Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • arborists ..Will It die?
  • jag61

new site starting up there is an ash tree that will need cutting back to put steel frame up also will be digging foundations within 2 m of tree. how soon will it die and become unstable?? (been quoted about £1250 to cut down to 1.5m) Thanks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How big is it and where are you?.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I wouldn’t risk cutting roots that close. Best off changing foundation design or removing tree.

Or you could hire a man with a compressed air lance to excavate to about a metre to check. But that might not be feasible with soil conditions etc.

(I’m a Chartered Arboriculturist so feel free to ignore me 😆 )

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunnng! Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunn...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jag61

nobeer; tree in grimsby and is prob about 8 m high 500mm diam.
    theboyneeds; tree is outside boundary fence not sure of owner, cant change design, its got to go!! if so do roots need grubbing out within 2 m of founds? its a PITA nobody doing anything about it. Thanks for replies

swillybey
    Free Member

Clayey soil?

jag61

yes clayey/silty/peaty may need to add polystyrene to founds still short of real info from engs

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Drill cores, pour in diesel, when it’s dead clear the site as it’s a hazard 😆 Old skool firm but fair way.

cleetonator

What ‘theboyneeds’ says.

You’ll also be liable for damages if the works you undertake cause its demise…

(Nearly Chartered Arboriculturist, so more likely to be ignored)

timber

It’s not yours?
    An 8m tree would be relatively young, so would probably last, unless it is a pollard, which a 0.5m dia. suggests. This dia. is normally a 16-20m tree. Too many variables without seeing it, but assuming it is a healthy tree, you would be responsible for any detrimental effects.

If you have permission to fell, someone from a forestry background will probably be a lot cheaper. Cleared something similar recently, about 30min from standing to loaded in the trailer with brash piled for habitat (or burning if you wanted).

infidel
    Free Member

Timber – do you ever come up Brum way? Sounds like you know your trees and I’ve an oak which is causing me a headache. Tree surgeon says as it’s a ‘poor specimen’ field oak it’ll not take pollarding well but it’s blocking light +++

tjagain

Don’t kill the tree if it is not yours. Don’t even damage it — you could be in real trouble. Local chap did this – cost him thousands to replace with mature trees

jag61

thanks all , dont worry tj i wont be doing anything serious to it until owner gives permission… possibly highways england! as next to trunk road could be in for a long wait

timber

Highways, you’ll never get a response, they’ll just turn up one day and reduce it to a pile of chip.

Infidel – not really, but second and third opinions would be worthwhile. We use 3 different arb companies as they are not all equal, one we favour for keeping stiff standing and healthy, another for quick short jobs and another for stiff that needs traffic control. Generally wouldn’t use whoever has the main powerline contact.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘arborists ..Will It die?’ is closed to new replies.