Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Apple’s Spring Loaded logo…
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Makes me feel a bit warm and fuzzy and makes me think 80’s Apple.

ElShalimo

Does this mean the new iPad mini is finally coming out?

kelvin

Doubt it, they seem to have no real love for the handbag sized iPad, ever since releasing mahosive screened iPhones. But it will be iPad focused with that logo, for Sure.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Think you missed a joke there Kelvin…..

kelvin

Really? Doh! Could you explain it to me then?

nuke

Makes me think Rubik Magic…also very 80s 🤷

DrJ

Looking to buy the new 13″ iPad but reports are that it will be in limted supply due to production problems with the mini-LED screen. In fact why I want ( !=need ) it is for 5G. I am mighty impressed by the speed on my phone – much faster than my home internet. Another benefit of my Covid jab.

lovewookie

Makes me think Rubik Magic…also very 80s 🤷

first thing I thought of too.

Think I still have one in a drawer somewhere..

bridges
    Free Member

I just wish Apple would release some new desktop computers. Lifestyle devices such as iPads are all well and good (I have an iPad, I love it), but I need a replacement for my ageing iMac, and with ‘new Macs coming’ since nearly a year ago now, I’ve been patiently waiting to spend some money, yet there’s still nothing new other than various rumours. Apple still have the older Intel models on sale, but the M1 chipped MacBooks and MacMinis are reportedly better in many ways, so I’d rather wait for the newer products.I would happily have bought a new iMac last summer, but talk of new machines made me hold off. And I’m still bloody waiting. Come on Apple; less of the frippery and more proper computers please.

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

I just wish Apple would invent a more reliable charging connector than **** lightning or USB-C.

zilog6128

I’m wanting a 27″ M1 iMac too, won’t be till later on in the year apparently. But that’s for work anyway, which is boring… In the meantime, bring on the frippery! Much more exciting 🤣 Fingers crossed for AirTags, that would be great.

I just wish Apple would invent a more reliable charging connector than **** lightning or USB-C.

they have done, for phones at least. Would be surprised if iPads don’t get it soon too.

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

iphone 12 is still a lightning connector – do you mean the rumored fully wireless charging for the 13 or magsafe?

bridges
    Free Member

I’m wanting a 27″ M1 iMac too, won’t be till later on in the year apparently.

So annoying. I would have bought an M1 MacMini to tide me over for a while, if I’d known. Rumours first suggested around late Nov last year, in time for the Xmas market, then Spring this year, now what? I suppose the next big window for retailers is the new academic year in September, so perhaps late July-ish? I do hope so. M1 (or whatever they call it) iMac, 24-28″ 5k screen, thinner bezel, smaller effective ‘footprint’, user-upgradable RAM. It’s not much to ask for.

zilog6128

iphone 12 is still a lightning connector – do you mean the rumored fully wireless charging for the 13 or magsafe?

yeah MagSafe, it’s awesome, why would you want to plug it in?! 😃

Rumours first suggested around late Nov last year

all the rumours I’ve seen suggest a smaller iMac in the first part of this year then bigger iMac towards the end… September would make sense. Worth waiting for though, if it’s anything like the laptops it’ll be cheaper than an iMac Pro but massively out-perform it!

PrinceJohn

Why have they changed the logo to an e?

P-Jay
    Free Member

My 20w USB-c – Lightening charger is brilliant. I can charge my 12 Pro in an hour or so and it lasts 2 days. It also charges my Magicshine battery in 3 hours and not 9 via USB-A

timmys

The haven’t. It’s not a logo, it’s just a promotional image for next weeks product announcement event.

Apple nerds like to paw over whether the image hints at what is to be announced (sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t).

The other thing Apple nerds tend to do is take rumours about what may be released as “OMG CONFIRMED!!!111”, and then throw their toys out of the pram when the particular product they want to see is not forthcoming.

stevious

They’re moving to Norway and renaming the company ‘eple’.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The other thing STW nerds tend to do is take rumours about what may be released as “OMG CONFIRMED!!!111”, and then throw their toys out of the tagalong when the particular product they want to see is not forthcoming.

Made it more inclusive for singletrack readers on your behalf.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah I didn’t really enjoy that particular part of the “iPhone 12 experience” the release could give the impression that the devices had USB-C ports, but they don’t they’re Lightening, what they did do, was give you a USB-C to Lightening lead… but not the actual charger for it.

I’m sure Apple spun it into a positive and the fanbois lapped it up, but it was a bit cheeky, here’s a £1000 smart phone, that you can’t actually charge with that’s in the box. That’s not actually that unusual these days, my £300 MTB lights I mentioned above also only came with a cheap USB-A to USB-C cable and no charger, and the new higher wattage USB-C charger are good, but still you wouldn’t think you’d need to buy a £16 charger separately.

seosamh77
    Free Member

P-Jay
    Free Member
    My 20w USB-c – Lightening charger is brilliant. I can charge my 12 Pro in an hour or so and it lasts 2 days. It also charges my Magicshine battery in 3 hours and not 9 via USB-A

Posted 14 minutes ago
    REPLY | REPORT

quite slow tbh! my 250 quid xiaomi has 33w charging. 😆 It is tremendous, do agree.

seosamh77
    Free Member

zilog6128
    I’m wanting a 27″ M1 iMac too, won’t be till later on in the year apparently.

talk they are probably going to go bigger than 27 inch eh?

zilog6128

I’m sure Apple spun it into a positive and the fanbois lapped it up, but it was a bit cheeky, here’s a £1000 smart phone, that you can’t actually charge with that’s in the box.

I remember doing this at the time but, was it ACTUALLY a problem for you? As in, you bought the phone, then genuinely had no means of charging it?

ah, not been keeping up with the rumour mill!! Yeah, that would probably be cool, bigger is always better! Does mean I’ll have to replace my 2nd 27″ monitor as well, as otherwise it’d look silly, and there will be a danger of it blocking all the light coming through the window behind them 🤣

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Really? Doh! Could you explain it to me then?

Does this mean the new iPad mini is finally coming out?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I remember doing this at the time but, was it ACTUALLY a problem for you? As in, you bought the phone, then genuinely had no means of charging it?

Not really, my bedside charger was on its last legs, I’d held out for the new phone, so I ended up buying a new one. My cheap wireless charger in the office doesn’t like my 12 for some reason, I think my case is too thick. It doesn’t fit in the wireless charger in my car which is my fault for ordering a Max, but I’m usually plugged in for CarPlay anyway. The massive battery life over came the half my chargers not working.

Two of the guys in work were moving from Androids and needed chargers.

Apple being Apple I suspect the move to drop the 3-pin charger from the box at the same time as moving from USB A to USB C wasn’t a coincidence.

kelvin

I have a draw full of chargers. Supplying them in the box is a waste.

As for the rainbow “joke”… well, er… yawn.

Kuco

I use to like the rainbow logo, the plain white is very sterile and corporate. A bit like how Apple is now as a company.

hot_fiat

Anyone use a quadlock case with a 12p? Do you have difficulty getting it to charge wirelessly?

dudeofdoom

I use to like the rainbow logo, the plain white is very sterile and corporate. A bit like how Apple is now as a company.

I miss the Jobs.

sharkbait
    Free Member

My 20w USB-c – Lightening charger is brilliant.

Indeed, well done Apple.
    Shame that companies such as OnePlus have been doing that for a fair few years and are now charging at something like 65w
    🤦🏻‍♂️

Oh, and the logo looks like an apple peel to me.

DickBarton

Was it not some evangelical reason of saving the environment as everyone had various charging bits from other devices that could be reused and therefore Apple was saving the planet one reused charging device at a time?

Superficial
    Free Member

Well yeah, that’s how they sold it. It also means that an iPhone can come in an even smaller box, meaning more phones per shipping container and a reduced carbon footprint that way.

All nonsense, obviously, but I’m sure it saved Apple some cash.

bridges
    Free Member

I hope not. 21.5″ here, and whilst I’d prefer say a 24″ screen, I’ve seen rumours of a 32″ one, and that’s just silly unless you’re in say a studio type environment where your screen is some way from where you sit. The 27″ screen would just about be useable. But with a much thinner bezel/surround, so that it takes up less physical space than the current model.

Apple nerds

Why do some people just have to have a dig at others, simply for choosing something different to themselves? You don’t get called a ‘Ford nerd’ or a ‘Heinz nerd’ etc, simply for favouring one brand over another. So much hate.

As for the chargers; it’s true that most people already own at least one USB charger; we have a box full of spare chargers, leads and those cheap crap earphones you get with new ‘phones. Some friends of ours, a household with up to 8 people at any one time, held an ‘audit’, and discovered they had about 30 different USB chargers, 20+ pairs of earphones/headphones, and countless leads of various types. Daft. I’ve fitted some USB/power electrical wall sockets, so we’re not always looking for a charger (my wife will routinely lose them/leave them at friends’, work etc). Our local charity shops won’t take any USB chargers as they’re inundated and had to simply throw hundreds of them away. So; I think Apple not including a charger with every device, is a sensible thing to do. Yes it’s mostly a marketing ploy, but it’s still better than supplying yet another probably surplus charger and more packaging.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Indeed, well done Apple.
    Shame that companies such as OnePlus have been doing that for a fair few years and are now charging at something like 65w

Mine is actually an Anker, it was a couple of quid cheaper and well, not Apple.

20W seems to be the max for iPhones, although my MagicShine battery will charge at up to 60W at 60W charger was £50.

kerley
    Free Member

Why do some people just have to have a dig at others, simply for choosing something different to themselves?

Not sure Apple nerd is a dig, whereas Apple fanboy is.

Nerd is a good word for this “Apple nerds like to paw over whether the image hints at what is to be announced (sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t).”
    Something I wouldn’t be aware of as although I like Apple products I don’t have an interest in that level of detail but a nerd would do.
    If nerd is used in this sense then not really a dig
    “engage in or discuss a technical field obsessively or with great attention to detail.”

P-Jay
    Free Member

FYI I had no problem with Apple not supplying a charger, or indeed switching their leads from USB A to USB C, it was doing both at the same time which took the piss.

bridges
    Free Member

Speaking of USB-C etc; my wife mistakenly took my only Thunderbolt cable into work, thinking it was a micro-USB lead that she can charge her ‘phone with. And has lost it. It’s the only cable that I can use with my camera; standard USB-C ones don’t work. 🙁 Thirty odd quid to replace it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

bridges
    Free Member

I hope not. 21.5″ here, and whilst I’d prefer say a 24″ screen, I’ve seen rumours of a 32″ one, and that’s just silly unless you’re in say a studio type environment where your screen is some way from where you sit. The 27″ screen would just about be useable. But with a much thinner bezel/surround, so that it takes up less physical space than the current model.

Nah I sit in front of a 27 in imac every day, 32 in would be great. There’s never been a time when I though, mm wish this screen was smaller! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

So; I think Apple not including a charger with every device, is a sensible thing to do.

how many people have fast chargers kicking about though? You generally need the power block for fast charging to work.

bridges
    Free Member

Nah I sit in front of a 27 in imac every day, 32 in would be great. There’s never been a time when I though, mm wish this screen was smaller!

Depends on how close you are to the screen. I’m less than 2 feet away. 21.5″ is adequate, 24″ would be about spot on I think. Our TV is 32″. And that’s fine (we’re only sat about 8 feet away from it). Sitting close to a large screen requires a lot of head movement. I don’t get the obsession with massive screens. To me, colour accuracy, dynamic range, clarity and resolution are far more important than size.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Apple’s Spring Loaded logo…’ is closed to new replies.