Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Applying for a job within your existing team- what's the deal?
  • Northwind

New one for me this, it’s probably all obvious but wondered if anyone has any useful input…

There’s a more senior position coming up within my team, for maternity cover (probably secondment). I’m a pretty good fit for it I think and it’s a direction I want to go in so it’s a good move regardless of the impermanence… Even if it means resigning my permanent post, it’s a right move though

So, I figure I speak to my boss before the ad goes out just so he knows, and so that he knows it’s not a spur of the moment thing… He won’t be surprised though. And I chat to the rest of the team to get input and advice, try and find out about any problems before the interview… Basically try and get unfair advantages 😆 Anything else? Or anything I shouldn’t do? Probably shouldn’t lie on the application!

I’m usually good about interviews but I’m randomly nervous and unconfident about this 😆 At the end of the day they might find a more qualified person, I’m in a related role but there’ll be a bit of reskilling involved, so it won’t be a disaster if it doesn’t work out, might be awkward mind…

annebr
    Free Member

I’d speak to your boss first. See if they just want another team member to step in for a while or whether they are already thinking of getting new blood in.

annebr
    Free Member

Here maternity cover has always be appointed to someone and then their lower job filled by a temp.

Never been advertised or interviews for the maternity cover.

towzer

“Even if it means resigning my permanent post,”
    ? to take a temp position ?? – so a fixed term contract ?

? – I know nothing about your job/package/circumstances – but – what about pension/redundancy ‘safety’ accrued/holiday additions accrued/sickness … overtime … you might want to check stuff like that out and understand it all so you can do a real comparison

also what are the implications when the temp position ends…

see annebr comments as well

Northwind

It’s definitely a temporary thing- I think they’ll push to retain whoever comes in when my colleague returns, but it’s not that likely they’ll get permission. It’ll be advertised externally as standard policy, and tbh neccesary if they want a good field of candidates (I suspect if they advertised internally, they’d get a handful of juniors from unconnected fields, and me). But good point as to whether they’ll want fresh blood. I think not, but it’s something to check- thanks!

I’ve been at the company for 4 years… But it’s a good career move in terms of experience and qualification. I’d far rather do it with a safety net of secondment or similiar but frankly it’s not that important to me, the opportunity’s definitely more valuable. I like my job but it’s getting to be time for a change anyway.

(the more temporary nature probably works well for me since it’ll deter a lot of the more qualified applicants who I’d usually be competing with!)

scotroutes

That’s how it worked where I was for many years.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I like my job but it’s getting to be time for a change anyway

Not the best thing to post on the internet when you’re applying for promotion!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Find out which of your colleagues are also in the running for the job and start spreading vicious rumours about them.

scotroutes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Speak to your boss, end off. They should tell you what the score is. Everywhere is different last big place everyone who covered maternity either stayed in place or went sideways, the returning mother either went sideways or up.

dooosuk
    Free Member

And I chat to the rest of the team to get input and advice, try and find out about any problems before the interview

I wouldn’t do this…it’s a bit presumptuous and could rile a few people.

Just chat with your boss and see where your idea fits with their plans.

Northwind

Just to add to that- one of my current colleagues joined the team as maternity cover from outside, but was retained fulltime at the end of the period. Another maternity position was filled internally via an internal and external ad. I actually joined the team as temporary cover for a colleague on an endless secondment then converted to fulltime. So that’s all pretty par for the course. Er, probably shouldn’t be any more specific!

I don’t think anyone else in my immediate team will apply. Could be wrong!

Gary_M – Member

Not the best thing to post on the internet when you’re applying for promotion!

Not a problem here I feel, it’s not a secret, everyone’s aware (and actually been supportive of me in upskilling outside of my actual job to assist that!) – though a reasonable concern so cheers! I think they half expect me to abandon ship at some point but I’d rather stay and progress- that’s not often going to be possible though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Applying for a job within your existing team- what's the deal?’ is closed to new replies.