Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 189 total)
  • Archie Battersbee
  • Premier Icon oldenough
    Free Member

wow, just wow. I’ve done the same

Ditto, I really hope the mum just goes into the sunset and grieves for her son in private. If a fraction of the stuff is true She’ll be ripped apart.

Premier Icon theotherjonv

I just read the second judgement about the decision or not to move to a hospice before treatment is withdrawn.

I don’t really understand if I’m honest; but I’m not a spiritual person as they (at least claim) they are. The judgement is about his best interests but – and not meaning to be harsh – he’s now a collection of largely inanimate but decaying cells being animated by machines. If he were to die in transport, as is their wish is that really materially much worse than in hospital? He won’t feel it, at least by my understanding any more so than in hospital, or about an hour after reaching a hospice? Sure there’s a cost but I don’t really get what the real risk is on the risk-benefit equation. Are the NHS Trust being a bit stubborn here?

Also again angered that the ‘expert’ they brought in to support their request seems to have had about 12 hours notice to assimilate all the past months of expert guidance and reports, has not actually visited Archie, and has not worked in Paediatric ICU settings for nigh on 15 years. In what sense is this helping at all, other than dragging out the inevitable, wasting court and medical staff’s time attending yet another hearing, and so on.

Lastly – shit situation as of course it is, if the family and their odious lawyers / backers hadn’t delayed this massively, could Archie’s organs have saved several other lives and some good have come out of this tragedy?

Premier Icon imnotverygood

I think the trust have to abide by a clinical, legalistic definition of the child’s best interests. I also think they & the courts have said ‘enough is a enough’ & are unwilling to pander to this woman’s attention seeking behaviour.
    He’s dead. Taking an animated corpse to a hospice is pointless.

Premier Icon Sandwich

The judgement is about his best interests but – and not meaning to be harsh – he’s now a collection of largely inanimate but decaying cells being animated by machines. If he were to die in transport, as is their wish is that really materially much worse than in hospital? He won’t feel it, at least by my understanding any more so than in hospital, or about an hour after reaching a hospice? Sure there’s a cost but I don’t really get what the real risk is on the risk-benefit equation. Are the NHS Trust being a bit stubborn here?

The Trust is being compassionate as having Archie’s shell die not he way to the ambulance/hospice is not in the parents best interests, also denies the chance of another vexing case where they seek compensation for death between hospital and hospice beds.

Premier Icon stumpyjon

I’m not a spiritual person as they (at least claim) they are.

They are not, they were all baptised when the CLC got involved. I doubt her previous choice of employment is very compatible with her sudden Christian faith, I don’t judge her for that but her behaviour during this period us awful. Be interesting to know where the £45k Just Giving money ends up, looks like a holiday to Thailand is being planned.

Premier Icon longdog
    Free Member

Just in the news. He passed at 12.15 today after life support was withdrawn at 10am.

Just been announced he died at 1215.

Sad for the loss of anyone’s child or loved one, but happy this bit at least is over with.

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Poor bugger. Glad this stage of it has ended.

Premier Icon northshoreniall

@theotherjonv regarding transfer, given he has been dead since April and is likely to be on bucketloads of meds amd infusion it is highly probable he would not have even made it down the corridor to the ambulance bay. Transferring onto portable ventilation can be a tense affair even for much less unwell patients. Portable vents are great, but no match for unit ones. The hospital is likely still trying act in his best interests and stop poor child dieing in the lift/ carpark.
    And yes, if done at time of diagnosed brain stem death probably could have donated organs, recall some mention in the judgement of family taking offence at it being raised – it is standard practice.
    Edit – just read headlines, it irks me – there is no such thing as ‘life support ‘ he was ventilated, possibly on renal replacement therapy and meds for blood pressure etc. There is no turning off life support.

Premier Icon longdog
    Free Member

Well ‘life support’ is what is commonly referred to even if technically wrong.

I had the situation where we were told they were prolonging death, not life with my Dad and they were going to remove ‘life support’, turn off all the alarms, but keep him sedated and pain free. As a family we were very relieved to not have that decision to make and we understood what they meant. It was nearly 24 hours before he finally passed 😢

Another question (thought really)

I know medics will do their best to save life wherever they can (and discounting eg: DNR requests and so on) and trauma / A&E docs will have to make decisions to continue treatment or not probably every day.

He was, as I understand it from the judgement linked previously, without oxygen for prolonged periods after his [accident] and needed CPR and cardiac care and whatever else even to get to the supported coma state that he was in ever since.

I suspect the medics would pretty well have known that was that at the time.

If they’d called it off that day, the parents don’t have the luxury of demanding care is prolonged, and taking it to courts and appeals and ECHR and…….it’s the decision of the medical staff there and then. Does all this sort of stuff ^ and the subsequent shit they’ve been dragged into make them less likely to continue treatment in these sorts of cases?

Premier Icon zippykona

I had the situation where we were told they were prolonging death, not life with my Dad and they were going to remove ‘life support’, turn off all the alarms, but keep him sedated and pain free. As a family we were very relieved to not have that decision to make and we understood what they meant. It was nearly 24 hours before he finally passed 😢

My dad took 5 days to pass away. I was with him when he breathed in and never breathed out.

Premier Icon Flaperon

I don’t really understand if I’m honest; but I’m not a spiritual person as they (at least claim) they are. The judgement is about his best interests but – and not meaning to be harsh – he’s now a collection of largely inanimate but decaying cells being animated by machines. If he were to die in transport, as is their wish is that really materially much worse than in hospital? He won’t feel it, at least by my understanding any more so than in hospital, or about an hour after reaching a hospice? Sure there’s a cost but I don’t really get what the real risk is on the risk-benefit equation. Are the NHS Trust being a bit stubborn here?

It’s hardly in the best interest of every other child in the ICU to take half the equipment and multiple nurses out of the place to travel in an ambulance to a hospice, where they’ll set everything up again before formally “unplugging” it.

Oh yeah, and should he have died in the ambulance the family would no doubt have blamed the nurses and tried to sue them for malpractice.

Premier Icon Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Hollie said: “All I have ever asked is to get him to six months – where is the harm in that for them?

“They have spent a fortune on legal fees fighting me in court – money they could have spent on Archie’s care and others’.

Why on earth was she trying to drag this thing out for 6 months?

RIP…

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Check out kiwifarms

Premier Icon salad_dodger

She could grift a lot more money in six months.

Premier Icon piemonster

kiwifarms

Well, thats a very particular corner of the internet

Premier Icon TiRed

My dad took 5 days to pass away. I was with him when he breathed in and never breathed out.

My sister was about 8 hours. They needed the ITU bed urgently and we weren’t going to stand in their way. She was dead with MRIs to show. They kindly moved her to a quiet room. Brought us cups of tea throughout the night. Then when she breather her last I went out into the brightest of sunny mornings.

Premier Icon Rockhopper
    Free Member

So if even a small amount of what available on the internet about Archie’s mother is true does anyone expect further Police involvement in this? I’ve got my own idea of what happened and it’s nothing to do with TikTok.

Premier Icon dyna-ti

A word on this subject. This was conveyed to me by one of the nurses not long after my dad passed.

Never upon realizing the loved one has died say something like, ‘well thats it, or he/she’s dead now.’

The brain is still working and can still hear, and upon hearing such things the person can become very frightened. Just say something like. You have a sleep now and we’ll go get coffee/tea or such.

Premier Icon northshoreniall

I’m sorry, what now? Either a person is dead or not dead, quite binary.
    In many years of being in these situations in previous roles, patients were spoken to compassionately and in caring manner out of respect for them and their family but to say the dead can get frightened is a stretch.
    Even when laying out a person I, and colleagues, continued to talk to them and explained what we were doing such as turning or washing, but never once in case they were frightened.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Oh yeah, and should he have died in the ambulance the family would no doubt have blamed the nurses and tried to sue them for malpractice.

Surprisingly difficult to sue front line emergency care staff as I understand it, in a similar way that no one has successfully sued someone in the UK who has attempted first aid – it’s regarded as not being in the public interest.

Premier Icon pk13

Jesus wept there is a storm of publicly coming that family’s way if any of that info on that site is correct.
    Poor kid.
    It’s not something I’ve taken an interest in tbf as it should be a private affair for the family and doctors.

<div class=”bbcode-quote”>

kiwifarms

</div>
    Well, thats a very particular corner of the internet

Wow, What a horrible place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi_Farms

Premier Icon frankconway

Now, disappointingly but predictably, the ‘family’ are demabding a public enquiry.
    When will they accept it’s time to shut up?
    Christian Concern (if only that name was appropriate) have much responsibility but they see themselves as would be saviours, thwarted by…well, everyone other than the parents.
    If only some of the allegations about the mother are true she’s likekly to have her name comprehensively shredded when the print media turn their focus onto her.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

A quick Google on the mother threw up nothing obvious and a quick look at Kiwi Farm made me decide I didn’t want to know anyway 🙈

Premier Icon pondo

… she’s likekly to have her name comprehensively shredded when the print media turn their focus onto her.

I fear it’s more likely they’ll join in the anti-NHS witch-hunt.

Premier Icon Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

A quick Google on the mother threw up nothing obvious

Searching for the name/s she used, prior to changing it, might help.  If correct, she’s already made the tabloids/local press but this was almost 2 decades ago.

Odd, that the press are holding back on this.  Maybe they’re going to let them get the funeral out the way first?

Premier Icon chrismac

I really hope this family and the so called charity more shut up and try and grieve with some dignity

Premier Icon argee

Odd, that the press are holding back on this. Maybe they’re going to let them get the funeral out the way first?

As stated earlier, build em up, knock em down, that’s the tabloid approach, i’d say we’ve got the funeral, then a week or two of grace and then they’ll move into the next cycle and rip into her and the dad.

Premier Icon super_12
    Free Member

I fear it’s more likely they’ll join in the anti-NHS witch-hunt.

The parents in this case do seem like ideal spokespeople for Brexit Britain.

the ‘family’ are demabding a public enquiry.

I assume that as there’s been an ‘unexplained’ death there will be a coroners inquest, which will be interesting for the Tiktok or other point.

As for an enquiry – into what? How to avoid wasting piles of taxpayers’ cash delaying the inevitable?

Premier Icon mashr

As for an enquiry – into what?

Not a clue, the comments from the family are as vague as they’ve been throughout. Apparently “their rights have been stripped away”

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl

The parents in this case do seem like ideal spokespeople for Brexit Britain.

Eh?

Premier Icon pondo

Eh?

I think it’s the sense of outrage they’re expressing that the NHS couldn’t fix their son no matter how angry or litigious they got, therefore there must be an enquiry into the NHS.

Premier Icon unfitgeezer
    Free Member

You guys need to take a look at yourselves !

Her son has literally just technically died and you’re all gossiping about her past accusing her of milking the system etc etc

I take it not one of you has lost a child ?

If all you have is hope you’d try anything to save your child.

She’s grieving…

Premier Icon pondo

He technically died about four months ago – there was long ago zero hope of maintaining independant life, let alone any kind of recovery.

The rest is grift.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl

I think it’s the sense of outrage they’re expressing that the NHS couldn’t fix their son no matter how angry or litigious they got, therefore there must be an enquiry into the NHS.

Quite a good piece in today’s Sunday Times by Rod Liddle who isn’t someone I’d usually pay any attention to. There does need to be a discussion about these unfortunate situations (for want of a better word) involving children.

Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

Yeah I’m struggling to see the relevance of whether she was a stripper or not tbf

You guys need to take a look at yourselves !

Her son has literally just technically died and you’re all gossiping about her past accusing her of milking the system etc etc

I take it not one of you has lost a child ?

If all you have is hope you’d try anything to save your child.

She’s grieving…

I started from a position of sympathy for all but to be honest, following some of the detail and knowing a bit more of the (relevant) past – ie: what has happened between his accident and yesterday, not what former career she may have had – I’m still sympathetic for the loss of a loved one but I’m also very saddened by what has transpired.

It’s too soon, but you don’t automatically get a free pass because your son died, you are still responsible for your actions, which might have been raw initially but this has been four months.

And again, an absolute curse on the lawyers and CLC who I think have a responsibility to advise their client way better than they have instead of pushing their own agendas.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 189 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.