Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Apple Pay
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Strangely Barclays haven’t signed up for it yet but Barclaycard have. But Barclaycard have just released a bPay watch/band and a key fob too..

Bit strange IMO, shall have to ask around..

grilla
    Free Member

I paid using my watch in M&S this morning, paying by phone is already old hat.

deadkenny
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member
    Apparently contactless cards (and chip/pin) are pretty rare in the US

You still sign over there and they never look at the signature. Most restaurants you give them the card, they go away, come back with receipt and you sign and leave. “gas” stations you can just put in the card and done. Though some ask for a pin or zip code but seems to be linked to debit cards I think. Never seems to work with a UK credit card.

jfletch – Member
    You just get your phone out of your pocket and hold it over the NFC terminal

Barclaycard sent me some NFC stickers I can put on the back of my phone. Does the same job except the phone battery could be dead and will still work. 😉

Fair point on higher transaction limit but that’s not happening until there’s trust in the system and banks can lift the limit.

Though what happens every 5th time and it demands you insert the card instead and enter the PIN, as I have to with contactless cards? 😉

jfletch – Member
    As for flat batteries. Most modern phones have such huge batteries due to them being incredibly power hungry that if you just turn off the power hungy bits they will last for ages. My iPhone 6 will last for about 4/5 days if I just use it as a phone and for texting and turn off 3g/4g/WiFi etc

Just the problem you need a phone far bigger than your pocket size to fit such a battery.

A Lumia (yeah yeah, Windows Phone) on the other hand, everything turned on, phone fits in the pocket, battery lasts days, and no one wants to nick it. And yes, does NFC payments also if you have the right SIM.

P.S. Anyone know if Apple’s thing works on the tube and London buses in place of Oyster? I know some of the other’s do (EE/Orange’s does at least).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Anyone know if Apple’s thing works on the tube and London buses in place of Oyster?

Yes it does.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Interesting bit on batteries for the normal NFC (non Apple) phones, e.g. from EE, their Cash on Tap (yeah sorry Apple, you didn’t get there first) mentions…

“How does Cash on Tap work when my phone is off/battery is flat?

The Cash on Tap service will work even when your phone is switched off or your battery is low. It is only when your battery is completely flat that the service will not work. All transactions will be recorded on your account which you can see once you’ve accessed your Cash on Tap app or the online account.”

(noting this isn’t EE’s feature, this is stock industry standard feature of NFC having the antenna in the battery, and has done for years now).

Also interesting is with EE’s (and again maybe this is a stock phone feature) you can set it to request a PIN for transactions allowing greater than £20 where terminals will allow it. However they do say “Note: It’s advisable not to use this feature when making payments on the TfL network.”

So yeah, you don’t want to be the guy behind someone with an NFC phone while they faff with it at a barrier on the tube 😉

Not sure Apple Pay has the same facility. Likewise can you use it with the phone powered off, given it has to have access to the wallet stuff in the phone, whereas the industry standard way just needs the NFC chip and valid payment SIM as authorisation.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thanks to the OP for posting this thread. I’d been waiting for this to come live but they kept it a bit quiet I reckon and I missed it.
    Anyway, signed up (NatWest) and used it for the first time today. In 10 years time we’ll all be paying like this, no question. It’s fantastic.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Likewise can you use it with the phone powered off, given it has to have access to the wallet stuff in the phone, whereas the industry standard way just needs the NFC chip and valid payment SIM as authorisation.

Doesn’t the iPhone use fingerprint recognition to authorise the payment, so therefore no worky without power

jfletch
    Free Member

Doesn’t the iPhone use fingerprint recognition to authorise the payment, so therefore no worky without power

Yep, that’s how it works right now – But it doesn’t have to, Apple could change that.

The thing to remeber is Apple Pay was primarily developed for the USA where chip and pin isn’t a thing and contactless is basically non existant. So Apple pay is replacing swiping a magnitic strip and signing something. It’s a huge leap.

For us technophiles in Europe where we have had chip and pin for decades and contactless is widespread, Apple pay is a small refinement. This means the fingerprint for <£20 spends is either a nice extra security enhancement or an unnecessary faff depending on your perspective. Technically it would be easy for Apple/Banks/Retailers to impliment a Euro variant of Apply Pay where the phone behaves exactly like a containtless card below the spend limit (i.e. battery off, no fingerprint) but require a fingerprint for higher transaction limits.

But since it’s a USA focused system that hasn’t been done. This is both a good and a bad thing. Good because it being a success in the USA will give it viability long term, bad because it’s not quite as good as it could be here. But it will get better.

And graphene batteries will last months on a 1 min charge as well! Bring on the future.

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Apple Pay’ is closed to new replies.