Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Apple Store vs John Lewis
  • SuperScale20
    Free Member

Hi all I am about to purchase a New Macbook Pro and the price from John Lewis is £1345 but Apple Store is more expensive at £1499 they seem to be same machine. I just wanted to find out if this is normal I was not aware Apple supply there products cheaper to retailers.

Also the John Lewis Accidental Damage is £80 not sure what Apple care is but sure it is more plus an excess.

Model Macbook Pro 13 8gb ram 256 SSD Touch ID

Any advice greatly appreciated.

dc1988

Apple care is extended warranty, tends to be no questions asked. Not cheap but worth it if something goes wrong.

Mincer

Or £1269 from the Apple refurb store…

supernova

If you’re not going to pay for Apple Care, John Lewis is probably the better supplier with a longer guarantee.

grtdkad

…possibly just a result of John Lewis’ “never undersold” mantra so they may be price matching another retailer.

My money would be going to John Lewis tbh

spacemonkey

With Apple you can try the device for 14 days and hand it back no questions asked if you don’t get in with it, eg decide you want the 16gb version or a cheaper Air will suffice. I don’t believe that’s possible with JL.

frankconway

Suggest you compare Apple warranty with JL guarantee; then compare AppleCare+ with JL accidental damage which are the options from both.
    Mac repairs are horrendously expensive; I closed Mac Book on a wad of papers so pulled them out and….knackered the screen.
    Long story short – cost of screen replacement etc was c£500 but Apple did it foc; result!
    Now, I’m ultra careful.

Flaperon

Apple Store doesn’t seem to care where you bought from, so would suggest John Lewis. Any issues, take it to Apple Store first then if no success you have backup option of JL customer service.

I’m not convinced that JL is the panacea that people make it out to be based on my limited experience of them doing everything possible to back out of honouring my statutory rights.

CaptainSlow

I think Stormfront offer 3 year warranty

Superficial
    Free Member

Is it definitely the same model? As you say it’s unusual to see such a substantial discount on Apple. Make sure it’s not last year’s model.

Or at least, be aware if it is – there’s nothing absolutely wrong with an older model although the 2018 base MBP was a bit wheezy. 2019 much better.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Thanks all for your advice machines are both 2019, I think I will go with John Lewis option previously always gone with Apple Store but as JL cheaper and I have also previously used JL accident care on TV worked well and good value.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

John Lewis every time.

mercuryrev

Not sure if this is still the case, or not, but from experience buying from an apple store gives you a much longer warranty.

Please ask in store, however, as it’s not something they shout from the roof tops.

I bought a Macbook Air back in 2011 and like Triggers Broom, it’s had a new keyboard when certain keys kept sticking, a new screen and a new hard drive. All done under warranty, despite my original extended warranty having run out. I had to take it back to the original store but because of that the warranty was extended. Sorry but I can’t remember exactly how much the warranty was, although it has run out now.

As I say, please check with the store, as my experience may no longer be the case.

In case someone thinks my laptop is unreliable, having had all that work, it’s on all day, pretty much every day and goes everywhere with me. Not sure many other laptops would survive the abuse mine gets.

robertpb
    Free Member

John Lewis gives you an automatic 2 year warranty on electrical goods, you can then purchase an accidental damage one for 2 years at the same time.
    It’s usually cheaper to buy an extended warranty from a third party after the second year.

johndoh
    Free Member

John Lewis is probably the better supplier with a longer guarantee.

My recent experience with them has been shocking (18 month old tv with failing backlights) – I expected a speedy and efficient resolution but instead I have had the runaround.

Called their online helpdesk three times, each time waited 20+ minutes in a queue before I gave up each time.

Ended up going into their Leeds store where it took a good 10 minutes to find someone to help. They said that, due to GDPR, they wouldn’t replace but attempt a fix and booked me in with a sub-contracted business.

Spent Monday waiting for a ‘tv repairman’ – yes they still exist apparently – he called at 2pm asking if we had a spare tv (who does) as he’d be coming to take the faulty one away and it would be 7-10 days. I said we didn’t so he said he wouldn’t come round, instead they would rebook me in and I could expect a call from their office.

Still haven’t had a call nor do I know who to call as it was a nameless subcontracted business.

Escalated with John Lewis and was told yesterday (via Twitter DM) I have a ‘case manager’ who will look into it for me.

Still haven’t heard from them with an update.

nealglover
    Free Member

They said that, due to GDPR, they wouldn’t replace but attempt a fix

Did you ask them what relevance GDPR has to a broken TV ?

scuttler

Did you ask them what relevance GDPR has to a broken TV

Olden days TVs just tuned into he transmitter up the hill. You don’t watch modern days TVs, they watch you so are probably loaded with usernames, passwords, voice recordings and other personal data. Ok, a bit dramatic, but ‘configured’ Smart TV = data slurper, so GDPR probably very relevant.

nealglover
    Free Member

Olden days TVs just tuned into he transmitter up the hill. You don’t watch modern days TVs, they watch you so are probably loaded with usernames, passwords, voice recordings and other personal data. Ok, a bit dramatic, but ‘configured’ Smart TV = data slurper, so GDPR probably very relevant.

They replaced my MacBook without any made up GDPR excuses.

johndoh
    Free Member

Did you ask them what relevance GDPR has to a broken TV ?

Yes

You don’t watch modern days TVs, they watch you so are probably loaded with usernames, passwords, voice recordings and other personal data.

Is what they said. I did say I could factory reset but that didn’t move them. I suspect the real reason is that they are cutting costs these days.

marcus7
    Free Member

I bought 2 ipads at Christmas from jl as they were cheaper, i asked at the apple store if there were any difference in the units and they said no, they will price match up to 10% of thier price so were still more expensive for the iPad. They said to me if it were them in the same situation they would get them from jl…

chrismac

I would use the apple website as its subject to eu warranty rather than uk. I took an iMac I bought from the website and was td because I bought it off the website the fix was free. If i had bought it i  the apple shop it would have been chargeable. Its easy a faulty hard disk 3 years old at the time, no apple care

jumble
    Free Member

I made exactly this decision on exactly that Mac book this week – I am typing this on the new Mac book which is great.

I went with John Lewis as the price was cheaper. I have bought apple products from JL and then taken them to the Apple store for manufacturer replacement previously with no issue. JL support is not good and I found my local authorised Apple repairer that JL send you to, to be a charlatan of the highest order.

thegreatape
    Free Member

John Lewis, as I recall, outsourced their customer service a few years ago, with the unsurprising result that it went from very good to shit. I used to get everything electrical from JL, but not any more.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yup – I am learning this now after thinking I was on a winner when my John Lewis purchased tv developed a fault.

stever
    Free Member

Local JLP has a ‘technical desk’, who are great. Now have a replacement for 18 month laptop after struggling to fix a very intermittent problem. Depends who you get I guess.

johndoh
    Free Member

I was told on Wednesday afternoon by John Lewis that I now have a ‘case manager’ who would be in touch. Still not heard a thing from them despite chasing them up.

I certainly would not recommend John Lewis on the basis of their 5 year guarantee.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Apple Store vs John Lewis’ is closed to new replies.