Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • applying for an International driving permit while abroad… can it be done?
  • captain_bastard
    Free Member

… Because i’m in Korea, and i need one to be able to rent a car, but according to the Post Office (who appear to be the holders of these things), I can only apply in person

which makes things a little difficult!

And i thought, who, if anyone would know about such things… the wise ones of STW!

mysterymove
    Free Member

Try the AA or RAC – I applied for one from China on-line and it all worked out – had to get ti delivered to a UK address though & the forward on to China

https://www.rac.co.uk/pdfs/driving-abroad/idp-form

hugo
    Free Member

I’ve done it from abroad via the AA.

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp

IOften not actually asked for in the country of interest. UK driving licenses go down well around the world.

hugo
    Free Member

Use the apply by post option BTW. No need to send original documents and sensible international postage costs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah I’d be calling the company direct and telling them what you have first. Most will have a section in the T&C’s about what is required/accepted

antigee

Not done this but might be worth a punt if stuck…usual wording seems to be something like International Driving licence or a translation of your license ….so present UK licence and have a scruffy piece of paper with key words translated on it in your pocket and produce if license gets queried like all hire car very much depends who you get ….

krixmeister

Also FWIW – I managed to rent cars a couple of times when living in Seoul. That was about 13 years ago, and was on my USA license mind you. You might double-check with the car rental agency whether they really _need_ an international license.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

You’ve got some good answers but, as someone who’s been an ex pat for a long time, I’ve got to point out that it’s usually easier to get a licence for the country you’re living in. Korea (at a glance) seems the same.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘applying for an International driving permit while abroad… can it be done?’ is closed to new replies.