Appliance Rated 120V – Will I die content.

Home Forum Chat Forum Appliance Rated 120V – Will I die content.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Appliance Rated 120V – Will I die content.
  • Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

Mrs C has got some hair straighteners off her sister in Canada. They are rated 120VAC but when her sis was over here she used a travel plug type thingy seemingly with no problem. A request has been made but I thought I’d check the hive mind fist. If I replace the 2 pin plug with a 3 pin, will I die?

bigyinn

Is mrs C insured?

anjs

Depends if the adapter has a transformer in I guess. Putting 220 volts through an element designed for 120 is going to cause problems.

konabunny

Yes – or rather, the tongs will die. Unless perhaps you can plug them into a 120v shaver socket?

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Good probability they get too hot and either melt, catch fire or melt the insulation and give your mrs a shock.

Personally I’d get some UK ones….

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Unless perhaps you can plug them into a 120v shaver socket?

Shave socket transformers are not rated for large loads, you’ll fry the transformer….

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

Thanks guys. I’ll bin them.

allthegear

Don’t be too quick to bin them – it is quite possible it has a switched mode power supply in it perfectly capable of self-adjusting for 240v. A lot of items these days, like laptops and iPod chargers, are switched-mode as it is simply easier to fit one power supply then a different one for each region.

Rachel

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Most electronic stuff is rated 110V-240V so you can use it with an adapter.

Some isn’t, and tends to pop and smell funny when you plug it into a 240V socket (yes Garmin, looking at you).

However non electonic stuff like kettles or your hair tongs will either get very hot and maybe catch fire (or at the very least fry your hair) if you plug 120V stuff into 240V sockets; or will only get lukewarm if you do it the other way round.

Definitely not a good idea unless it specifically says 110-240V on the panel.

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

It specifically says 120V on the label. I’ve got other stuff from Canadidadadia that says 120V / 240V.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

If it specifically says 120V on the label, you specifically can’t use them. Expect a loud bang and some swearing.

As the previous callers have said, a good deal of stuff can operate on both supplies. It’ll almost certainly be printed / stamped on the device if you can though, either on the plug or next to where the cord attaches. If there’s no mention, congratulations, you’ve got some holiday tongs. (And who doesn’t like holiday tongs?)

Premier Icon nano
    Subscriber

Have used my SL1200’s and Pioneer Mixer on their US two pin plugs for 20 years with no problems.

Just use a screwdriver to open the earth (power off of course :wink:) and away you go. Most two pin plugs have a neutral mark so I don’t see a problem..

Have had more issues trying to get my UK stuff to work out there cos of the drop in voltage..

Premier Icon Matt24k
    Subscriber

You need something like this Voltage converter
    BUT you need one of the correct, probably high wattage, of the straightners.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Have used my SL1200’s and Pioneer Mixer on their US two pin plugs for 20 years with no problems.

Consider yourself lucky.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Appliance Rated 120V – Will I die content.’ is closed to new replies.