Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Apple wifi routers – any good?
  • Spud

Using a Linksys at the moment (which is having issues – see below), so wondering about trying the Mac router(s). Recently got a Mac so is it any better?

simon_g

They're very good. Don't do ADSL though, only cable.

Consider the Time Capsule devices too – functionally the same as the Airport Extreme (will do all the router stuff, plus three gigabit ports on the back, USB port for more storage, shared printer, etc) but with 1TB of storage built in for your backups for about £90 more.

Jamie
    Free Member

Very expensive for what they are. I am a mac user but use a Buffalo Air station with no probs.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I have a Time Capsule, which I really like for the backup functions. It works really well with Time Machine, and I share an external hard drive on it too.

big_scot_nanny

long term mac user here, never felt the need to get airport base station, although the time machine version is tempting.

Netgear all the way with me, and no problems.

one consideration is that I believe to get a mac router to work with a PC you have to install the 'Bonjour' mac program on the PC to get it to connect with the router. This ruled it out for me as my work computer is a PC and will not allow me to install anything, so I would get no wireless at home. Just a wee consideration.

Kev

funkynick

big_scot_nanny… am not sure that is correct, I've been using an Airport Express up until very recently to power the wifi on my network which used both macs and pcs, and it worked just fine with both.

Badger
    Free Member

MY fatehr in law had a time capsule and router unit and it was great while it lasted… but it didn't last.

Apparently its a big issue with them and a lot of them have been failing at about 18 months (i.e. just outside the warranty). Apple don't want to know and there is a guy online who is collating a time capsule graveyard list (with the serial, date it died/length of use) which is rather telling as there are a LOT of them on his list and most are in the 18months of use range.

General opinion seems to be its a cooling issue as there is a hell of a lot of stuff in one small box with not enough air flow.

He's using a basic router and a seperate back up RAID 3 array instead now and thats working just fine.

Anyway thats what I've heard, hope it helps,

Badger

Badger
    Free Member

Here is the link:

http://timecapsuledead.org/

footflaps

I have both the Extreme and Airport Express and they are OK, but nothing special and over priced compared with Netgear etc. They are also less configurable than the competition.

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Have the Extreme and Airport express. Very happy with them and never had any problems. I'd avoid the TimeCapsule though. Lots of reports of corrupt backups with them when backing up over WiFi.

If you use one with ADSL I'd get one of the pass through ADSL modems. Just need to add your password in Airport setup. I used to have one of these Draytek ones and worked a treat.
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=7898

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Longtime Mac user/multiple home network setter-upper…

Never seen the need for Mac specific router esp after looking at the price-tag.

I've used Belkin/Netgear and more recently O2's re-badged (Thomson Speedtouch TG585v7) hardware.

All have performed flawlessly, with mixed PC/Mac users and mixed B/band providers.

Backup via an ethernet equipped external drive is very straightforward.

big_scot_nanny

funkynick – Member
    big_scot_nanny… am not sure that is correct, I've been using an Airport Express up until very recently to power the wifi on my network which used both macs and pcs, and it worked just fine with both.

Ah sh!te, well that's me told! good to know, thanks funkynick

Kev

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Apple wifi routers – any good?’ is closed to new replies.