Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Apple watch – why the ring blistering funk does the OH want one?
  • Shackleton

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I’ve read reviews, press releases and fanboy fappings but am still really none the wiser.</span>

I assume that it helps keep apple shares high and allows true believers to identify each other. Is it any good for cycling (strava?)? What does it do that reaching in to your back pocket to find your phone can’t also achieve?

As someone who considers the peak of human technological achievement to be the adjustable hammer, can anyone explain to me why having an apple watch is a good thing? Help me overcome my cynicism….. .

For £400 I’m expecting it to be also able to raise the dead, make my tea, dictate optimum **** speed and be splash resistant.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cos dey jus work, man.

Cougar

Smart watches are ace.

Apple watches are also ace, only with Apple Tax applied.

zilog6128

Have you tried asking him/her?

They are good though 😀

Cougar

What does it do that reaching in to your back pocket to find your phone can’t also achieve?

Do you wear a regular watch?  Why do that when you’ve got a clock on your phone?  Same principle only biggerer.

mattyfez

Utterly pointless if you ask me. Just another thing to charge up.

That said I’ve not worn a watch since I was a teenager either!

nickdavies

Because you can put it on, go for a ride and not need to take your phone? Don’t even need to reach in your back pocket.

Because you can throw it on, stick in some Bluetooth earphones and listen to music? Or do lots of other things you might want to do with a phone without actually taking it..

Brilliant bit of kit if you ask me. I’d have one myself in a shot if EE would let business users have one. Relies on that phone functionality though imo, before that it was just another smart watch and that I don’t see such value in for me when your phone is with you.

Oh – and it’s apple… I think that’s enough for a lot of people! Could be worse… for a decent watch £400 isn’t that expensive.. your lucky she’s not eyeing up a Rolex! 😉

CountZero

What does it do that reaching in to your back pocket to find your phone can’t also achieve?

Other than the fact you don’t have to carry your phone in your back pocket, where you’re likely to sit on it and break the thing. The latest version works independently of the phone, and it has a whole suite of apps as well.

Not that I have one, or any interest in having one, or any ‘smart watch’. I have a bunch of mechanical/quartz watches that do one thing – tell me the time without me having to fish my phone out of my pocket and wake it up just to find out what a three second glance at my watch does.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I personally don’t know how anyone could live without a miniature smart phone that can’t make calls on their wrist, or indeed a £400 watch that’s obsolete in 2 years.

😉

for me it’s one of those things that’s a solution looking for a problem like those stupid voice controlled HomePod things.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Still pretty much relevant

Shiny thing make it all better

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think in one of the other apple threads somebody said the more devices you can get out in a cafe the more chance you have of getting laid 😉

handybar
    Free Member

Does it have a laser beam like bonds rolex?

kerley
    Free Member

Do you wear a regular watch?  Why do that when you’ve got a clock on your phone?

Haven’t worn a watch for over 10 years, I just look at my phone.

Shackleton

Thanks, some useful points in there. I didn’t know that it worked as more than an interface for a phone. With the music can you stream spotify or does it have to be iTunes?

I haven’t worn a watch in over 20 years (I think post GCSE celebrations in 1996 destroyed my last one) and struggle to care enough to use my smartphone for much more than email, texts and browsing. Oh, and as a phone. So I’m probably the last person to ask about these things.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

zilog6128

I think in one of the other apple threads somebody said the more devices you can get out in a cafe the more chance you have of getting laid

this is very true. So, if you don’t want your OH to have an affair, buy them some Android/Garmin piece of crap instead 😂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think in one of the other apple threads somebody said the more devices you can get out in a cafe the more chance you have of getting laid

Is that really true?

Or is it more like Apple people are way more handsome/attractive, are clean and tidy, care about fluffy aminals, drink coffee slowly whilst looking thoughtfully through the window at the passing humanoids going about thier business, then rummaging around thier trendy bag for a lightning cable to charge thier devices up..whilst simultaneously editing a presentation or phd, or perhaps smashing numbers into spreadsheets seeking answers to global warming temperature stats from “before the internet was even a thing man”

And then, leaving it all open and on the raised seating, go for a piss and coming back to order yet another soya latte extra hot.

See, we are delicious people..

Way moar interesting than U.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So facebook and free wifi then 😉 anyway the watch will make your life better, until you need the new one

iamtheresurrection

It’s not exactly life changing, but I’m using my phone a lot less because I leave it in the house a lot now. Which is a good thing.

Two or three hours recording a ride on Strava is about its limit really, recording accuracy is pretty good though (I pair it with a TickrX strap).

It’s properly waterproof, so good on the bike, and makes for some interesting phone calls with the wife when in the shower…

Good for paying for coffee, handy for Microsoft Authenticator and 1Password, half handy for PayByPhone parking, very handy for music (Apple only) and Podcasts but really, really useful for handsfree unlocking my laptop.

i really like leaving the house without a phone, but knowing that I’m still contactable in an emergency (DoNotDisturb mirrors the phone).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sounds, like awesome to me..

iamtheresurrection

You’re right to think it isn’t. It’s alright…

bikebouy
    Free Member

If my eyes worked as well as the watch, I’d buy one.

Sadly I need glasses to read such small text..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve a series 2. It works well for strava but not for biking as the battery life is not great when using strava…fine for runs but not for bike rides several hours long. not sure if the series 3 and 4 batteries are better. But logs data just fine, and syncs with strava and other applications.

Music is synchronised via the watch app on the phone, so whatever music is on your phone you can sync with the watch. Means you don’t need to take your phone out with you for walks or runs if you want to play music, just hook up to some BT headphones.

Apple Pay is great, especially on the London Underground. rarely take my wallet out with me and cash is just so pre-historic. And the lack of max price restriction like you have with contactless card makes it even more useful as a means of paying for stuff. Not many places these days don’t take contactless.

Good for notifications and messages and also to answer the phone..I wouldn’t actually use it to make or take calls, but handy when the phone goes off and it’s in another room or something to save you running around trying to find it.

Charging is no problems. battery lasts fine for a day…usually on a typical day I’ve only consumed about 25 to 30% of the battery and that usually includes an hours exercise where I’ve tracked heart rate, calorie consumption and the usual parameters, so just charge it overnight and no problems. I’ve had 4 days out of it once when I forgot my charger on a work trip, so if you just use it to glance at the time a few times a day the battery lasts a few days.

All in all its a pretty nice gadget.. I like it. Is £400 expensive considering its features and build quality? well that’s upto you do decide, but to coin the usual phrase…it does just work.

Wont change anyones life, but a nice gadget all the same.

northernsoul

Conveniently, once you’ve unlocked your laptop hands-free, the watch can then provide motion sensor and heart rate data etc to reveal, er, your wellness 😇

gauss1777
    Free Member

As someone who considers the peak of human technological achievement to be the adjustable hammer

Isn’t an adjustable spanner better? You can spanner with it, but hammer too if necessary (at least my wife does, frequently). Although, I don’t know what an adjustable hammer is,

I could happily go without my phone for days, but am all out of sorts if I forget my watch!

molgrips
    Free Member

I on the other hand love having a phone so I don’t need to have anything on my wrist.

DavidB
    Free Member

Can you upload your thraps to Strava with one?

chestrockwell

I have a cheaper Garmin watch but the principle is the same. Can go out for a run or ride without the phone and still log the distance. Important especially for running as I hate having stuff hanging off me and tend to go shorts, t-shirt, socks and trainers in all weathers. Also logs treadmill runs where the same rules apply.

I hadn’t worn a watch regularly for years but miss it now when I don’t have one on. Don’t tend to use my phone to tell the time these days.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

so if you just use it to glance at the time a few times a day the battery lasts a few days.

Such faintest of praise is oddly enticing.  ie am enticed to dig out my old Citizen Eco-Drive to check (as many times as I wish, and whenever I wish) that it is now exactly 10 minutes past smug O’clock.

CountZero

A smart watch would be useless for at least one other reason, the main reason I like to carry my phone; I can’t read a book on a smart watch. Given any spot of free time, I get my phone out and catch up on whatever is the latest book I’m reading. Then I can carry on on my pad at home. I never need an excuse to read a book, a Watch would be a waste of money in that respect. The clock on my phone is handy for setting my watch when the clocks change, though.

DrJ

So, if you don’t want your OH to have an affair, buy them some Android/Garmin piece of crap instead

Have you seen the price of the top Garmin watches? Make an Apple Watch look quite a bargain!!

jimdubleyou

Can you upload your thraps to Strava with one?

Obvs…

zilog6128

Have you seen the price of the top Garmin watches?

I never said they were cheap crap! 😀

Bimbler
    Free Member

How do you embed vidya nowadays?

Because with your £400 watch you can do this to your £80k?  car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPsidqqUb_k&feature=youtu.be

[ video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPsidqqUb_k&feature=youtu.be[/video ]

moose
    Free Member

It’s another means to which she can interrupt you mid-conversation and stare at her wrist instead of her phone?

Who knows, but I bloody hate the things almost as much a mobiles.

alanf
    Free Member

I ride my bike and go running without a watch or phone – should I be worried?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I ride my bike and go running without a watch or phone – should I be worried?

If you didn’t record it you didn’t do it.

brakes
    Free Member

should I be worried?

only about the cold winters granddad, make sure you get your free flu jab

cookeaa

I’m a fan of cheap, unobtrusive, easily replaced watches:

F-91W-1S

Walking about with £400 strapped to my clumsy, muggable wrist just seems like an insane idea…

Nobody has ever been beaten up for a casio F-91W thus it is as much of a watch as I could possibly need, plus it never interupts you with Social meeja rubbish…

alanf
    Free Member

If you didn’t record it you didn’t do it.

Why should I be worried about that?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Apple watch – why the ring blistering funk does the OH want one?’ is closed to new replies.