Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Apple Pay
  • Three_Fish
    Free Member

awesome your logic is like poo

You sound really bitter. Do you need a hug?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol not really just I passed on the kool aid…

It’ll probably replace my debit card as soon as I can confirm can get cash back if required.

Will charging points be on offer at all shops?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Not sure why, but I am sensing a smidge of anti-Apple sentiment from MikeWSmith.

brassneck

Will charging points be on offer at all shops?

Why would they need to be? Don’t find it terribly challenging to keep a phone operating for a couple of days, and we have plugs in our office. YMMV.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not at all but my debit card works if it’s charged or not, after 3 days out somewhere it still works, I’ll not be swapping mine for mobile payment at any time soon.

Not sure why, but I am sensing a smidge of anti-Apple sentiment from MikeWSmith.

Apologies if suggesting all that apple do is not golden but there is some great make believe going on. Same as nearly everything they invent, just a copy of something else with a massive dose of PR and lock in.

zilog6128

Nothing is that secure, everything can be broken.

Does that include the services you wax lyrical about or are they somehow made immune by your magical awesomeness? Otherwise you’re being a massive hypocrite.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

?? No I was replying to posts like this

Not unless you chop off the owners thumb too, it requires a finger print.

Not being a hypocrite just suggesting that if you think it’s impregnable then you are probably very mistaken.

brassneck

after 3 days out somewhere it still works

It’s not for that though is it? Day to day, just carrying the phone, which I would do anyway will be enough. It’s not anything to do with Apple Pay either really, only it’s the first version getting some traction, and happens to be the phone I use. I used one of those stick on touch pay things for a while, that was an OK solution, just not as elegant. Once I had a contactless card reissued I reverted to using that, so I might with Apple Pay too, we’ll see.

Lets face it, contactless cards are useless in about 90% of the world anyway. I include Dorset in that.

kimbers

when apple ‘invent’ wireless charging then there might well be charging points in shops

itd be nice if there was a google pay on my nexus, but its not that slick with my card, as said above it certainly isnt universal yet
    my QI phone cradle in the car however is pretty darn sweet id say at least a 2.5% improvement

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not for that though is it? Day to day, just carrying the phone, which I would do anyway will be enough.

again I was responding to a specific point which I quoted in my post (which you quoted and decided not to reed obviously)

It’ll probably replace my debit card as soon as I can confirm can get cash back if required.

Having got off planes with a flat phone after an international flight and needing a taxi my cards remain king. Any here in tassie I can use contactless in about 90% of places I go to.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m so dizzy with fapp’idge about this I can hardly tyyypppppppeee…….. 😆

Three_Fish
    Free Member

lol not really just I passed on the kool aid…

You are the Kool Aid. Now step away from the Internet and go get yourself a hug…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sorry I meant I pissed in the kool aid…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It’s still you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

right I apologise for daring to suggest that every turd from apple isn’t gold plated (and patented) contactless payment is a good idea, on your phone great, incorporate things like Oyster and other transit cards, add in some limits as the security won’t be any better than pay pass etc. don’t give up your cards just yet as when your phone dies and it’s your round don’t expect much sympathy. I guess I read stuff and responded to what people said. Perhaps I should just go home.

footflaps

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Perhaps I should just go home.

You’re just unnecessarily annoyed at all of your own assumptions, which you’re projecting into anyone who owns an Apple product. It’s not rational.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OK OK

It’s a perfect tech, it’s 100% secure, it will be fine when my phone went flat as people have suggested…

molgrips
    Free Member

This is only an amazing revoutionary thing if you’re an Apple user. Because, everything Apple do is an amazing revolutionary thing if you’re an Apple user 🙂

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Oh, here’s the other one. Would it worked if you hugged each other? No ‘special’ hugs, though! Who knows what beast that might create!

jfletch
    Free Member

It’s a perfect tech, it’s 100% secure, it will be fine when my phone went flat as people have suggested…

Apparently the number of fraudulent transactions using Apple Pay when it launched in the USA was quite high. It turned out this was mostly people stealing or cloning the physical card and adding it to their own Apple Pay. So the weakest point in Apple Pay appears to be the physical card your bank still send you. Oh the ironing.

As for flat batteries. Most modern phones have such huge batteries due to them being incredibly power hungry that if you just turn off the power hungy bits they will last for ages. My iPhone 6 will last for about 4/5 days if I just use it as a phone and for texting and turn off 3g/4g/WiFi etc.

But I don’t think anyone is claiming you can ditch your plastic cards yet, just that Apple Pay is a neat way to pay now, probably trumps contactless for ease if you have the required kit and will definately trump contactless and chip and pin once the transaction limit is removed by the retailers.

DrJ

not at all but my debit card works if it’s charged or not, after 3 days out somewhere it still works, I’ll not be swapping mine for mobile payment at any time soon.

Hmm … nobody suggested doing that – just using a new method of payment when it’s more convenient to do so.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve
    Gone
    Blind
    😐

stumpy01

DrJ – Member

Hmm … nobody suggested doing that – just using a new method of payment when it’s more convenient to do so.

Erm, I think someone did though…..

brassneck – Member

which was the comment mikewsmith was referring to (I believe) when he said he wouldn’t ditch his cards for mobile payment anytime soon….

teasel
    Free Member

An Apple thread without mikewsmith’s contribution would be really, really nice.

DrJ

Erm, I think someone did though….

Uff. My mishtake … 🙁

sharkbait
    Free Member

and will definately may trump contactless and chip and pin once if the transaction limit is removed by the retailers

As this involves expenditure by the retailer on new terminals don’t hold your breath as they may struggle to see why they should upgrade as it’s not really going to increase turnover.
    Mastercard are also in the process of removing limits for their contactless cards also.

footflaps

An Apple thread without mikewsmith’s contribution would be really, really nice.

I wouldn’t say ‘contribution’ is the right choice of word…..

STATO
    Free Member

brassneck – Member

which was the comment mikewsmith was referring to (I believe) when he said he wouldn’t ditch his cards for mobile payment anytime soon….[/quote]

He was referring to that, by coming up with the suggestion that it would be stupid to travel internationally with only a phone and no cards or cash. 🙄

DrJ

As this involves expenditure by the retailer on new terminals don’t hold your breath as they may struggle to see why they should upgrade as it’s not really going to increase turnover.

Living in Denmark I didn’t use cash from one week’s end to the next. I’m not sure if that was because the banks charged less for card transactions, or if it was a virtuous circle thing, where retailers that didn’t accept cards got fewer customers. Either way, I’m surprised (not really) by the number of retailers here that don’t accept cards, or make a charge for card use. A major gripe is taxis – you need to have up to 50 quid in cash when you get in the car. No wonder Uber is killing them.

mogrim

But I don’t think anyone is claiming you can ditch your plastic cards yet, just that Apple Pay is a neat way to pay now, probably trumps contactless for ease if you have the required kit and will definately trump contactless and chip and pin once the transaction limit is removed by the retailers.

I think the banks will want a few more guarantees before they start lifting the limits – credit cards may not be 100% secure, but the banks understand them and can calibrate the risk. Apple Pay is new, and generally speaking banks don’t like new things.

njee20
    Free Member

A major gripe is taxis – you need to have up to 50 quid in cash when you get in the car. No wonder Uber is killing them.[/quotE]

Plenty of cabs take cards now, particularly in London, I agree though, I rarely use cash for anything.

I’m certainly sufficiently intrigued by this to have signed up today, although I’ve not gone to any participating shops to actually try it.

Mike – your frothing is rather odd. FWIW someone did hack the fingerprint scanner on an iPhone 5S by taking a latex ‘copy’ of a finger print lifted from a glass. To say its down to nothing more than luck seems really stupid. I’m also intrigued by his easy peasy software hack. No one is claiming its infallible, but I’d say it’s a lot more secure than you seem to think.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ll definitely use it, have been using the contactess on my debt card a lot including on the tube/busses.

brooess
    Free Member

One key problem with biometric authentication is what you do once it’s compromised. It’s easy to replace a plastic card, PIN or password. Less easy to replace your fingerprint, eye or face 🙂

Mobile has been touted as the next big thing in payments for nearly ten years now, one of the key challenges being nothing in payments is any good for the consumer unless it works in every shop they go to and everytime they pay ie. at scale. It also has to be better than what they do now. Note that cash still makes up 52% of transactions in UK despite 20+ years of debit cards and longer for credit.

There’s a lot of people playing in mobile payments right now, the opportunity to get hold of our offline purchase data is too valuable an opportunity to pass up. Apple Pay may or may not be the holy grail of mobile payments but their brand is so powerful that they are likely to be a catalyst for new momentum…

Drac

Bugger Halifax isn’t live yet.

brassneck

brassneck – Member

which was the comment mikewsmith was referring to (I believe) when he said he wouldn’t ditch his cards for mobile payment anytime soon….

Maybe I should have added ‘day to day’ to that. Thought I had. I already have a phone case/wallet with the bare minimum in it, would be nice to use any case I liked rather than one I can fit 2 cards and a tenner in most days.
    As it took me 20 minutes to get a taxi from Dublin airport that took a card I think I’ll be travelling with cash and cards for some time yet.

Less easy to replace your fingerprint, eye or face

Use a different finger. Maybe use nail varnish to remember which one 🙂

brassneck

This is only an amazing revoutionary thing if you’re an Apple user. Because, everything Apple do is an amazing revolutionary thing if you’re an Apple user

Nobody’s Apple fappin’ about it, but I’m not aware of an Android / Windows phone equivalent live on the high street (for some users) right now. So you sort of have to mention Apple.

Oh actually bikebouy is … sorry, my mistake,as you were 🙂

teasel
    Free Member

Bugger Halifax isn’t live yet.

I’m sure most of the locals will be relieved…

njee20
    Free Member

I’m sure most of the locals will be relieved…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just used it, Morrisons have a £20 upper limit but I was only paying a fiver.

Works well, it’s as quick as it is in the demos which isn’t always the case.

The fingerprint took a little longer than unlocking my phone, perhaps they’re extra careful with it?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Apple Pay’ is closed to new replies.