Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Apple Watch (Series 4) opinions
  • oldtennisshoes

I’m toying with getting an Apple Watch 4 to replace my Garmin Instinct.
    The main reason is so that I can listen to audible while running without taking my phone, but I’m sure I’ll appreciate the Apple Pay and other stuff that comes with it.

Probably looking at the 44mm size and maybe the Nike branded one for easier access to the Nike fitness stuff, but not sure.

Any long term users with views they are willing to share?

Ta

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have the one you describe and am very happy with it overall.
    It’s not as sophisticated as other activity watches. Some mates have some Garmin type thing which gives them a lot more data but the Apple is enough for me.
    Charge lasts about 2 days unless you do something else eg Strava which eats the battery quite quickly. A 2 hour ride uses about 30%.
    I don’t use it for music so can’t comment on that.
    It charges quickly though so it’s no real problem and it can be used aaa type of clock on the side of your bed overnight while it’s doing it if that’s your thing.
    Would buy another if I needed to so don’t know what else to say
    Cheers
    Steve

highpeakrider
    Free Member

As above, I just use strava on mine and it tracks my walking data.
    Still take an only phone with me for calls if required.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks both. Sounds like a solid bit of kit. I’ll maybe see what dc rainmaker has to say too.

simon_g

I like mine. It probably says a lot that I was/am a bit of a mechanical watch nerd and hardly wear them any more in favour of the Apple Watch. Went through a few Garmin watches first, they’re probably still a better option for hardcore runners and the like but the Apple Watch does a lot really well.

It’s really good for everyday activity, listening to music when running and not taking a phone, or for recording shorter local rides with Strava (longer and I’ll be taking a cycling garmin anyway). Check how well audible works though, some audio apps have a watch app that is nothing more than a companion to the phone app.

Not sure cellular is worth it unless you really want to be contactable without carrying a phone (maybe if you do longer runs) or if you’re in the water a lot.

I had a couple of smaller sized ones which I liked but current is the larger size and I’ve got used to it. The battery life is much better on the big size if that helps. I just charge it every night in a little stand – if you have nightstand mode on it’ll show a clock on any slight movement if you want to check time in the night.

I still have a series 3 which was the first that feels snappy enough, particularly things like starting music then a workout without waiting for things to load. Wife has a s4 and that bigger screen is really nice. Mine have been the Nike+ version but I don’t think there’s any benefit besides the different strap and some extra watch faces. The apps are available to all.

Kuco

Slight highjack but anyone use a 3? I notice Apple have them for £199. I’ve got a Garmin Vivo 3 music and I only ever use it for music in the gym and gps for running. And having got some AirPods pro’s they won’t connect to the Garmin.

Caher

I was keen on an Apple watch but my phone is Android so I’m not wanting to change my phone too.

winrya
    Free Member

I have an original Apple Watch I’ve had since launch that I use for work and is really only any use as screen extension from my phone as it’s really slow with its age and lack of tech.

I’ve had a 44mm series 4 Nike editon since launch which is a brilliant bit of kit. Extra screen size is better, more responsive and due to the extra power is much more usable as a stand alone device to make calls/text from.

I use it as a running and cycling tool with Strava which it is brilliant for. Apple Music is downloaded onto my watch so I load strava, connect my Bluetooth headphones to the watch (Powerbeats pro and AirPods connect fine btw), listen to my music whilst strava records my speed, distance, heart rate etc. Only thing that annoys me is Apple don’t allow Spotify app to download music to it.

I’m thinking of changing to a series 5 however as I think the always on screen would make a good improvement

Daffy

Had mine for over a year and I love it. Like all Apple kit, it’s intuitive to use and nice to interact with. Mine’s a cellular, but since GiffGaff don’t do e-sim yet and I don’t want a contract, it’s never been used like this by me. As other have said, Spotify doesn’t work offline like it does for Android and Garmin which is annoying. But Apple Music works fine. I haven’t switched to AM from Spotify as I suspect it’s something to do with Apple and Spotify licensing. Apple Pay is great and I use it all the time. Notes and the ability to take a call on the watch without having to find your phone is great. There’s also a nice feature that makes your iPhone play a sound whenever you’ve forgotten where you placed it. Like a 2020 version of those key rings for your car keys that beeped when you whistled.

jam-bo

AW4 Nike edition here. Sport band hook and loop strap is really comfy.

Got a spigen bumper as I scratched it about two days after buying it.

Nike app is shit and doesn’t play with any other service well.

I can get nearly two full days but tend to take it off every night and charge it.

If you care about gps accuracy look up Apple Watch smoothing. Lots of people get excited about it, doesn’t really bother me.

oldtennisshoes

Mmmm, was hoping to use spotify offline too.

TiRed

Slight highjack but anyone use a 3? I notice Apple have them for £199

I have a 38mm 3 I bought 14 months ago for £200 ex display at Heathrow. I thought I’d try it as a cheaper entry into the technology. I hadn’t worn a watch for 10 years. It’s earned its place on my wrist. I use it for Strava commuting, Apple Pay, weather and time. It controls the radio app when walking the dog.

I was thinking of upgrading to a 5, but the battery life has not improved. You won’t get two days use out of it!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Apple Watch (Series 4) opinions’ is closed to new replies.