Apple Watch v the rest?

• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by  prawny.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Apple Watch v the rest?
  • FunkyDunc

My current £50 gps watch is on its way out. Need something predominantly for running but also could be used on the bike.

So I either buy another cheap gps, or buy something posh.

Are Apple watches anywhere near as good as Garmin etc now?

Can they do intervals, splits for Duathlon etc, pace zones, route guidance ie breadcrumb with turn directions, remaining distance on a route ?

Ta

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

GPS tracker with smart functions? Buy a Garmin to budget.

Smart watch with GPS tracking? Buy an Apple Watch.

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

Coros Apex for me. Two months in and no issues.

I looked at Apple watches but tbph, the lack of battery life killed it for me. I don’t have any use for another device that needs daily charging. In real world use, the Apex will do a couple of hours of GPS a day plus be a usable smart watch with 24hr HR etc for a couple of weeks. With a few big bike rides (also GPS logged) thrown in before it needs a charge.

Daily charging of the Apple Watch is not a chore and probably not necessary for the latest models. My series 2 will last for days if I don’t use it for any activity tracking and if I do I charge it overnight…which is fine and battery life any longer is a bit useless. I don’t sleep with a watch on so instead of placing it the watch on my bedside table at night, I place it on its charger on my bedside table at night. So not a PITA at all. And tilt it on its side it acts as one of the best bedside clocks I’ve ever had so no need for a big bedside clock so declutters my bedside table too. So for me and anyone else who doesn’t sleep with their watch on more than a day’s battery life is not necessary and simply a waste…better off using the space the big battery is taking up and pack in more useful features like a nicer screen, more tech etc.

But Jambo has nailed it really. The Apple Watch is a great smart watch that can be a good activity tracker (as good as anything else for most people in reality), but if you want something for more serious activity tracking you’re better off with something more dedicated than the Apple Watch as they do have some limitations. For example if you’re doing a triathlon it’s not possible to switch between disciplines as you can with dedicated activity trackers. But then the Apple Watch packs a sh1t load of other features you will probably use every day and week in week out that no other more focussed activity trackers will have.

Copex Apex: 2 weeks on one charge with 24hr HR monitoring AND daily GPS tracking for a couple of hours a day???? Wow. That just about blows everything else out of the water by a significant margin. My cycle computer won’t last that long with daily use and that has a battery that is many times bigger that the watch. They’ve got some trick tech going on.

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

The Apex battery life really is stunning. Mines only the 42mm version too. The 46 has even more run time.

GPX’s agree with my Garmin so isn’t doing any weird intermittent sample and interpolation to get the runtimes. DCRainmaker had plenty of good stuff to say about them and only really ripped on the implementation of more technical sport science metrics that probably aren’t relevant to most non truly competitive athletes anyway although as Coros seem really switched on with software updates this may be resolved. No touchscreen if that’s a dealbreaker.

I disliked the standard strap but standard springbars make swapping a breeze. Backlight gets criticised by some but it’s never annoyed me.

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

I often use an Apple Watch (series 2 I think) running the strava app and a garmin edge 800 (on the bike) to track the same ride and I’m amazed at how well they agree. To be honest I only use the 800 for following routes these days and will track using the watch as it is good enough. I’m sure there are better activity watches. My wife (who does long trail runs) has a fenix 5, for example. But once you’ve paid for your coffee by holding your watch against the reader it’s hard to go back 😄

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Point of note. If it is connected to it, the Apple Watch will use the GPS of your phone always in preference to its internal GPS.

And it smooths GPS tracks quite heavily if you use the built in workout app.

Premier Icon Kuco
    Subscriber

I like my Apple watch as a daily watch but for sport always use my Garmin.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

I’m a Garmin fan and have the original vivoactive still going strong. Does all the basics for running and cycling, battery lasts about a week and I like the simple notifications and the fact the display is always on.

I only ever take it off to charge it. Sleep with it on, shower, workouts etc. Simple, straightforward and easy to use. Depends if you want a phone strapped to your wrist or a fitness tracker with some useful additions.

Premier Icon simon_g
    Subscriber

I love my Apple Watch and it’s good for simple tracking runs, playing music over Bluetooth, showing current pace etc but if you need serious training stuff then look elsewhere.

CraigW

But once you’ve paid for your coffee by holding your watch against the reader it’s hard to go back

Some of the newer Garmin watches can do payments. eg Fenix 6, or Vivoactive 4, or Forerunner 645 or 945. Seems not many banks supported yet, but could be worth opening an account to use it.

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

That Fenix 6 looks lovely and I have been thinking of changing bank anyway. But will it buzz every time England take (or lose) a wicket 🙂

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

Apple Watch as the day to day functions are useful and the tracking/recording/HRM with Strava is plenty good enough if you aren’t trying to compete in the top 10 of anything really. Since series 3 battery life has been pretty decent too, get 3 days without tracking or with just shorter running sessions no problem. Great for pinging your phone and your families phones when they’ve lost them around the house 😀

Jim bo said it best though, it’s a priority call.

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

I’m still on a series 1 apple watch. got it shortly after they were released, it’s been worn everyday since and charged every night. still going strong surprisingly, had it since late summer 2015!

Apple pay is very helpful, and use it for siri and music a lot

I miss an interval app with sound alerts in my apple watch…there might be an app for that though

widge34

Garmin are a pain in the ass with their software updates. They 100% screw something up whether it be bad gps tracker, bad battery drain or poor Bluetooth connection. They tend to fix one thing then balls something else up.

I have been using a Coros Pace since end of December. Everything works superbly. 2 weeks battery, accurate gps tracking and seamless syncing to Strava. I ditched my Garmin Vivoactive 4. So glad I did.

Premier Icon blurty
    Subscriber

My Fenix 5 plus Is one of the best things I own

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

I’m looking at a Fenix 6 x pro as an upgrade from an Instinct. £550 is pushing the boundaries of reasonableness though. 🤔

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

Fenux 5plus sapphire Ti from a PSA on here has been a revelation. Really works well. Santander are the bank that makes Garmin pay a breeze to install and use.

Premier Icon tuboflard
    Subscriber

Apple Watch during the day and at work for me but like others use a dedicated watch for sport. Unlike most others I’ve been loyal to Suunto over the years (even though their software is a bit flakey) and currently on a Suunto 9 which is brilliant. It’s FuzedTrack functionality is particularly impressive.

Premier Icon prawny
    Subscriber

Im currently trialling my Apple Watch S3 that I was about to sell but thought I’d give it another go.

It good as a watch, I like that general non sport fitness features, the move alert on garmin watches is hard to clear in an office environment so I end up just ignoring it. But the Apple Watch eggs me on a bit. I like that I can’t hear the vibrate, my garmins have always been quite loud (FR235, VAHR and VA3M) but for actual sport and battery life the Garmins are way better. I was going to sell one, but I really can’t decide which is best.

Obviously, the best was the pebble watches, the time 2 would have been perfect, but alas, they’re all done and Fitbit haven’t implemented the same features that pebble had for some reason.

One day someone will crack it, maybe that Coros is worth a look next.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.