Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Apple TV and YouTube…
  • househusband

I have a PS3 that I use for iPlayer, LoveFilm and watching films that I have as AVI’s and MP4’s, etc. Never use it for gaming!

The one thing that frustrates me is the limitations it has for YouTube using either it’s own browser so I always seem to end up downloading them and either using TVersity or sticking them on a USB stick and then plugging that into the PS3.

Are there any limitations to Apple TV and YouTube; is it limited in resolution or content..?

Any comments welcome – thanks!

lungman

Apple tv very limited out of the box as can only stream from iTunes or apple store for movies, I,ve not tryed it for YouTube. Best option is to jailbreak it via firecore or such like and then becomes handy as hell as you can stream most formats straight from computer. I use it a lot to steam from IPad or iMac. Netflix is available but I can’t get it to work

Hope this helps

Jay

CaptJon
    Free Member

10.8 allows you to mirror your computer on your tv via ATV

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How many updates have you done to the PS3, to a point you could boot it with Linux – might be able to use that instead

CountZero

A friend of mine has an Apple TV and loves it. She uses Netflix, streamed from her iPad. No idea about YouTube, but she uses hers as it came, not jailbroken, she wouldn’t have the foggiest notion how to do it, and would care even less.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

We have three in the house and they are superb! Use them for everything… Youtube is great quality, however i would say that it downloads quite a large buffer before starting to play, which can be a little frustrating, but i have only ever used HD content so that may be why… Our broadband averages 4.9Mbps so i don’t know if thats a factor too. Also, typing search criteria with the tiny remote is time consuming.
    As a comparison, we have a Samsung Smart TV which has Youtube etc also, and the TV system is a little slower than the Apple TV…

househusband

Thanks, all.

@skidsareforkids; can you access your YouTube subscriptions, playlists, etc..?

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I don’t have a Youtube account set up, so I don’t know if that’s a feature… I will maybe give that a shot and let you know.

househusband

Thanks, safk.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Apple TV and YouTube…’ is closed to new replies.