• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by wl.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Apple power cords: fake ones any good?
  • wl
    Free Member

Need a new power cord for my MacBook Pro. A whopping £80 from Apple for their official one but are the fake ones any good and can anyone recommend where/what to buy? Ta for any tips.

fossy

Do Anker make replacements ? Check on Amazon as Anker cables/chargers are excellent.

Flaperon

USB C, right? You should be fine with any adapter that delivers 30W or more. The higher the wattage the faster the charge.

If you hammer it on a 30W adapter it might discharge a bit.

Powerport Atom is worth the money.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    doris5000

i don’t know if you’re talking about a charger block or just a cable, but i always think back to this article when someone mentions cheap fake apple stuff!

http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html

deadkenny
    Free Member

You’ll be haunted by the ghost of Jobs if you use fake ones.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Dont

Replaced my 2012 macbook charger with a chinese one about a year ago, 2 weeks ago it got really hot and nearly melted the magsafe on the laptop, you can see where its partly goosed, went straight to argos and bought a genuine replacement and it worked luckily

I dont have 2k to replace it, so is the difference of 40 quid in the price of the chargers worth it?

CountZero

There are plenty of approved quality cables around, just don’t touch cheap eBay cables.
    Anker and Belkin are the most trustworthy makes, there are many instances of phones in particular bursting into flames while on charge overnight after using cheap knock-off chargers and cables.
    Another issue with really cheap cables is they often don’t carry data, only charge – I’ve had some in the past like that.
    Good cables and chargers don’t have to cost a fortune.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I needed a new charger for my mac book pro, bought a fake one. It used to get super hot, almost too hot to touch, so went into the recycling and a genuine one bought.

40 quid more vs spending a few weeks in a travel lodge whilst my burned down house was rebuilt wasnt a difficult decision.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

There are plenty of approved quality cables around

not for magsafe MacBook chargers

I needed a new charger for my mac book pro, bought a fake one. It used to get super hot, almost too hot to touch, so went into the recycling and a genuine one bought.

40 quid more vs spending a few weeks in a travel lodge whilst my burned down house was rebuilt wasnt a difficult decision.

very much this, in the weeks before it killed itself the cheap charger was too hot to touch, as was the aluminium part of the MacBook where it plugged in above the speaker – i never left it unattended

quite why i left it as long as it killing itself and nearly the MacBook i don’t know

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve got a spare MacBook MagSafe 1 charger in good condition.

£20 posted?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Both of our genuine apple magsafe2 chargers stopped working due to burning/arcing at the contacts. Both macbooks also needed the charging ports replaced to fix the damage.
    We replaced the chargers with aftermarket alternatives which have been fine for a year or so now.

Interestingly I have an older MacBook (probably 12 years old now) with the older, chunkier magsafe which still works perfectly.

Superficial
    Free Member

For the Magsafe era ones, think I’d stick with Apple. But for the USB-C ones, it’s a standard and is used across loads of other tech so is be happier using 3rd party (recognised brand) chargers.

USB C, right? You should be fine with any adapter that delivers 30W or more. The higher the wattage the faster the charge.

If you hammer it on a 30W adapter it might discharge a bit.

I’m not sure that’s correct. Macbook pros use either 65w or 80w (15″ model). Even 65W isn’t enough to charge the 15″ model during use at high CPU loads. if it even charges at all it’ll be V slow with 30w.

Another issue with really cheap cables is they often don’t carry data, only charge – I’ve had some in the past like that.

The official Apple charging cable won’t do data. Only power.

wl
    Free Member

Simons – Magsafe 2 I need, but cheers anyway.

Thanks everyone. Think I’ll just buy an apple one. Self-employed so it’ll go through the business to save me some dosh.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Apple power cords: fake ones any good?’ is closed to new replies.