like Jack and Vera’s front room with a bar in it!

terrahawk
    Free Member

exactly.

The Nag’s Head is good too.

hora
    Free Member

The Peveril of the Peak? Yes, GF hates it but hey ho 🙄

The Rising Sun has a beer garden on top? Been there and like it as well. There is a real gem that I introduced Binners to in the Northern Quarter- vinyl seats, thick pile carpets etc….

Harry_the_Spider

That (Nag’s Head) is owned by Mr Millions Rustage. He spends the night collecting glasses with his chauffeur driven Roller outside. I see him in Tesco every now and again. He is bright orange.

Harry_the_Spider

The Rising Sun is between Lloyd Street (De Villes anyone?) and Lincoln Square. It’s about 10 feet wide. No roof terrace.

Russell96

Nuclear Bomb Shelter 200ft underneath central Manchester.

hora
    Free Member

Ah HTS, its one road over that has the roof terrace- same thick pile carpet. Is Rising Sun on the same road as Evans Cycles? If so the one I mean is one road along- same road as Cafe Nero on the corner.

chandd_t9

If you want to loose a few days browsing an internet forum related to urban exploration etc, try this:

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/

Some really good photos on there and some brave/nutter posters too when you consider what they get upto.
    I never cease to be amazed at what is all around you in the middle of Manchester that only a handful of people know about. This is what the internet was invented for! There’s a lot of stuff on there about the nuclear bunker and you can find where the entrances are.

marsdenman
    Free Member

The Marble – bottom end of Rochdale Road is a micro brewery, The Circus – smallest bar in England? (other side of the road to Yates’) there’s another real ale spot bottom end of Oldham Road on the corner with Great Ancoats St and another across the road on Oldham St. Can’t recall the names but pretty sure Mrs MM could – she’s out though….

edit – also – The Vine Inn and City Arms – both on Kennedy St – both places to go for the beer as opposed to the decor…..
    Gotta laugh – i’m a lager drinker but have done the city centre trail more than once with ale drinking buddies….

hora
    Free Member

Just up from the The Peveril of the Peak and is that ex public toilet that stands in the middle of the road- whats it called?

28days later? WOW time to start exploring (read being a nosey fecker) 😆

Ps. Anyone fancy the I BIKE MCR critical mass this Friday at 6pm outside the central Library? NO I own a AWD petrol car and I will be keeping that quiet whilst chatting to stunning Veggie lasses 😉

xherbivorex
    Free Member

hora, i’m still undecided about CM. i already know loads of people that go. and none of them could be described as “stunning”!

Stu

The Jolly Angler, Ducie St., not quite abandoned (but close) or particularly architectual but certainly a gem!

marsdenman
    Free Member

The one on Oldham St is The Castle, a scruffy spot but, i’m told, good ales….

terrahawk
    Free Member

theres nowt but a load of shite on that website

hora, after your exploring, let us know how you got on 😉

sam42
    Free Member

i was gonna say check out 28dl, couple of me mates from uni are into the urbex scenario, surfing turds in the sewers of manchester (amongst others)
    checkout me mate’s blog- http://onetwotwofour.blogspot.com/
    in other news anyone see the crane that fell over in town today on oxford road where spar used to be opposite the bbc? class!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

That looks fantastic, that old station. I love stuff like that. Reminds me of wandering around Tower House in Whitechapel. A former ‘doss house’ for the very poor, it has now sadly been converted into posh flats. Sacrilege, speshly considering the number of homeless people in the Capital. George Orwell, who lived here for a time, must surely be turning in his grave.

An eerie, desolate place, that was inhabited only by rats and junkies. A mate and I went in, to take pics, and startled a few zombie-like souls. A really sobering experience. There was a teenage girl, with a baby, living amongst all the filth and needles etc.

I remember playing around the old abandoned Docks, before Canary Wharf went up. Of course, we din’t tell our parents! It weren’t that dangerous really, there was only the occasional horrific death of some kid who’d become impaled on a rusty spike or something.

See, youse Northerners have a lot more of that sort of stuff, as every spare bit of land, or derelict building quickly gets developed, down here.

I might have to make a trip oop North, one of these days…

joe1983
    Free Member

Don’t worry Rudeboy, we’ve got plenty of rusty spikes for you to impale yourself on!

samuri
    Free Member

There’s the old swimming pool which is a bit of a way out, down hathersage road I think.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

and if you dont find the rusty spike,

then we have a softspot for Southeners….

the quicksands at Morcombe bay 😆

ourmaninthenorth

Just up from the The Peveril of the Peak and is that ex public toilet that stands in the middle of the road- whats it called?

The Temple (of convenience).

I work half way bewteen the Britons and the Pev’, and have the Temple only a cockstride away.

samuri
    Free Member

I like the photographers style on the urbis site. Fairly inspirational.

Harry_the_Spider

Are we having a Manc’s night out then?

More on Mayfield… It may become Manchester’s EuroStar terminal!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Mayfield_railway_station

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Architectual abandoned gems- Manchester (urban investigation content)’ is closed to new replies.