Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • applying for your own job
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

Its shit isn’t it. Me and 2 colleagues at the same level, going to be in competition for…not sure …but won’t be 3 new jobs. Boss is trying to grow the team…well he’s about to lose at least one and maybe all 3 of his senior staff as a result of this trick.

701arvn
    Free Member

How does this work – is it redundancy if you don’t if you don’t get the job?

Seems a liitle odd, I have heard of this before but never been able to work out what the point is. Surely he (the boss), already knows who he wants to make redundant, why risk the people he wants keep getting irate and activly seeking a role elsewhere?

fossy

My managers did it to my group of colleagues – there were 7 jobs, and only 4 of us at the time (3 folk had left).

They decided there was a new job description. We looked at it and already did 95% of the JD. We all started looking for jobs. Anyway, we stood up to the managers and HR. They decided we were correct, so all got the ‘job’ with a slight pay rise, and get this, they decided we all needed an ‘assistant’, so roll on a few months and we are recruiting them. Madness.

neilnevill
    Free Member

This shit is as much driven by the union as HR and my boss.

civil service. in a department that has combined 2 traditional grades (6 and 7) to a single ‘band A’ a decade ago and now realised that is a bad idea so its ‘regrading’ jobs to 6 and 7 again. 3 of us, all very experienced, well up the pay band/were grade 6 (the higher) in previous jobs in previous departments. Boss decides to restructure the wider team too as part of this…shed the lower grade staff and instead replace with more than 3 of the grade 6 and 7….only there won’t be 3 at grade 6. So one or more of us…
    official line, its a ‘regrade’ its not demotion. **** off it is.

I see the swear filter missed shit in my first post…I’ll self delete the really naughty word i just used, just in case.

Cougar

“shit” is fine.

In my experience, this is usually an exercise in getting rid of dead wood. Are you dead wood? You’ll be golden if not. Valuable staff in this situation get relocated rather than turfed out.

In any case, it’s usually a sign to start job-hunting.

NZCol

Had it once, waited until day of interview to leave as they had by executing the change given me notice on my role, so I got a new job and walked out with no notice. As did the other 3 in role. Wasn’t what they had expected.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s the standard way of getting rid of people in the public sector: restructure the team so the roles are sufficiently different to require a job application. Then miraculously, the unwanted individual finds that they didn’t pass the interview.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Did it just before Xmas last year.

I was last man in >1month in position…..8years continuous service and the only one with the job title proposed on the new structure so thought I was safe.

Didn’t get through as they thought my skill set was better suited to the field.

Had a shit fit when I said two things. 1 I’m.not applying for a field role so redundancy thanks.
    2. You do realise that you have not made my position redundant by handing out 6jobs with my job title…..after they had sent out the org structure with the job titles and all that out so that they couldn’t just issue new titles to the others.

Suddenly they found me my old job .

3 other folk walked away

wrightyson
    Free Member

Due in part to David Attenborough my mate has had to do this several times of late at one of the big bottled water companies.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Dead wood, no I’m not, I’ve built a large chunk of this team, first guy my boss turns too for a lot including interviewing for other posts at my grade, so he trusts me to build his senior team. My two colleagues aren’t either, we are actually a bloody good team. We will all be out the door to other jobs and our boss hasn’t woken up to that. Moody annoyingly though I would not be choosing to check jobs now… Stuff outside work had really hit the proverbial and I’m very stressed very very stressed. There’s never a good time for enforced job changes, but this really isn’t a good time. Oh well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘applying for your own job’ is closed to new replies.