Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • apps for tracking me on solo night rides
  • StirlingCrispin

Thump and I share locations on Google Maps.
    Had a few occasions where I’ve had to go rescue him (stripped cranks, exploded backwheel, the usual stuff).
    His description of where he is can be a bit vague – “sorry, which steep steps are you on?”

Over the years there have been “missing” bikers in the local woods.

One knocked himself out and was curled up and going to sleep when found by mountain rescue.
    The finder had spotted his flashing rear light.
    The mountain rescue team had also started searching an area of hillside that is rarely frequented.
    Obviously a route description could have prevented this, but so could using Google Map Location share.
    We have now provided MRT with a map providing trail names. Not everyone knows where “Long Ball Hans” is.

Other friends have concussed themselves, wandered around lost, dazed and confused, and then finally made their way home. They lived but needed new helmets.

DickBarton

@Fat-boy-fat

I’ve a Garmin InReach – I did a First Aid + forestry course for trailbuilding work I do – we aren’t far from roads, but we do have patchy signal in places where we are working. Some cases there are only 2 of us and I figured if that was the case and an accident were to happen then a satellite link would be better than potentially leaving the casualty to find a signal.

I also take it along on any group rides with younger riders – I’m also working on my Mountain Bike Leadership Level 2 qualification so include it as part of my kit I carry.

I’ve paid the monthly subscription but having had it now for about 10 months, I’ve never had to use it (which is a good thing), so I’m in a bit of a dilemma as to carry on the monthly subscription and switch to ‘pay-as-you-go’. The issue I’ve got is if I don’t just pay for it automatically then I’ll forget to pay for it and then suspect I’d need to use it in an emergency.

Stupidly, when I’m out riding on my own, I don’t bother with it, but I probably should start taking it with me.

It is a very good idea and a very useful tool (if it is needed) but it isn’t cheap, so still not something everything should be carrying (as it is cost-prohibitve in a lot of cases), but it can be incredibly useful, so if you are out and about on your own or in remote locations with poor phone signal then it can be a very valuable tool.

Fat-boy-fat

Cheers for that. Kind of where my head is at  but with the pay and go option.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Stupidly, when I’m out riding on my own, I don’t bother with it, but I probably should start taking it with me.

Utterly bizarre. You take it when youre in a group, but not when alone!

DickBarton

Yeah, I know…and each time I go out and get back, I realise I’ve left it…I need to make sure it gets moved from the big bag to the bumbag so it is then with me on solo stuff. Aware it is daft/stupid but just something I’ve managed to not think about, but I’ll get that changed so it is being carried.

z1ppy

hardtailonly
    I use Strava Beacon, but think this is only for premium, ie paid up members?

No, it’s free for everyone, & very simple to use once enabled. An option to txt your contact pops up automatically when you start a new ride in strava & the message links direct to a live feed of your route, no logging in required. It has the added benefit that they see the whole route & not just a blip in the middle of a map. I use it as well as track my iPhone, as you can never be too safe

ampthill

As far as I can see the best free option is Strava. I think seeing where you’ve been before you went out of range is way more information than last known location. In particularly knowing which way you were travelling at that location.

We stabs beacon loads. My wife says it’s handy for deciding whether it’s worth hanging on for me to be back for lunch or just make a sandwich. The only weakness seems to be you have to have signal when you start the process.

robertajobb

The Specialized ‘Ride’ app gives tracking – it sends your chosen contacts a msge when you start Nd finish, inc. A link to a map with a bread crumb trail of your location. Assuming there’s a mobile signal and your phone has gps (which anything half modern does). If no signal then they’ll see your last known location.

I have the ‘angi’ impact detector (abiut £40 if bought as an add on) on my (road) helmet which will additionally send a crash alert to your chosen contacts. Again relies on a phone signal to he able to. The angi is basically an accelerometer which bluetooth connects to the phone. The phone does the alerting.
    Defo thought a good idea at the start of the 1st 2020 government imposed national house arrest, for when out riding on my own in the Peaks.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.