Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Applecross Peninsula Mountain Biking Advice Please.
  • grenosteve
    Free Member

Hi all!

I’m off to Scotland in a few weeks to ride near Applecross.

We’re mostly going to ride over the Bealach na Ba pass, but we’re staying in Sheidaig and there looks to be a decent trail from Applecross back that way through the centre of the peninsula.

Any one know the area well, any idea what it’s like?

From photos I’ve found of the nearby Torridon loop, it looks rocky rather than boggy in the area. Is it rocky enough to warrant fitting a sus fork to my karate monkey? Will there be large boggy areas? It looks like a well established path on google earth, and not a bog fest (like cut gate for instance)….

Would like to keep the KM ridged and on faster tyres if poss, as most of the ride is on the road.

Any advice would be well appreciated. Ta.

grenosteve
    Free Member
    chakaping
    Free Member

Looks like that route takes the road from Applecross to Sheldaig?

The trail from Kenmore to Applecross works great as an out-and-back ride and is fun both ways.

It’s nice singletrack, not boggy. I was glad of a suspension fork but if you usually ride moderately technical trails with a rigid fork then you’ll be fine.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Thanks Chakaping,

We’re heading south along the road from Sheldaig, over the pass to Applecross, then doing the off-road bit to Kenmore last.

Initially we where going to do a road bike mini-tour around the area, but it’s had to be cut short so thought we’d throw in a bit of mountain biking too. I’ve wanted to cross Bealach na Ba off the list for years, so happy to do the road work to get there.

We may stay another night in the area and do another days riding towards Torridon, or stay at Fort Bill or in the boarders on the way back to get another day out of the trip.

chakaping
    Free Member

Would be a huge shame not to ride in Torridon while so close.

Very rocky indeed there though.

bugeye
    Free Member

Some recent pictures of the trail….. some muddy patches but nothing much to worry about.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XJSELs]20863402_10213859202697084_1498358385471078465_o[/url] by Martin Forrest, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XJSENS]20819247_10213859201057043_569749059395427360_o[/url] by Martin Forrest, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XJSEQA]20818895_10213859202417077_5698856957260415979_o[/url] by Martin Forrest, on Flickr

hodgynd
    Free Member

There is a fantastic track from Upper Toscaig ( over the wooden bridge at the end of the tarmac road ) which I discovered while on holiday 2 years back ( we stayed in the last cottage where the road ends ) which takes you over to Airigh Drishaig ..
    It’s a there and back ..dont try cycling around to Uags as you will end up crying !.
    Technical singletrack ( very in places ) ..here is a pic ..and yep you would need a bit of suspension ..

20160531_130254 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

There is also quite a high deer fence to contend with early in the ride where the bike won’t fit through the gate ..so you need to dangle it over the top !..therefore best if a minimum of two riders do the route ..
    Other than that it’s ace .. 😀

grenosteve
    Free Member

Thanks Bugeye, looks great. 😀

hodgynd
    Free Member

Here’s another of the Applecross to Kenmore trail from last year’s trip..on a sunny day!

20160531_174517 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

grenosteve
    Free Member

That’s the trail we will be riding (Applecross to Kenmore).
    Cheers Hodgynd. 😀

Think next year we need to make a week of it!

Gilles

no blue sky, but still good to do:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQGehxrjjxY[/video]

ks562
    Free Member

Looking at your route do you come out at Kenmore or further along the coast? If it is the path further along the coast then I would re-route to take the path on the left of the “V” up to Kenmore and then come back further long the road.

We planned to do the Kenmore ride 4/5 summers back but there was a crash on the road so we set off Sheildaign and I believe started on the route you have highlighted to finish on. I just remember a lot of pushing and a not very rideable coffin track and in the we admitted deafeat and just turned round (it was a midge fest in July) as we never made it to the Kenmore track we were hoping to meet.

Went back and did the Applecross to Kenmore route as mentioned above and it was absolutey stunning and competley rideable compared to our previous attempt. Re-route so you finish in Kenmore is my advice (and pedal back on the road).

We did it the same as you and took in the Belach climb and around the coast – makes for a big but ace day out 😀 I did it on my XC 29er hardtail and was fine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Applecross Peninsula Mountain Biking Advice Please.’ is closed to new replies.